Is it unhealthy to eat the same meals daily?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Michael_00005

Re: Is it unhealthy to eat the same meals daily?

Post by Michael_00005 »

If you are getting your dietary plans from Dr. Greger, you’re a thousand miles out in front of the rest of the group! We all know how bad people are with their money and finances, but the disaster in our health care system or nutritionally knowledge is like comparing the match to a forest fire. If you’re not current in nutrition, your almost certainly babbling nonsense in any health topic, because we were taught nonsense growing up.

It’s baffling to hear people talk about eating fish, Omega 3s, or needing more protein; unfortunately we’ve been brainwashed and sold out to the highest bidder! How nice for the fishing industry to invent bogus studies and then sell you a worthless oil so they can pad their pockets, or the beef industry telling us we need more protein. When is the last time anyone has ever met someone with a protein deficiency… never. And something like 98% of the population are deficient in fiber. And by the way, fiber, nuts and fruit consumption are the top predictors of good health. The studies can all easily be accessed for free in short 3-5 minute talks on NutritionFacts.org

If you don’t know about the US healthcare system you are in serious trouble when a problem arises. Going into a hospital unaware is like taking a nap in a thug infested alley with your entire savings strapped to your back and a big flashing sign on your bag saying, "life savings"! It is more than worth your time to study up on 5 issues:
• heart disease & type II diabetes (both reversible through diet),
• cancer, (watch “Healing cancer from the inside out”
• Alzheimer and
• super bugs. (both covered in notes below)

If absorbed one talk + book (below) will give you greater healthcare knowledge than 95% of the population in regards to health, and 97% of doctors. It's really not a Dr.s fault, the drug companies have cornered higher education, and in essence med school produces nothing but glorified drug dealers... the more you research the system the more appalling it all becomes. The sad fact is most will think the facts above exaggerated.

It’s worth noting, the truth must be wanted for it to be found, a poor diet is very addictive and is likely to strike a nerve with one caught in it's web.

Book: "How Not to Die" &
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/uproot ... -of-death/
Last edited by Michael_00005 on Thu May 04, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

It's easy to make money off of other people's fear from any perspective. I should really stay out of this debate since my diet/exercise regime could best be described as the Stocky Squatting Peasant Woman Plan. For instance, I just ate leftover homemade chicken gaumki (stuffed cabbage in tomato sauce)roll, with sour brine sheep cheese, half an onion bagel, and another cup of black coffee for my lunch. Follow my plan only if you wish to wince upon viewing video somebody took of you riding away from him upon your bicycle. It is only a good plan for an extremely bleak future in which you think it is likely you may be hacking turnips out of some frozen tundra in mid-February in order to survive.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

ThisDinosaur wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:07 am
As far as restrictive diets go, veganism is a pretty good one, because it defaults to high nutrient-per-calorie foods.
brute disagrees. veganism doesn't restrict bad stuff more than good. most vegans happen to also clean up their diet off junk while going vegan, but the two are completely unrelated.

as example, brute will list a few vegan things:
- french fries
- pizza (minus cheese, which only makes up a tiny percentage)
- trans-fat-laden margarine
- corn flakes
- white bread
- sugar
- hyperinflammatory pressed corn oils

in fact, all the bad things in the SAD are vegan.

if a human were to go anti-vegan, i.e. restrict the diet to animal products, the result would be much healthier. there are almost no unhealthy animal products. in fact, brute can't think of any that are sold for regular consumption.
ThisDinosaur wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:07 am
If there were any edible land plants with adequate B 12, branched chain AAs and Omega 3s, it could be the perfect diet. But there don't seem to be any.
also if there were enough good fats in most plants, or bioavailable protein, or bioavailable minerals or vitamins, and if it was lower in carbs and antinutrients. i.e., if it was an animal product diet.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

@brute
Counterpoint:Lard.

99% of the benefit from most restrictive diets comes from eliminating "processed" (ambiguous) foods. Exceptions to this rule include juice cleanses and soylent. Juice is just sugar water free of any micronutrients. Soylent makes the easily refutable claim that it is complete nutrition. I agree with BRUTE that a diet high in animal protein can be very healthy, but i dont think avoiding leafy greens and fruit is a good idea.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yeah, your digestive tract might have something to say about that. Mine never saw a brussel sprout it didn't want to process. "Git in mah bellay!"

But there are also plenty of processed meats you probably want to stay clear of, a/k/a don't "Snap into a Slim Jim." I think the jury is still out on hormones vs. grass fed, but wilder meat usually tastes better. And goats.

Anything that doesn't rot relatively quickly on its own is probably not something you want to try to digest. I seem to recall some experiment -- maybe it was from "Supersize Me" -- where the fast food french fries didn't rot for weeks.

