How to quit coffee?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
TopHatFox

How to quit coffee?

Post by TopHatFox »

I'm not convinced coffee is that great. It seems to dry out skin, remove water from the body, cause some anxiety, etc.

I am a pretty casual drinker (at most one cup a day, maybe 2 during big project deadlines), but I'm considering just switching over to green tea or something.

James_0011

Re: How to quit coffee?

Post by James_0011 »

Checkout: http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml

Also, "The fact that a taste of chocolate can provoke a wild lust for more chocolate, or that once cigarette renews the addiction, does not mean that the presence of chocolate or nicotine in the blood creates a craving. Rather, it is that an organism in an unstable state perceives the availability of something which promises to partially restore the desired stability." - Ray Peat

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute is literally drinking coffee as he's reading this.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Cold turkey would be the simplest approach. :lol:
Alternatively gradually reducing consumption, but if you experience headaches when going with smaller doses, cold turkey would be best, just to get it over with.

How can you be sure coffee is causing these problems though? Have you run controlled experiments? Life without coffee would be... bland.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

I went cold turkey about two weeks ago. After a day of headaches, and a few more of general fatigue, you mostly just have subjective caffeine cravings. My sleep quality is definitely better. The first cup of coffee after going three or more weeks without makes me feel invincible, like Kurt Russell in Big Trouble in Little China. I'll probably start up again next week.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Quit nirvana? :o

People have been drinking coffee for thousands of years. One or two cups a days won't hurt you and is certainly not an addiction. If you want to quit, simply stop buying it at the grocery store*.

*As a member of this forum, I won't even assume you are buying individual cups 8-)

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

When I quit drinking Irish Breakfast tea (because I got tired of paying 80 bucks for a bag that only lasted me about 3 months) I just quit. I took aspirin for a couple of days which prevented any headaches that would have happened, then nothing. Now I drink a protein shake in the morning (more expensive than coffee or tea!) but maybe I'll start with coffee again. I had a couple of cups of coffee Sunday morning with no ill effects.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Coffee was my soda replacement, so I'm not giving it up so easily! ;)

That said, I'm a lot more aware of my caffeine intake than I used to be. I got major withdrawal headaches when I kicked the soda habit, and didn't want to simply replace that with another delivery medium. I've taken a liking to decaf, and in the mornings I make my own half-caff. It provides all the same flavor I like, but without the caffeine shakes or withdrawal lows.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Zenhabits has a bunch of good posts on this.

Honestly, replacing with green tea is way easier than stopping. You keep a hot drink that gives some energy and the whole ritual around it instead of having nothing.

You'll get a smoother high from the caffeine in green tea. I get anxious from coffee too so I only use it if I'm on a deadline.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Step 1: Quit drinking coffee
Step 2: Why would there be a step 2?

Seriously, I have done this a few times. I like coffee, and I drink lots of very strong coffee. But, I build a tolerance. So, when drinking coffee no longer has the effect I want, I stop. Then, after a few months, I drink it again.

Seems pretty simple.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Tyler9000 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 2:20 pm
decaf
:evil: :evil: :evil:

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

vexed87 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 3:02 am
Tyler9000 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 2:20 pm
decaf
:evil: :evil: :evil:
I'll add another :evil: for free. Decaf provides the negative (stomach acid) side of coffee without the benefits. I tell DH that caffeine makes me smarter, happier and more beautiful.

I used to quit drinking coffee about once a year because I was concerned about getting headaches every time I quit (I'm well aware that this makes no sense whatsoever). About 5 years ago, I made a New Year's resolution to quit quitting coffee, and I've kept strong. :lol:

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Water it down.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Tyler offers the key yet the minions clutch their chains. The caffeinated gods are pleased. :twisted:

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Haha, re-read this thread, replace the word coffee with heroine, and caffeine with dopamine and we see why we have a problem. A culturally acceptable problem, non the less. :roll: :twisted:

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Introducing HighWaters: the perfect refreshing drink.* Comming soon to a store near you.

*Disclaimer: Side-effects may include refreshing memory also.

TimeTravel

Post by TimeTravel »

I used to drink coffee years ago. Had a 2 cup a day habit. Not too much but enough.

When quitting, I quit cold turkey. Did suffer caffeine withdrawal headaches :( for about a week, but I survived.

Here is a link of someone keeping a journal of his week of quitting:

http://www.theyoganomads.com/survive-5- ... nt-sucked/
Seems like everyone I know regularly drinks coffee or another form of caffeine. Since everyone is doing it, it must be ok, right?

In this guide to beating your caffeine dependency, you will find:

Common side affects of caffeine
Why I quit cold turkey
Day by day analysis of the first 7 days without caffeine
Benefits of 21 days without caffeine
How to best handle caffeine withdrawal symptoms
Alternatives to coffee

Like many people with demanding jobs I used caffeine as a crutch. Also, I truly love the taste of coffee. Nothing better than waking up early on a Saturday, turning on some good tunes, cooking a nice breakfast and then enjoying a home brewed cup of perfection.

For the past 5-6 years I’ve been drinking between 300-500mg of caffeine per day (standard 8oz coffee has ~100mg). My typical workday would be a medium cold press from Caribou Coffee (or home brewed) and then a small coffee/tea in the afternoon to ‘keep productivity high.’

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

TimeTravel wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 10:33 am
Had a 2 cup a day habit.
it's not a habit until 5 cups a day

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Wait. You guys measure in cups? Of coffee, or grounds?

TimeTravel

Post by TimeTravel »

BRUTE wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 pm
TimeTravel wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 10:33 am
Had a 2 cup a day habit.
it's not a habit until 5 cups a day
Probably true :D .

Yet, even 2 cups a day gave me headaches when quitting.