Investments Trade Log

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Chad

Re: Investments Trade Log

Post by Chad »

A good process is better than an extra unpredictable gain.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Forgiveness starts with the self. But actually, its more a matter of setting reasonable expectations -- that you can never expect to buy at a bottom or sell at a top and if you do, it was probably blind luck.

Heck, at least you didn't lose out on a billion: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-to ... atest_news

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

cmonkey wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:45 am
cmonkey wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:57 pm
Sold CAT.
Curious how others have gotten past the kicking of one's own ass for past decisions. :roll:
My rule is to never sell all of an investment(*). At least keep the gains as stock and let it ride. It seems whenever I break this rule with major stocks, I inevitably regret it (AAPL, LMT)... both of which prompted ass-kicking of self.

(*) Unless your broker charges you extra for odd lots.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Good points. I'm still figuring out my own process actually, and have made some strides over the past few months.

Recent activity includes dumping CMI, JNJ, HP, HPE (& DXC), WEN and LEG. Added MHLD, TGT and QCOM. Eyeballing GME and HRB.

Chad

Post by Chad »

GME is always enticing with that stupid high dividend, but they will have to sell something other than video games to still be around in 5 years. They have already lost the entire PC gaming market to Steam. The console games are also going this direction and I doubt it will be long before they are all downloads. If you buy it don't plan on holding for multiple years.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Agreed, it's more speculation than investment right now. They have been diversifying quite a bit in recent years (Simply Mac, Spring Mobile, Think Geek, Kongregate) as well as entering the DLC market. I think there is a bit of weight to their claim of the console cycle affecting sales as well.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit »

Seppia wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:37 am
Sorry, you said erg, not eni, you're right.
On Engie, I guess we will see. This is a long term play for me.
German E.on is doing a similar thing and also took a beating earlier this year, but I remain confident, cleaner energy is here to stay I think, when even companies like Royal Dutch say that natural gas is their future I think it's a sign.
Hi Seppia,

I was wondering, for an european investor, how do you see Royal Dutch at the current prices?

Do you have better ideas? I was thinking about buying Neste Oyj, a finnish energy company.

Thanks!

bryan

Post by bryan »

shorting INTC (more) before earnings. Probably because I like to lose money in this account..

TSLA again:
One thing that just occurred to me is that the full electric semi may be more for port/hub intracity operations? Good news for places like LA, Houston, NYC, NOLA, OAK, and all those cities in China. I have no idea of the break-down of costs of semis used intra-city vs inter-city, though. Also, the semi may open the door for successful retro-fitting operations.

edit: apparently etfdb.com has recently gimped their free offering (upgrade for $200/yr!). Are there any good free alternatives? I used it mostly for stuff like http://etfdb.com/stock/TCTZF/ (should show you ETF's with high allocation to e.g. $TCTZF) in combination w/ http://www.xtf.com/ETF-Factsheets/CPER (shows you some stats of ETF e.g. $CPER).

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Considering MOS after today's drop. Not sure it's the right time quite yet, but prices are firming and their cost management looks good. They also have a decent amount of cash on the balance sheet and so can support the dividend.

bryan

Post by bryan »

bryan wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:25 pm
More stronger than expected earnings coming from $YELP. Nullified almost all my paper profits from that particular trade. I maintain my long term SELL rating.
Closed my short position for YELP today, though it could keep going down in the long term. I feel good about the profit level.

For my real portfolio, opened a position of JJC (copper ETN) as part of my commodity/precious metals asset allocation. I would prefer to have some of the physical stuff but I can't really store it so easily. Might think about it more in the future.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I bought a little SNAP today. FB is a goliath and Instagram is doing well, but it seems to be in a different space than SNAP. I do think SNAP will be problem for them going forward. SNAP seems to have captured the under 25 or 30 market fairly well. Once they figure out how to manage everything a little better they should be a real competitor. Of course, no way to be certain.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

You must have a stomach for high beta. I've lost mine over the past 6 months. Sold LC yesterday for just over break even.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I'm comfortable with it on certain stocks. I expect it from SNAP, so I'm fine with it. I would not be fine with it from a company like T, VZ, etc., which are both starting to look go. Especially, T.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Dunkelheit wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:18 am
Seppia wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:37 am
Sorry, you said erg, not eni, you're right.
On Engie, I guess we will see. This is a long term play for me.
German E.on is doing a similar thing and also took a beating earlier this year, but I remain confident, cleaner energy is here to stay I think, when even companies like Royal Dutch say that natural gas is their future I think it's a sign.
Hi Seppia,

I was wondering, for an european investor, how do you see Royal Dutch at the current prices?

Do you have better ideas? I was thinking about buying Neste Oyj, a finnish energy company.

Thanks!
Sorry for the wait, I'm trying to go on an internet detox and I connect less often to the forum.
It seems I got lucky so far with Engie, up ok since late January.

