Investments Trade Log

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
GandK

Re: Investments Trade Log

Post by GandK »

We've made a bundle on DAL over the last week.

anomie

Post by anomie »

Kinder Morgan (KMI) is doing us right. Go fuel pipelines! Now the 3rd largest energy company in the US?

Mattel (MAT) is down 10% past 6 weeks. Barbie just isn't selling well this past quarter. Those little girls better buckle up and be nice little girls and buy barbie!

McDonald's needs to suppress its workers a little better. No unions for you, burger-flipper! MCD is down 6.5% this past 6 weeks.

BigTR

Post by BigTR »

Bought WFM Friday. I feel that the price has dropped enough and it's now in an oversold territory. Paying 1.25% dividend.

BigTR

Post by BigTR »

Bought BAC and PIR today. I think they both have good long term value at the $16 level.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Anyone playing the Alibaba IPO?

fips

Post by fips »

@Chad: Nope, not me. Don't like too hot IPOs. Although, AMZN, GOOG, FB are all doing pretty well ...

Another question: With the Dow Jones at another all-time high, is anyone now deliberately short-selling any major markets?

Ydobon

Post by Ydobon »

Added to my usuals:

VANGUARD INV SER UK INV GRADE BD IDX ACC (held to balance my 100% equities pension)
VANGUARD INV UK LT LIFESTRATEGY 60 PERC EQUITY (my main 'ERE fund')
VANGUARD INV UK LT LIFESTRATEGY 80 PERC EQUITY (lifestyling this and the 60% fund allows me to keep at c. 70% equities)

Chad

Post by Chad »

Playing Yahoo for Alibaba did not work very well. Lost a little there being greedy. Not everything can be a winner.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

If you're looking for a BDC, PNNT is a good choice today. Just went ex-div and the sale of shares at 11.65 was already announced, so 10.95 market today is a decent discount.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Anyone looking at the offshore drillers? RIG, ESV, NE

Chad

Post by Chad »

Chris wrote:Anyone looking at the offshore drillers? RIG, ESV, NE
I'm evaluating them again. I bought some Seadrill a few months ago, which is down from when I bought it. Now I have to decide if the initial investment premise still holds for this group of companies. Everything I have seen suggests there is a glut in drilling ships right now. This creates the question of whether this glut is due to over-investment in ships by the drillers, oil companies not finding enough to drill, or the price of oil making expensive drilling unprofitable.

I still hold to a modified peak oil view point, but when that severely impacts companies like this is hard to gauge.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I sold everything last month and got very lucky on SDRL. I'm watching it now but haven't bought it yet, or anything for that matter. I came close to buying BDCL again today, too.

I'm thinking of pulling my money out of a Pimco fund I own. It did well for me this year, and I think I want to get out while I'm ahead.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Chris wrote:Anyone looking at the offshore drillers? RIG, ESV, NE

Tangentially related to the offshore drillers. Keep in mind the source for these articles.
http://www.postcarbon.org/article/19288 ... -the-shale

http://peakoil.com/generalideas/peak-oi ... -the-storm

m741

Post by m741 »

I just dumped some money into GLD. I feel it's a reasonable hedge for equities, and prices seem pretty good right now. Don't really care if it goes down short-term.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

AGNC going to monthly dividends. Interesting.

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

Using up excess funds in a brokerage account after a cash ISA matures: can't get another one as interest rates in UK are bugger all due to QE. So need to make choices. Hate just sitting on the money, am very much a buy and hold forever investor so tend to go for long term quality

Vanguard FTSE Developed EURope VEUR buy 4kGBP
Vanguard FTSE 100 UCITS ETF VUKE buy 4kGBP
TSB buy 547 @ 279p=1526 GBP top up existing holding: long term play on new UK bank
Rolls Royce buy 1500 long term play on their engine rental business model
GDF Suez 752.50 EUR x 3 = buy 2256 EUR on euro energy company
CO OP 42RQ buy -1634 @1.25 or less=Buy 2042 high yield bond in scandal distressed bank
NWF Group 1k @148p=1480 feeding cows in the UK. Seems stable.

Needless to say I have accumulated some dogs over the years. Some day when I have time I will have to put them down. I'm thinking of you, China and Brazil.

slimicy

Post by slimicy »

Bought some SDRL and some SLVO. I've been looking for an entry into Silver for a while and figure SLVO is a little better from a buy and hold divvy scenario than trying to straight trade SLV.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Just an FYI. Small caps have officially had a correction...down a little over 10%. I will probably be adding to small caps here.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Too soon for me. I don't want to invest in anything that hasn't broken through a 52-week low. (I think BDCL and SDRL now qualify, but I'm not ready to jump back in yet.)

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

slimicy wrote:Bought some SDRL and some SLVO. I've been looking for an entry into Silver for a while and figure SLVO is a little better from a buy and hold divvy scenario than trying to straight trade SLV.
that SLVO looks very enticing...with the DIV. Think i'll buy some seeing that Silver is kind of crashing.

I bought some GDXJ today and will slowly add more if it keeps crashing.

Also bought some JNUG at about 9.7 yesterday.