Swimming in sea/lake

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Stahlmann

Swimming in sea/lake

Post by Stahlmann »

I caught myself paying for swimming pool even I have access to the sea (quite easy, I can combine it with biking to it) and lakes (probably 1 day project to get there, swim and go back).

The temperature of the water is 10C at the moment and water is not ,,polluted with" frog spit yet.
After some readings I see that there is quite high danger with back currents.
I have got float so it could help me somehow.

What are your experiences?
Any thoughts?

ThisDinosaur

Re: Swimming in sea/lake

Post by ThisDinosaur »

Naegleria fowleri. Brain amoebas. Its why i dont swim in lakes.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

+ mycobacteria, especially if you have certain risk factors (autoimmune, lung). You have to know your own risk factors.

If there's one lake where you think you'd like to swim frequently, test the water. It doesn't cost much to send off a sample and then you'd have peace of mind.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I swim in rivers and lakes in Oregon. I've swam across the Columbia at Hood River about 10 times. Last September my triathlon had the swim in Foster Reservoir in Sweet Home, OR. I hate pools.

wheatstate

Post by wheatstate »

Swimming is the fountain of youth. In the groups that I am involved, the swimmers seem to be aging the best; healthiest, most active and engaged. I would say the health benefits outweigh the financial costs of swimming in a pool. Personally, I swim in an indoor pool in the winter, and outside in the summer. Sometimes, I add swimming with a group in a pool in the summer because it is a great way to start the day.

For me, the risk of Naegleria fowleri is low enough to risk natural waters. I am more likely to drown, be hit by lightning or in a car accident, than contract this parasite. I recognize and respect that others risk levels and local waters are different. Naegleria fowleri would be an awful way to perish.
From the CDC;
The risk of Naegleria fowleri infection is very low. There have been 37 reported infections in the U.S. in the 10 years from 2006 to 2015, despite millions of recreational water exposures each year. By comparison, in the ten years from 2001 to 2010, there were more than 34,000 drowning deaths in the U.S.

I would focus on doing the swimming first, and whenever possible doing the bike/swimming in the sea. I have never regretted a day that I combined those two activities.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

OP does the government not do regular checks of the water safety quality and post them online somewhere? Certainly they do in the country I live so I always check that first. Brrr 10 degrees is freezing. No wonder you dont swim there. I wouldnt want to at those temps/

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Pools, small lakes, great lakes, seas, rivers, ponds, granite pits, all fun! You should likely avoid water under 15 degrees Celsius, except for a brief nippy dip. DO NOT make use of a float in situation where you are not sure you are a strong enough swimmer. You can swim parallel to the shore at a depth in which you can still easily stand up and walk yourself out if you are at all concerned about your ability. It is always best to use the buddy system, or at least have some other people within shouting distance when you are swimming in a large body of water.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Keep your head above water and don't swallow. :P

10C is a touch cold for swimming... in Oregon, the Pacific Ocean is wade-able at that temperature for about 30 minutes, but you don't really want to swim in it without thermal protection.

I've inadvertently dunked myself in 3C water when fishing... I could feel my body warmth disappear in mere seconds. Thankfully I was wearing wool and warmed back up once clear of the water.