Royal Dutch is my largest holding among stocks, I have started buying it when I started investing in 2004 and never ever sold a single share, always reinvested the dividends.
25€ is historically an average price, it could be had for ridiculously cheap not long ago (the lowest I bought it was at 19, it went all the way down to 17.9).
Right now in Europe I cannot find anything that I consider super cheap, so I put my active investments on hold for now (I invest my excess money 50% on auto pilot in index funds and 50% actively) and I'm building up cash.

Had I to buy something I guess I would either go for Generali, Engie (still cheap in my opinion) or royal Dutch.
Royal Dutch is an impressive cash machine, almost all the return comes from dividends

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit »

Seppia wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:08 am
Sorry for the wait, I'm trying to go on an internet detox and I connect less often to the forum.
It seems I got lucky so far with Engie, up ok since late January.

Royal Dutch is my largest holding among stocks, I have started buying it when I started investing in 2004 and never ever sold a single share, always reinvested the dividends.
25€ is historically an average price, it could be had for ridiculously cheap not long ago (the lowest I bought it was at 19, it went all the way down to 17.9).
Right now in Europe I cannot find anything that I consider super cheap, so I put my active investments on hold for now (I invest my excess money 50% on auto pilot in index funds and 50% actively) and I'm building up cash.

Had I to buy something I guess I would either go for Generali, Engie (still cheap in my opinion) or royal Dutch.
Royal Dutch is an impressive cash machine, almost all the return comes from dividends
Seppia, thanks for your detailed reply! I feel in the same position as you, struggling to find value somewhere. Finally I bought some RDSA, basically atracted by the (maybe unsustainable) dividend, and will buy more if it goes down. By the way, what do you think about its competitor Total? Its dividend is lower but still >5% and seems less indebted.

Greetings,
Dunkelheit

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Total is the other oil major I used to own when I was living in France, but now that I live in Italy I have sold it because of the double taxation on dividends.
There are some forms to get the extra taxes paid back, but they are an administrative pain.
Any dividend from French companies gets taxed 30% first (the French rate), then another 26% (the Italian rate).
If you live in Europe (I guess you do since Burzum is not well known in the USA - I'm a big fan by the way) you'll probably get the same double tax.
Not sure if you love in the USA, they maybe have ADRs or whatever they are called, like for royal Dutch.
One underestimated advantage of royal Dutch is their dividend reinvestment program (scrip).
Instead of paying out the dividend, they give you the equivalent value in free stocks, so basically you pay NO taxes today.
Example: say your gross dividend is 102€, and the stock goes for 25€.
If you take the cash you get 102€, minus the 15% Dutch tax, minus the 26% Italian tax, getting approx 64.16€.
If you ask for the dividend in stocks, you will get 4 stocks for 0€ added to your total, plus 2€ in cash taxed the normal way.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit »

Seppia wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 2:06 am
Total is the other oil major I used to own when I was living in France, but now that I live in Italy I have sold it because of the double taxation on dividends.
There are some forms to get the extra taxes paid back, but they are an administrative pain.
Any dividend from French companies gets taxed 30% first (the French rate), then another 26% (the Italian rate).
If you live in Europe (I guess you do since Burzum is not well known in the USA - I'm a big fan by the way) you'll probably get the same double tax.
Not sure if you love in the USA, they maybe have ADRs or whatever they are called, like for royal Dutch.
One underestimated advantage of royal Dutch is their dividend reinvestment program (scrip).
Instead of paying out the dividend, they give you the equivalent value in free stocks, so basically you pay NO taxes today.
Example: say your gross dividend is 102€, and the stock goes for 25€.
If you take the cash you get 102€, minus the 15% Dutch tax, minus the 26% Italian tax, getting approx 64.16€.
If you ask for the dividend in stocks, you will get 4 stocks for 0€ added to your total, plus 2€ in cash taxed the normal way.
Hi Seppia,

Thanks for such a valuable information! You guessed well, I am an spaniard, so I will suffer unfortunately the same double taxation issue. Thanks for sharing this info about the Shell's dividend reinvestment program, I will contact my broker because it seems the most tax-friendly option. I didn't give much importante to this double taxation, but as you say, it is a painful administrative work. I still have taxes to recover from Nestle since 2015...

It is a pity that for Total the reinvestment plan is only possible for french residents. Do you know more european companies with a good yield and this option?

Greetings,
Dunkelheit

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

VZ has dropped back into the 5% yield range, so consider adding it if you're wanting a telecom.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

George the original one wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 2:14 pm
VZ has dropped back into the 5% yield range, so consider adding it if you're wanting a telecom.
I have VZ and think every day about selling it (but the dividend!). I'm worried about debt levels, especially with the Straight Path purchase. What are your thoughts on this?

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

T is also above 5% again and has much better debt/book value, although that might change if/when they buy TWX. It all depends how they put the merger to work, same with VZ.