Investments Trade Log

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Chad

Re: Investments Trade Log

Post by Chad »

Picked up a little BP today at almost the exact 52 week low. Of course, it will probably go down further, but I'm comfortable owning it at this level.

workathome

Post by workathome »

I'm not quite savvy enough to know what risks there are beyond interest rate changes, but some of the closed end muni funds look interesting.

NIO is selling at a nearly 10% discount with a 6% yield.

workathome

Post by workathome »

LUV 12/20/2014 29.00 Put options

Very small position as a "fun" gamble on Ebola.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I find myself hesitant to post in this thread. It bothers me that some people took a significant hit on SDRL. I posted when I sold it, but it's still bothering me. I feel like I should explain that (1) what I post here is part of my trading fund. The bulk of my money is currently invested in the super-boring Wellington Fund and PIMCO's Income Fund. My trading fund could be wiped out tomorrow and it would not affect our retirement plans. (2) I'm a trader by nature. I'm in and out. Most stocks make my watch list because of their potential for day or swing trades, not long term holding potential. The only stocks I'm holding right now with a long-term horizon are the mREITs. They currently provide enough income to cover our household expenses. (3) I record my trades here in a timely manner, but any delay may make it too late to profit or prevent a loss.

This thread about GTAT is required reading for anyone who's new to the game or hasn't had the skin peeled off them at least once. This link is to the day before the fall. Skim through the next 50 pages. http://forum.thecontrarianinvestor.com/ ... 9/page-499

This post shows (IMHO) a distorted approach that I worry some people adopt wrt ERE. http://forum.thecontrarianinvestor.com/ ... post-20215 I don't want to put words in jacob's mouth, but ERE is about *reducing* risk and putting yourself in a position to absorb negative events (financial or otherwise) without much of an overall effect on your life. It's not about taking a 5-10 year gamble and hoping it pays off.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm lecturing. Well, I guess I am in a way. I just don't see taking risks* as a required part of an ERE plan.

*We all choose to take calculated risks occasionally, but if we've analyzed the risk and know that an epic fail wouldn't ruin our ERE plans, then, to my mind, it really isn't a "risk" at all.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Context is a good idea.

Yeah, most of my comments on here deal with ideas I plan on buying and holding for an extended period of time. Quite different than yours. Though, I do trade every now and then, it's not something I'm especially good at. For me, SDRL was a long-term hold, but the action in the stock and the markets suggest I got in too early, so I sold. I plan on getting in again, as 5 years from now this time will be that big downward blip that you say to yourself, "damn, wish I would have bought then."

I keep about 50-60% of my money in low to mid cost ETFs/funds (There are a couple ideas I like that require ETFs/Funds with expenses in the .5% range). I invest about 30-40% in what I view as undervalued companies (in my opinion BP is an example), with a small portion of that in low risk growth companies like Apple. The rest, about 5%, I hit the risk button hard, if I find something I like.

Also, the majority of my money is in tax deferred accounts, so I don't need to worry about taxes that much.

workathome

Post by workathome »

The GTAT forums make for a very interesting case study. I usually assume most things posted to the internet are BS, but it looks like a lot of people were genuinely wiped out.

I think that is one reason why people recommend doing a lot reading. A good chance to learn form *other people's* mistakes.

(My previous post was an outright gamble, not even a clever trade, and worst case scenario I'd lose a month's grocery budget).

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Chad wrote:Context is a good idea.
That's what I was trying to get across. I don't want people to think I have my life savings in my trading fund. I do have quite a bit of skin in the game, though. DH corrected me a little after he read my post. He said even though we'd be ok if the trading fund and mREITs blew up, it would still really, really suck. :lol:

I just wanted to make it clear that I only play the game with money I can afford to lose. Maybe everyone does the same thing and I had no reason to worry, but I wanted to say it anyway.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Added Chevron yesterday and placed a little more in small cap value fund. I really hope this isn't the end of the crash.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

added a little UWTI.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

jennypenny wrote:Dusted off the trading fund. This morning's watch list ...

CRK
BDCL
CEFL
CLF
EOG
PCL
QEP
RICE
SDRL
SLCA
SN
STO
TNK
I took CLF, SDRL, and STO off of the list for now. Too much attention resulting in too many price spasms.

-------------

FYI ... I received two emails from some big time traders today saying it was time to get back into BDCs.
Last edited by jennypenny on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

bought some RUSL

Chad

Post by Chad »

Anyone have any thoughts on McDonald's for the long-term? Nice dividend (3.74%). Price is basically at it's 52-week low. Profits dropped 30% and it's PE ratio is still only 17 or so. It's getting hammered in Russia due to Putin's closer resemblance to a Mafia Don than a world leader, but that's a minor blip for McDonald's. Plus, management is making menu changes, such as shortening the menu to improve speed of service.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I think MCD will do well enough in the long run to justify a purchase when you spot a discount. My only concern is that their dividend policy is far from set in stone and subject to more fluctuation than the average stalwart dividend growth stock.

Chad

Post by Chad »

George the original one wrote:I think MCD will do well enough in the long run to justify a purchase when you spot a discount. My only concern is that their dividend policy is far from set in stone and subject to more fluctuation than the average stalwart dividend growth stock.
Valid point, but that isn't as big a deal for me. I'm not a pure dividends investor. They are just bonus (which is why I'm also looking at NFLX here). I hold stuff longer-term, but it's not forever. What I usually do is buy stuff that's beaten down, but is a good business. Then I sell it when it starts hitting new highs 2-5 years down the road (usually closer to 2 years) and buy another company in a similar position. So, while I really like dividends. I'm not overly concerned about consistent increases in dividends, as it is highly unlikely I buy and hold a stock for 20-30 years.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

Chad wrote:
George the original one wrote:I think MCD will do well enough in the long run to justify a purchase when you spot a discount. My only concern is that their dividend policy is far from set in stone and subject to more fluctuation than the average stalwart dividend growth stock.
Valid point, but that isn't as big a deal for me. I'm not a pure dividends investor. They are just bonus (which is why I'm also looking at NFLX here). I hold stuff longer-term, but it's not forever. What I usually do is buy stuff that's beaten down, but is a good business. Then I sell it when it starts hitting new highs 2-5 years down the road (usually closer to 2 years) and buy another company in a similar position. So, while I really like dividends. I'm not overly concerned about consistent increases in dividends, as it is highly unlikely I buy and hold a stock for 20-30 years.
Let it all ride on RUSL......could double your net worth in mere months...Live a little....Only live once....:)

slimicy

Post by slimicy »

Doubled my position in SDRL at 22.50, bringing my total cost/share to 25. It's a little heavily weighted in my portffolio at ~ 20%, but my portfolio is still pretty young and I'm OK being risky with a few hold forever positions.

I also added PSEC at 9.20, I'm a fan of the monthly payers.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Took some profits from my previous list. Going heavy into metals today (bars/coins and stocks like AG, SLV, GLD, etc.).
Last edited by jennypenny on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

workathome

Post by workathome »

@jp - did seeing 5-year lows trigger the buy?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Sort of. I use some admittedly odd metrics. It's a combination of having waited a while to add to my prep stash, and a trade play based on (what I think is) an overreaction in silver in particular. I held some money back because I think gold might test one more new low.

5to9

Post by 5to9 »

jennypenny wrote:Took some profits from my previous list. Going heavy into metals today (bars/coins and stocks like AU, SLV, GLD, etc.).
I have been planning to purchase some bars/coins, and this low seems like a great opportunity. Do you have a recommended source, or do you buy locally?