What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
BRUTE

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by BRUTE »

what's bad about high food density?

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Do you mean high calorie density? It often leads to overconsumption of calories, generally speaking.

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliv ... -meal.html

Erenymous

Post by Erenymous »

Yeah, if you eat sugar or carbs. It's really hard to eat too much fat or protein.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

It's really hard to eat too much fat or protein.
It's really not that hard?!

Low GI foods help with satiety. Thereby avoiding overconsumption of caloies. https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliv ... carbs.html

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

vexed87 wrote:Low GI foods help with satiety.
good. brute eats lots of fat. fat doesn't have a GI.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Update:
Weigh 205 lbs this morning (5lbs lost since began this thread.)

I've made the following changes:
*No sugar/bread or gluten in the house. There's still some gluten free pancake flour, fruits, starchy vegetables, tortillas, and a few more carby things left. I see low/medium carb for me but way less than I had before.

*No eating after midnight.

*2x24hr fasts per week, typically 4pm-4pm. This is, I believe, the needle mover. I notice I tend to overeat so this makes up for that as overeating even healthy food will lead to fat gain. I try not to have these fasts too close to each other or get in the way of any social events by planning them out ahead of time. These make my life more convenient since I'm not thinking about food all the time and fasts aren't hard now that junk food is out of the house.

*Daily biking for a few minutes, enough to get me warmed up and not enough to make excuses for not doing it.

I'm still having vegetable soup every day.

Overall, I'm quite happy. I plan to do this all year then cut down to 1 fast per week and keep the sugar, bread, and gluten as a weekly or less thing.

I also plan to overeat less often but this may be harder to stop. I get a free nutritionist with my health insurance so I'm going to my appointment in a week or so.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

nice. fasting. it works.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Update:

Weighed 202.8lb at my lightest this month.

Still fasting twice a week and got the family onboard to doing 1 of those fasts with me each week. The vegetable soups are helpful in nutrition more than weight loss.

I would've lost more weight if I hadn't bought $15 of chocolate in the first 2 weeks. Got the craving out and I don't foresee that happening again. Also hiked less with all the rain storms. Reconnected with a hiking partner so I've been hiking more with this past week during the intermittent dry days.

The nutritionist appointment was a bit of a let down but refinding intermittent fasting has more than made up for it. I think it'll realistically take about a year losing a pound a week to reach a 6 pack but there's no rush. I see a huge analogy to building wealth in that I've accumulated a debt (excess calories) that I'm now paying off (burning more calories than consume) so I can be patient here. I'm seeing how every meal, every hike vs lazy day all have an effect.

vezkor

Post by vezkor »

Great job Felipe! Keep up the good work :)

herp

Post by herp »

4-5 years ago, I lost just shy of 40lbs. Unfortunately, I gained it all back again due to falling back into old habits and experiencing a long period of work-related stress where I would comfort eat to feel better in the short term.

I think adopting new food habits is really the key. I lost weight by tracking literally everything that I ate. By forcing this new habit upon myself, I became highly aware of how many calories I was consuming during a day and in this way, I started making food budgets. Whenever I got cravings for a particular food (usually something sugary or otherwise calorie dense), I would make note of just how many calories I'd have to spend from my budget to eat it. More often than not, that simple math made me decide not to eat the food in question.

It sounds like a lot of work, and in the beginning there was a lot of measuring required, but as I mostly ate the same varied bunch of foods over a longer timespan, I eventually had a pretty good idea of how many calories were in the meals that I was consuming.

Oh and exercise helps, but nowhere near as much as strict diet control.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

My mantra: 'The point of resistance is in the store.' When I have the urge to buy something other than staples or vegetables, I look at the calorie content for the whole package, because chances that I'll eat a designated "serving" once it's in the kitchen crooning my name are pretty much zero. :mrgreen:

frommi

Post by frommi »

I recommend reading the 4 hour body by Tim Ferris. It has helped me going from 20% body fat to 12% in just 4 weeks, its a ketogenic diet with a free day per week. I still eat that way even if i added more carbs along the way to not go below 12% body fat. I feel now as i am in complete control over my body weight and muscle gain. A diary of my weight, body measurements, food intake, exercise and excrements were very helpful.
What also helped to better understand the human body was the german book "Hormesis: Das Prinzip der Widerstandskraft. Wie Stress und Gift uns stärker machen". Its not available in english but maybe somebody else has a good english book on Hormesis?