There are other oddities/unusual situations that can be brought on by eating the same thing all the time. I was listening to some interview of Tony Robbins (maybe on Ferris podcast?) where he said that he gave himself mercury poisoning by eating swordfish all the time for an extended period. So it happens.

Chad

Post by Chad »

What kind of weird digestive tract do you have that likes brussel sprouts? :) I just eat them now and then to prevent myself from eating the same stuff all the time.

I'm not sure the "No rot diet" would be a big seller, but it's probably a good rule of thumb.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

If it don't rot, don't eat it. Like, if not even the bacteria and fungi want it....

OTOH, the ERE wiki loves bulk storage of storable staples. And civilization more or less depends on them. Heuristics work, until they don't.

bryan

Post by bryan »

ThisDinosaur wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 5:19 am
Soylent makes the easily refutable claim that it is complete nutrition.
Anything really troubling here? I think the only real knock I hear about it is that they target the FDA Recommended Daily Values which lots of folks don't agree with. Then again I still have a bag of 1.0 laying around.. maybe something indeed off with soylent since my body never craves it, whereas I get very diverse cravings (or aversions) otherwise.

Main thing I eat almost every day (before/after #vanlife) is a breakfast of oatmeal (half water, half milk, always w/ cinnamon, usually w/ frozen blueberries, rarely w/ banana, often w/ a drizzle of maple syrup) and coffee+whole milk. Usually mix it up on the weekend with cheese grits, rarely pancakes, toast variants, or breakfast tacos.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Chad wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 10:10 am
What kind of weird digestive tract do you have that likes brussel sprouts? :) I just eat them now and then to prevent myself from eating the same stuff all the time.
Must be the sulfur. Because I'm a hellion. Roast 'em up with a little bacon for "dressing" and there you go.

Of course, I also enjoy bone marrow, liver, tripe and goat, so YMMV. :o

I hear foreign/invasive iguanas have become rampant in Florida and are being harvested for meat now by the enterprising. Not available here, yet.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Chad wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 10:10 am
What kind of weird digestive tract do you have that likes brussel sprouts?
You don't like Brussels sprouts? :shock: They're like tiny cabbages grown by little elves in a hollow tree! I need to introduce you to my sister, who scorned Brussels sprouts but called lima beans 'little pocketbooks of goodness'. I would have worried about family genetics, but she was clearly left under the doormat by aliens.
Last edited by halfmoon on Fri May 05, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

World Peace will be achieved when everyone eats brussels sprouts simultaneously and experiences digestive tranquility.

Ok, they give some people gas. But we'll take care of them. That's probably been the issue with humanity all along. :lol:

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

ThisDinosaur wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 5:19 am
@brute
Counterpoint:Lard.
what's wrong with lard?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

ThisDinosaur wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 11:14 am
OTOH, the ERE wiki loves bulk storage of storable staples. And civilization more or less depends on them. Heuristics work, until they don't.
ThisDinosaur is confusing "healthy diet" with "diet that will sustain civilization". different heuristic.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

@bryan, the reliance on the FDA DRVs is less concerning than the assumption that modern science knows every single nutrient chemical needed to sustain a human being in good health. Or even the conditions under which they are absorbed and used. The field of nutrition research is loaded with unknown unknowns, so my opinion is its best to remember we evolved to eat plants and animals.

@brute, humans have spread to every continent and dominated this planet following the adoption of the neolithic diet. I won't argue that its perfect. Just that its good enough.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

ThisDinosaur wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 8:02 pm
@brute, humans have spread to every continent and dominated this planet following the adoption of the neolithic diet. I won't argue that its perfect. Just that its good enough.
no argument there.
ThisDinosaur wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 8:02 pm
@bryan, the reliance on the FDA DRVs is less concerning than the assumption that modern science knows every single nutrient chemical needed to sustain a human being in good health. Or even the conditions under which they are absorbed and used. The field of nutrition research is loaded with unknown unknowns, so my opinion is its best to remember we evolved to eat plants and animals.
it's not just unknown unknowns. there are known knowns that "nutritionism", of the kind that Soylent is based on, ignores. not all fats are alike. not all proteins are alike. not all forms of certain vitamins or minerals are alike. there are several different types of magnesium salts, for example. they absorb in different parts of the digestive system at different rates. magnesium citrate is a laxative. there are also magnesium carbonate, chloride, hydroxide, manganese, oxide, sulfate.. probably more.

similarly, sources of fiber vary dramatically in their effects on the digestive system. this is true for pretty much all nutrients, and therefore pretty much all food. "hacking" together a few things that meet the FDA requirements and claiming it is "nutritionally complete" displays an amazing lack of nutritional understanding.

heyhey

Post by heyhey »

@Wads to go back to your first post, if you are still here ;)

Have you considered the concerns some people have about storing and reheating rice? I wouldn't keep cooked rice more than 2 days. In fact, in your situation I'd make the veggie/beans combo in big amounts but cook rice fresh each day.