Investments Trade Log

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Chris

Re: Investments Trade Log

Post by Chris »

workathome wrote:I like MCD, it looks reasonably priced. It held its value really well through the last crash, but it's been pretty flat lately. I guess people are expecting much slower growth going forward?
With their expanded menu, I think there's some concern that DNKN will be eating MCD's lunch (so to speak).

Also, input costs due to the drought in the West could hurt MCD this year. But I agree, it's solid long term.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Bought (a lot) more CLF. Fingers crossed. (haha, how's that for an investing strategy?) I bought QIWI last monday and sold tuesday for a quick $1500. That should cover my losses on CLF if I'm wrong. :lol:

Bought a little TCAP and F. Might put in an order for more SDRL this morning.

Taking the rest of the week off from trading. The weather is finally nice so I'm going to work outside. I don't think the market is going to move much anyway.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Anyone have an opinion on POT? I thought it might be a good Medical Marijuana play.

(Kidding, but it does look to be in "value" territory and is hated right now with an all-time-high dividend yield)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@Toska--re: AGNC (Kennedy's articles are very good IMO) http://seekingalpha.com/article/2083543 ... sis-part-3 You might want to wait for a good dip to jump in if you haven't purchased already. There should be a dip at the end of the month when they declare the div (if it's less than expected), or after the ex-div next month (if it's good and you get more traders capturing the div). You also tend to see good dips on on the days mortgage apps come in higher than expected. HTH

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Bought TKC, RGR, MAT and GEOS.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

bought HEMP and FITX
bought AT

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Looking at the marijuana stocks is making me feel pretty stupid for not throwing some money at them before all the CO press coverage started.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

JohnnyH wrote:Looking at the marijuana stocks is making me feel pretty stupid for not throwing some money at them before all the CO press coverage started.
i think you could still make a fortune in a few if you're willing to hold for violent swings....As more and more states legalize, some of these marijuana penny stocks will go up over 5000% percent. I might buy equally a basket of my favorite 5 companies. I will bet that at least one will take off like some already have.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

If we get a big correction in the stock market, what do you think will happen to bond funds? (not just TLT, but corp and muni bond funds)

workathome

Post by workathome »

In 2008, it looks like BND had a rapid 10% crash, but recovered very quickly. Why the quick crash and recover? Fleeing to cash and then interest rates dropping maybe?

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=BND+ ... ff;source=;

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

jennypenny wrote:If we get a big correction in the stock market, what do you think will happen to bond funds? (not just TLT, but corp and muni bond funds)
I don't think bonds will do great in that scenario. I would buy metals like gold/silver to inversely move with a big stock correction. That is my current move.

Chad

Post by Chad »

jennypenny wrote:If we get a big correction in the stock market, what do you think will happen to bond funds? (not just TLT, but corp and muni bond funds)
As Tylerrr points out you will probably get a bigger move in gold, but bond funds would probably go up. Money would flee somewhere out of stocks other than cash. Gold and bonds are the standard refuge in a crash.

I don't think we are quite ready for the big pull back, yet. I like this graph outlining the different psychological states from a bottom to a top and back to a bottom:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2 ... oltz-chart

I agree with his conclusion. We are somewhere around "enthusiasm" with a lean towards "Public." There is a lot of noise with "all time highs" being hit every week or so, but we really haven't seen a big run up recently (less than 3%in the S&P over the last 3 months), which means these highs aren't at nose bleed levels.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

Chad wrote:
As Tylerrr points out you will probably get a bigger move in gold, but bond funds would probably go up. Money would flee somewhere out of stocks other than cash. Gold and bonds are the standard refuge in a crash.

I don't think we are quite ready for the big pull back, yet. I like this graph outlining the different psychological states from a bottom to a top and back to a bottom:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2 ... oltz-chart

I agree with his conclusion. We are somewhere around "enthusiasm" with a lean towards "Public." There is a lot of noise with "all time highs" being hit every week or so, but we really haven't seen a big run up recently (less than 3%in the S&P over the last 3 months), which means these highs aren't at nose bleed levels.
that is a great chart and really shows how I like to personally trade regarding the overall present psychology of markets. I always feel markets follow macro moods. Saying that, my guess is that we are at "greed" or "delusion" on the chart because equity inflows are at record highs from every day people, which historically says the party is almost over....

In addition, housing is incredibly expensive in many of our major cities, which says there is probably another housing bubble in many areas. My buddy in LA makes about 150k per year and he said he can't believe he cannot find a decent condo to purchase in the LA area because they are just too damn expensive. He grew up in LA too.....

My gold stocks have been hammered this week. I've lost a lot of gains, but i'm holding on because I think gold stocks will head higher to wrap up 2014 eventually in unison with an equity downward correction over the rest of 2014.

Of course, we can't time it perfectly, but if i had to guess, I would guess gold/metal stocks will do better than DOW and SPY over the whole 2014.

44deagle

Post by 44deagle »

I'm guessing banks and energy will outperform in 2014/2015 period. They should hold up better in a tightening environment.

archi

Post by archi »

Bought LNCO

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Took some profits on TSO, used it to buy more WMC at $14.52.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Adding WPC. 6% yield, strong dividend growth, though it's slowing due to size of company.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Added TICC, TCAP, and ARCC. Added some more PCL and CLF when they were down.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Any thoughts on what this might mean going forward?
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-0 ... s-why.html

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Guess the world still prefers US debt to their own.