In my eyes a diet that makes calorie counting necessary is a diet not worth looking at, because it leaves a lot of variables out of the field and is hard to keep. For example you are not looking at energy lost by heating/cooling the body or what parts of the food are really used by your body. The body is simply not an oven where the food is burned, which is implied by counting calories. Its also a question of timing the meals with exercise. You want that blood sugar to go to your muscles not your belly and therefore it is always important to exercise while dieting. Otherwise you will lose muscle and because of a lower metabolic rate regain more weight after the diet than you had before.

To the fasting debate i would argue that short rounds of fasting are very good for the body because they stress it and cause a hormetic reaction which make the body stronger. (i simply leave the evening meal out on some days). As a by-product It kills cancer cells, because they are not as stress resistant as normal human cells. But long fasts will surely cause long term damage. And i would argue that going vegan or vegetary is not the healthiest way to live, because a little bit of meat each week can make you stronger via hormesis.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

4 hour body advocates a ketogenic diet? doesn't Ferriss advocate the bean-filled slow carb diet?

frommi

Post by frommi »

BRUTE wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 am
4 hour body advocates a ketogenic diet? doesn't Ferriss advocate the bean-filled slow carb diet?
No, he recommends leaving out "white" carbs. But if you love beans, eat beans. Even though its probably wise to not eat only beans.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

> What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Less.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

frommi wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:24 am
BRUTE wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 am
No, he recommends leaving out "white" carbs. But if you love beans, eat beans. Even though its probably wise to not eat only beans.
so it's not a ketogenic diet. just making sure.

frommi

Post by frommi »

BRUTE wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:37 pm
so it's not a ketogenic diet. just making sure.
Are you splitting hairs? :)
If the target is to get into ketosis, why isn`t it a ketogenic diet?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

the goal of the slow carb diet is to get into ketosis?

C40

Post by C40 »

I've read the 4 hour body and I've listened to Tim's podcast for years. I've found that his advice on diet and exercise is so full of shit that it's barely worth listening to. (some of his podcast guests do seem to give very good advice like some russian/soviet guy he had on about a year or so ago, can't remember the name... but then he asks guests know very little about fitness to share their routines and insights as if they matter.) He goes on and on about all kinds of supplements takes himself. He talks them up like they are some special key to whatever. Then a few months later he'll casually mention that he's not taking them anymore because he found out or decided that (those) supplement might have some kind of serious long-term side effect. But oh, he's just found some other super duper magic key supplement or order of doing things in your day...

All that said, slow-carb sounds decent. I'm exaggerating some in the above, but lately I've just gotten tired of some of the stuff he does. Like he'll have some awesome guest with great stories and waste 1/3 of the show asking about the exact order of things the person does when they wake up in the morning, like, "ok, do you meditate and then masturbate? Or masturbate first? And how many minutes do you shower for? Do you brush your teeth before the shower?" A few weeks ago he had a guest going on and on about how special interval training is, but the actual content of the show was incredibly simple and only relevant for basically untrained people, yet presented as the end-all of advice on cardiovascular/endurance conditioning (them seriously saying that like 3 minutes of intense effort is all you'd ever need to do)

frommi

Post by frommi »

C40 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:06 pm
I've read the 4 hour body and I've listened to Tim's podcast for years. I've found that his advice on diet and exercise is so full of shit that it's barely worth listening to. (some of his podcast guests do seem to give very good advice like some russian/soviet guy he had on about a year or so ago, can't remember the name... but then he asks guests know very little about fitness to share their routines and insights as if they matter.) He goes on and on about all kinds of supplements takes himself. He talks them up like they are some special key to whatever. Then a few months later he'll casually mention that he's not taking them anymore because he found out or decided that (those) supplement might have some kind of serious long-term side effect. But oh, he's just found some other super duper magic key supplement or order of doing things in your day...

All that said, slow-carb sounds decent. I'm exaggerating some in the above, but lately I've just gotten tired of some of the stuff he does. Like he'll have some awesome guest with great stories and waste 1/3 of the show asking about the exact order of things the person does when they wake up in the morning, like, "ok, do you meditate and then masturbate? Or masturbate first? And how many minutes do you shower for? Do you brush your teeth before the shower?" A few weeks ago he had a guest going on and on about how special interval training is, but the actual content of the show was incredibly simple and only relevant for basically untrained people, yet presented as the end-all of advice on cardiovascular/endurance conditioning (them seriously saying that like 3 minutes of intense effort is all you'd ever need to do)
Yes i agree, i basically ignored everything where he talked about supplements.