Allergy Booster Shots?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
brookline

Allergy Booster Shots?

Post by brookline »

Hi everyone,
I’ve had an allergy to dust & dust mites for some years. The dust & dust mite allergies have become very pronounced over the last few months. I also suspect I’ve developed an allergy to our dog. (I didn’t use to have a major dog allergy.) I got allergy shots for years when I was little. I’m wondering if it’s possible to get “booster” shots to redevelop my tolerance of dust, dust mites, & dogs? Has anyone tried this? Did it work for you?

JL13

Re: Allergy Booster Shots?

Post by JL13 »

In general, they are effective while you are on them and then start to taper off once you stop. From what I've read it depends on the person but they can stay effective for anywhere from 6 months to 20 years after you quit. A big range!

I did allergy shots when I was younger, but I stopped partway through the series. Then as an adult I went through an entire 5 years which ended a year ago. I was generally sniffly being outdoors in the winter/summer and had cold symptoms for much of the spring and fall if I spent any time outdoors. I also had bad allergies to various pets but that was more or a wild card.

Since I've only been off booster shots for a year, I can't tell you how it will play out for me, but they've definitely made my life better. Insurance covered it and I always went on my lunch break at work(and then took another lunch break) so the marginal cost in time and dollars for me was minimal.

If I was starting from scratch or if I decide to do them again, I will investigate the pill version. THey have a dissolvable pill version that you can give yourself rather than driving to the doc for injections.

In regards to your pet, I did live with someone with cats for 3 years and I was viciously allergic at first, so bad that even if I didn't touch them I would have to leave the apartment after a couple hours. but after a while my body got "used to" them and they didn't bother me in the slightest. It took a ong time though! Maybe a year?