Which brokerage do you use?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
fips

Re: Which brokerage do you use?

Post by fips »

Thanks, GandK, looks interesting!

It's one of these choices where you have to be smart about it and really look for what services you need.
It looks excellent if you don't need any service and are comfortable trading on your phone, everything else is super expensive. Now we know how they are funding their service (along with maybe having cut the overhead costs as they claim).

I have no experience with Robinhood yet. Maybe I should check them out during the next stock market crash.

If you trade regularly, you can also get a flat plan at folioinvesting.

BigTR

Post by BigTR »

I did some digging and it appears legit with real money backers. The only issue is it currently only allows iPhone. No droid or web.

fips

Post by fips »

I would be interested in any experiences with Robinhood.
Maybe more brokers will follow suit and offer discount prices to a very narrow set of services.

I wouldn't mind using the phone though as I am using other portfolio management services and my own spreadsheets to track my performance.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

fips wrote:I would be interested in any experiences with Robinhood.
Maybe more brokers will follow suit and offer discount prices to a very narrow set of services.

I wouldn't mind using the phone though as I am using other portfolio management services and my own spreadsheets to track my performance.
I've been using Robinhood for about 5-6 months. It's okay. Free trades are great but 3 days to settle is painful. As in, on a sell of stock, you have to wait 3 days for the funds from the sale before being able to use those funds to make another trade (or withdraw). They came out with Robinhood Instant that gets rid of the 3 days however it's being rolled out like Robinhood itself was so long invite list (and incentives via referrals to jump higher up the list). I use the app on Android and have been happy with it otherwise. I thought my trades were executed reasonably in terms of time and price. But I've only made a handful of trades so far.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Three days to settle is Reg T. The only way around it is for the broker to front you extra money while you wait but behind the scenes (in the back office), stock trades take three days to settle. Before that, you're using other people's money. It's a service/incentive the broker offers in order to make you trade more often and thus pay more in commissions or for them to get more kickback from executing your trades passively insofar they're playing advanced order/fee games.

chicago81

Post by chicago81 »

I'm still using interactive brokers. I think they are terrific in every aspect.

indexmantra

Post by indexmantra »

For active investors, use Interactive Brokers.

For passive investors - use Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, TD Ameritrade if you after commission free ETF's.

Or most probably - 401K plan.

Synthesize

Post by Synthesize »

I have been using Robinhood for the last 6 months and overall I have been pretty pleased (on both android and ios). The UI is pretty good, but I only use the app to make transactions (no research).

Uneducated_1

Post by Uneducated_1 »

Started with TD Waterhouse which is now TD Ameritrade. No complaints. I am looking for another, leaning towards E trade or Fidelity I think.

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

UK

YouInvest (formerly SIPPDEAL) for my SIPP (like a US 401K) and ISA (Like a Roth IRA). No charges for Shares, ETFs. Low charges for Funds.
Also iDealing for an ISA that I retain because I cannot be bothered to consolidate it. They are an execution only broker, with low charges.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Anyone know a bank/broker that would I could liquidate holdings on Monday and have a cashier's check of those funds on Wednesday?
Or a broker/bank combo that has afford wire fees both ways?

I'm bidding on housing auctions, but hate to park so much money in USD, earning next to nothing.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Anyone know a bank/broker that would I could liquidate holdings on Monday and have a cashier's check of those funds on Wednesday?
Or a broker/bank combo that has affordable wire fees both ways?

I'm bidding on housing auctions, about 2 a month, but hate to park so much money in USD, earning next to nothing.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

TD Ameritrade will let you move funds that quickly electronically (ACH deposit) for free once you set up the accounts. If you have a margin account and your account is big enough for the transactions you have in mind, then you can pull the funds out even faster, before you bother liquidating.