Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
BRUTE

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Postby BRUTE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:46 am

what's bad about high food density?

vexed87

Postby vexed87 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:53 am

Do you mean high calorie density? It often leads to overconsumption of calories, generally speaking.

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliv ... -meal.html

Erenymous

Postby Erenymous » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:30 am

Yeah, if you eat sugar or carbs. It's really hard to eat too much fat or protein.

vexed87

Postby vexed87 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:31 am

It's really hard to eat too much fat or protein.

It's really not that hard?!

Low GI foods help with satiety. Thereby avoiding overconsumption of caloies. https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliv ... carbs.html

BRUTE

Postby BRUTE » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:43 am

vexed87 wrote:Low GI foods help with satiety.

good. brute eats lots of fat. fat doesn't have a GI.

Felipe

Postby Felipe » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Update:
Weigh 205 lbs this morning (5lbs lost since began this thread.)

I've made the following changes:
*No sugar/bread or gluten in the house. There's still some gluten free pancake flour, fruits, starchy vegetables, tortillas, and a few more carby things left. I see low/medium carb for me but way less than I had before.

*No eating after midnight.

*2x24hr fasts per week, typically 4pm-4pm. This is, I believe, the needle mover. I notice I tend to overeat so this makes up for that as overeating even healthy food will lead to fat gain. I try not to have these fasts too close to each other or get in the way of any social events by planning them out ahead of time. These make my life more convenient since I'm not thinking about food all the time and fasts aren't hard now that junk food is out of the house.

*Daily biking for a few minutes, enough to get me warmed up and not enough to make excuses for not doing it.

I'm still having vegetable soup every day.

Overall, I'm quite happy. I plan to do this all year then cut down to 1 fast per week and keep the sugar, bread, and gluten as a weekly or less thing.

I also plan to overeat less often but this may be harder to stop. I get a free nutritionist with my health insurance so I'm going to my appointment in a week or so.

BRUTE

Postby BRUTE » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:21 am

nice. fasting. it works.

Felipe

Postby Felipe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:13 am

Update:

Weighed 202.8lb at my lightest this month.

Still fasting twice a week and got the family onboard to doing 1 of those fasts with me each week. The vegetable soups are helpful in nutrition more than weight loss.

I would've lost more weight if I hadn't bought $15 of chocolate in the first 2 weeks. Got the craving out and I don't foresee that happening again. Also hiked less with all the rain storms. Reconnected with a hiking partner so I've been hiking more with this past week during the intermittent dry days.

The nutritionist appointment was a bit of a let down but refinding intermittent fasting has more than made up for it. I think it'll realistically take about a year losing a pound a week to reach a 6 pack but there's no rush. I see a huge analogy to building wealth in that I've accumulated a debt (excess calories) that I'm now paying off (burning more calories than consume) so I can be patient here. I'm seeing how every meal, every hike vs lazy day all have an effect.

Return to “Health Questions”