How to minimize flatulence? :D

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
TopHatFox

How to minimize flatulence? :D

Post by TopHatFox »

Did he really go there?

Yeah, he did. :lol: Hot tips for minimizing flatulence~~~? Bodies are different, though there are certain factors that help, such as using new water when making beans or not eating wheat if one has celiac's disease. I've read that eating all organic food helps as well, and soaking all grains before cooking.

Any courageous souls out there willing to brave this ever so important question!? (5-year-old jokes allowed)

BRUTE

Re: How to minimize flatulence? :D

Post by BRUTE »

reducing fiber, especially indigestible fiber. it is really the only substance that humans routinely eat that the body cannot digest (hence the name), so it rots in the intestines and gives Olaz gas.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Eat higher up the food chain where the source material has already been flatulated out of the calories.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

Eat foods that are easier to digest. Grains, beans, and nuts are extremely difficult for humans to digest.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I don't try to minimize it. I just don't care.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentiveness #firstworldproblems :mrgreen:

Some bullet points
  • Microbial gut is aligned and optimized to a regular diet. One flora digests beans. Another digests big macs. Changing it => farts. (Eating beans regularly is not a problem. Eating beans once a week. BOOM!)
  • Farts are a waste product of digestion. But may increase diversity of microbes, such as the ones who eat so-called indigestible fibers.
  • Diversity is good. Last thing you want in your gut is a monoculture! See C. Diff. Nasty and potentially fatal imbalance!
  • As long as you're just counting cells, the number of foreign (most gut) cells inside a human is on the same order as the number of human cells (skin, blood, brain, etc.) inside a human body, so 10-25-50% or so. A human being is basically a symbiote of E. Coli & Co and "human". Without a good working relationship with your gut bacteria, you'll be either sick or dead. Conversely, a good working relationship means you (meaning maybe your human brain cells?) are semi-indirectly capable of enjoying a wide variety of different food stuffs as opposed to just one specific sugary-saline IV solution of a diet.
  • Farts are often caused by undigested food reaching the large intestine (high throughput?)
  • You might be swallowing air when you eat. Especially if you're not any good at burping.
  • Methane and other simple gases don't smell. What smells is sulfur.
  • W/o gas, it gets a lot harder to move shit forward. Solicit a volunteer to put an ear to your stomach. If they don't hear something 1-3 times a minute, you're in trouble! [Or maybe just really fat ... I don't know how that works.]

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Good ol' ERE forum pulling through ^^

bryan

Post by bryan »

How do you reduce fiber in your diet if your diet is all legumes? :D

Anyone use asafoetida (hing) or other ingredients (e.g. fennel after a meal)?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

bryan wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:00 pm
How do you reduce fiber in your diet if your diet is all legumes? :D
reduce legumes in diet. animal products do not rot in the gut, require basically no gut flora, and therefore cause basically no gas. exception is dairy for those who're genetically not adapted to consume it, where lactose causes similar issues to fiber. meat is basically good for all humans as they are all adapted to it.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@BRUTE: I have, anecdotally, heard of cases of losing ability to digest meat after long-term vegetarianism.

I guess I am one of the people, for better or worse, who can digest just about anything. Maybe that is why I self-identify as scavenger/omnivore towards freegan/locavore? I have noticed that I crave meat less than most people, and particularly the pretty large, muscular men with whom I often share meals. When I was frugal-feeding my family of four, I had to deal with constant bickering about who deserved the last piece of chicken. I don't crave unsweetened carbs, like bread or potatoes, very much either, but I am a total, irredeemable sugar fiend due to mild cyclothymia.

That said, there is a modern trend towards under-cooking or under-processing foodstuffs that may be contributing to your flatulence. This modern trend is sort of a cyclical reaction to previous trend towards over-cooked or over-processed food. The mushy, boiled can-to-cafeteria-tray dregs of former era have become the mega-force tungsten blade chopped raw woody stalk and semi-toxic berry shakes of this era. One of my amusing-to-me hobby-vices is the creation of elaborate old-fashioned jello-molds. At the turn of the 20th century, recipes that called for encapsulating juice, broth and bits of fruit and vegetables in gelatin were employed as a nutritional aid, part of the process of rescuing the unwashed tenement hordes. These-a-days a similar demographic of street-urchins is fed free government issued breakfast consisting of milk, rock-hard pears, and plastic packages of Eggos Mini French Toast.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:02 am
@BRUTE: I have, anecdotally, heard of cases of losing ability to digest meat after long-term vegetarianism.
brute has heard this as well. there are different enzymes that work on foods in the stomach and intestines, not just bacteria. brute read that proteins and fats are dissolved by the enzymes in bile and other fluids. that's why humans who've had their gall bladder removed often have to monitor their fat intake, or they'll just shit it out undigested (=diarrhea). presumably, the body has the ability to up/down regulate various enzymes to adapt to the current diet. brute has certainly noticed that going from high-protein to high-fat or vice versa takes a few days to adapt for him.

bryan

Post by bryan »

In an off-topic tangent.. someone please share when Tim Ferris (or some other life hacker) decides to have a voluntary ostomy, stoma.

(it's something I've googled.. the #vanlife dream of not having to worry about finding a toilet).

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute doesn't know what that is, but didn't Ferriss have a poop transplant?

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:02 am
One of my amusing-to-me hobby-vices is the creation of elaborate old-fashioned jello-molds.
Do you mean like this?

http://www.makeitlikeaman.com/2014/07/0 ... ello-mold/
No kidding, this is a lot of work. But believe me, when you roll into your party and pop the top off your tote to reveal this monster, it will become part of what defines you. I brought one of these to a BBQ, at which most of the people had already had maybe one or two beers. A minute or two after serving it, you’d’ve thought Miley Cyrus showed up with Justin Bieber on a leash.
:lol:

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@halfmoon: I can only hope to aspire to such artistry.

BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

The cure for flatulence caused by eating beans is to eat more beans more often allowing the body to adapt. You've got to build up your tolerance, it's like getting into Jazz music, starts off kind of nasty but ends up being a good life decision.

Apparently soaking is also unneccesary.

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/l ... story.html

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

or just not eat beans, thereby eliminating farts.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

but I like beans </3 :P

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Any interesting way to do so in case of living "real life TM"?
I thought about supercharging beans on Friday, then Saturday and from next week adding a bit more to everyday eating routine.

I observed some solutions tend to be eliminated due to social pressure...