Is it unhealthy to eat the same meals daily?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Chad

Re: Is it unhealthy to eat the same meals daily?

Post by Chad »

What kind of weird digestive tract do you have that likes brussel sprouts? :) I just eat them now and then to prevent myself from eating the same stuff all the time.

I'm not sure the "No rot diet" would be a big seller, but it's probably a good rule of thumb.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

If it don't rot, don't eat it. Like, if not even the bacteria and fungi want it....

OTOH, the ERE wiki loves bulk storage of storable staples. And civilization more or less depends on them. Heuristics work, until they don't.

bryan

Post by bryan »

ThisDinosaur wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 5:19 am
Soylent makes the easily refutable claim that it is complete nutrition.
Anything really troubling here? I think the only real knock I hear about it is that they target the FDA Recommended Daily Values which lots of folks don't agree with. Then again I still have a bag of 1.0 laying around.. maybe something indeed off with soylent since my body never craves it, whereas I get very diverse cravings (or aversions) otherwise.

Main thing I eat almost every day (before/after #vanlife) is a breakfast of oatmeal (half water, half milk, always w/ cinnamon, usually w/ frozen blueberries, rarely w/ banana, often w/ a drizzle of maple syrup) and coffee+whole milk. Usually mix it up on the weekend with cheese grits, rarely pancakes, toast variants, or breakfast tacos.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Chad wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 10:10 am
What kind of weird digestive tract do you have that likes brussel sprouts? :) I just eat them now and then to prevent myself from eating the same stuff all the time.
Must be the sulfur. Because I'm a hellion. Roast 'em up with a little bacon for "dressing" and there you go.

Of course, I also enjoy bone marrow, liver, tripe and goat, so YMMV. :o

I hear foreign/invasive iguanas have become rampant in Florida and are being harvested for meat now by the enterprising. Not available here, yet.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Chad wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 10:10 am
What kind of weird digestive tract do you have that likes brussel sprouts?
You don't like Brussels sprouts? :shock: They're like tiny cabbages grown by little elves in a hollow tree! I need to introduce you to my sister, who scorned Brussels sprouts but called lima beans 'little pocketbooks of goodness'. I would have worried about family genetics, but she was clearly left under the doormat by aliens.
Last edited by halfmoon on Fri May 05, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

World Peace will be achieved when everyone eats brussels sprouts simultaneously and experiences digestive tranquility.

Ok, they give some people gas. But we'll take care of them. That's probably been the issue with humanity all along. :lol:

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

ThisDinosaur wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 5:19 am
@brute
Counterpoint:Lard.
what's wrong with lard?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

ThisDinosaur wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 11:14 am
OTOH, the ERE wiki loves bulk storage of storable staples. And civilization more or less depends on them. Heuristics work, until they don't.
ThisDinosaur is confusing "healthy diet" with "diet that will sustain civilization". different heuristic.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

@bryan, the reliance on the FDA DRVs is less concerning than the assumption that modern science knows every single nutrient chemical needed to sustain a human being in good health. Or even the conditions under which they are absorbed and used. The field of nutrition research is loaded with unknown unknowns, so my opinion is its best to remember we evolved to eat plants and animals.

@brute, humans have spread to every continent and dominated this planet following the adoption of the neolithic diet. I won't argue that its perfect. Just that its good enough.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

ThisDinosaur wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 8:02 pm
@brute, humans have spread to every continent and dominated this planet following the adoption of the neolithic diet. I won't argue that its perfect. Just that its good enough.
no argument there.
ThisDinosaur wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 8:02 pm
@bryan, the reliance on the FDA DRVs is less concerning than the assumption that modern science knows every single nutrient chemical needed to sustain a human being in good health. Or even the conditions under which they are absorbed and used. The field of nutrition research is loaded with unknown unknowns, so my opinion is its best to remember we evolved to eat plants and animals.
it's not just unknown unknowns. there are known knowns that "nutritionism", of the kind that Soylent is based on, ignores. not all fats are alike. not all proteins are alike. not all forms of certain vitamins or minerals are alike. there are several different types of magnesium salts, for example. they absorb in different parts of the digestive system at different rates. magnesium citrate is a laxative. there are also magnesium carbonate, chloride, hydroxide, manganese, oxide, sulfate.. probably more.

similarly, sources of fiber vary dramatically in their effects on the digestive system. this is true for pretty much all nutrients, and therefore pretty much all food. "hacking" together a few things that meet the FDA requirements and claiming it is "nutritionally complete" displays an amazing lack of nutritional understanding.

heyhey

Post by heyhey »

@Wads to go back to your first post, if you are still here ;)

Have you considered the concerns some people have about storing and reheating rice? I wouldn't keep cooked rice more than 2 days. In fact, in your situation I'd make the veggie/beans combo in big amounts but cook rice fresh each day.