A ledger of personal bests

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Solvent

A ledger of personal bests

Post by Solvent »

I'm going to finally note down in a secure location all of my personal bests*, in terms of physical performances, so I don't need to rely on my failing memory. This is both for posterity, but also so that I have an objective measure of performance for hobbies/habits I float in and out of. For example, I used to be a competitive swimmer in high school. I don't actually remember my best times exactly (although I have an idea, plus/minus a few seconds). Now, some fifteen years later, I would actually like to have a better idea of what they were so that if I get in the water and train for a few months, I have some kind of standard to measure progress or decrepitude against.

Hence, I'm going to note down a bunch of my personal bests. I think I will also note down empty spaces for things I don't know, but should find out - for example, how fast can I run 10 kms? If you were going to make a list, what would you put on it?

I'm just brainstorming here, please join in:
  • 5km and 10km runs.
  • 100m and 400m freestyle swimming.
  • 1500m open water swimming (this is for convenience partly, because I have a record of it, but I guess 1500m in a pool is a more controlled environment)
  • Best deadlift, bench press, and squat
  • Max no. of pullups or chinups, ditto pushups
  • Longest handstand held
  • Highest vertical jump
I'd like to add in some kind of throwing for distance feat, but I've never done any throwing sport, and I'm not sure what would be a good household item to standardise on.

*Some people say personal records. Use whatever terminology you feel appropriate.

Extension: Outside of the realm of fitness, what's a list of personal bests you should keep for posterity?

ThisDinosaur

Re: A ledger of personal bests

Post by ThisDinosaur »

I'd like to see if I can meet several personal bests at approximately the same time. Like, perfect score on PFT, beat my 500m time from highschool, highest 5rm for squats, weighted chins and dips, all within a week or so. An undeniable yardstick for "best shape of my life."