Nicotine Gum

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Smashter

Nicotine Gum

Post by Smashter »

I did a deep dive into nicotine research and found that it has tons of benefits when decoupled from cigarettes.

I've been chewing one 4mg piece of gum per day for a while now, and I love it. I find it helps with creative writing and general focus. I guess there was a reason so many famous writers smoked.

Am I crazy to be doing this? Anyone else tried something similar?

Chad

Re: Nicotine Gum

Post by Chad »

It seems a lot of recreational drugs help break down our resistance to creative ideas, if done in small amounts. Alcohol seems to do this, as well as marijuana, and based on this article LSD:

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitne ... ng-w481249

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

This guy does pretty cleverly designed, blinded self experimentation on himself with nootropics. He was underwhelmed with nicotine.

@Chad. I remember reading something by Terence McKenna years ago where he convincingly argues that civilization developed in part from hallucinogens letting humans have ideas they otherwise were incapable of having. (Nothing else McKenna says makes sense unless you are on drugs.) The connection between creativity and hallucinogens seems convincing, considering synesthesia=crosstalk between usually isolated brain regions, and creativity is the connection between usually isolated ideas.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Is the nicotine gum addictive?

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

I would say yes, but not any more so than caffeine. I have taken 3-month breaks from nicotine gum and been fine. No cravings or weirdness. But a two-week break from coffee? Whooo boy, that is rough.

I do have an addictive personality, so I should probably be more careful than I am. I am one of those "the only thing worth doing in moderation is moderation" type people, so when I like something I tend to go all in.

Also, for what it's worth, I've never smoked a cigarette. This wasn't started out of a prior addiction.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

@ThisDinosaur hahaha, pretty much spot on about McKenna. I went through a short phase where I used to listen to him while inebriated and thought he was an incredibly smart guy. Then I listened to him while sober and...not so much. He was also a huge proponent of the whole Mayan calendar/something HUGE is going to happen in 2012 type thinking. That never resonated with me, no matter what mindstate I was in :D

I do think his description of what it's like to take DMT (the most potent psychedelic drug in the world) is fascinating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VavdCpewQbA