Soft drink consumption

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
bryan

Re: Soft drink consumption

Post by bryan »

Drank a lot in high school, gave it up in college. Why? Had to pay for it myself :lol:

Since then the only time I indulge has been for mixing w/ liquor or at sporting events as a spectator (soda seems to help with the hoarseness from yelling).

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

No, not regularly -- maybe a few times a month. Is this a new ERE metric?

I'd be curious to see what the "consumes at least 2 soft drinks per day and watches reality TV" demographic looks like.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

James_0011 wrote: I believe coke with real sugar is actually pretty healthy.
Yeah, and since it contains vegetable extracts, you can count each can as one of 5-a-day...

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

It has been decades since I had a pop (or a soft drink). I probably drink too much coffee, though.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

Bankai wrote:
James_0011 wrote: I believe coke with real sugar is actually pretty healthy.
Yeah, and since it contains vegetable extracts, you can count each can as one of 5-a-day...
The coca leaf and cola seed extracts are valuable antiinflammatories.” — Dr. Ray Peat

"Coke dropped cocaine from its recipe around 1900, but the secret formula still calls for a cocaine-free coca extract produced at a Stepan Co. factory in Maywood, N.J…” —Washington Times (2004)

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

I drink soda maybe a couple times of year. Since I normally don't have much caffeine or sugar, it has a bigger effect on me than on most people, like alcohol for someone with low tolerance. I confess that once in a great while I can get an urge to have a big fast food combo and stuff my face while watching something stupid or funny on TV - a true American experience. The high from the sugar, caffeine, fat, and overstimulating TV show can be pretty powerful if you're not numbed to that kind of thing. It's like a reset after every few months of working hard and eating healthy(ish) foods.

The other 99% of the time, tea without any sweeteners is my favored caffeinated drink.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

I drink it very rarely, and always in the context of an alcoholic beverage.

As a sidenote, I've found kombucha to be a tremendous replacement for soda if you are using the soda simply to add some sweetness to a drink. I have tried this on my college aged sister to make sure she approves, and it passed the test. Although it could just be the case that neither of us are cocktail connoisseurs.

I like to make my own kombucha, and it's come in handy in a pinch when friends have demanded chasers only to realize the two drinks in my fridge are water and kombucha.

CECTPA

Post by CECTPA »

No, I'm too much of a health freak. I don't consume anything containing high fructose corn syrup (labelled as "glucose/fructose" in Canada) or artificial sweeteners.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

James_0011 wrote:Yes everyday. I'll offer a contrarian view here in that I believe coke with real sugar is actually pretty healthy. The way the media portrays sugar is completely false imo, and there are a lot of anti-inflammatory compounds used in coke. Also, there are a lot of health benefits from the carbonation.
I agree that sugar isn't really that bad. It's not good though. It's like something that you use as an additive and in those scenarios it's okay.

In stating that soft drinks to me are just empty calories with no benefit at all.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

steveo73 wrote:
James_0011 wrote:Yes everyday. I'll offer a contrarian view here in that I believe coke with real sugar is actually pretty healthy. The way the media portrays sugar is completely false imo, and there are a lot of anti-inflammatory compounds used in coke. Also, there are a lot of health benefits from the carbonation.
I agree that sugar isn't really that bad. It's not good though. It's like something that you use as an additive and in those scenarios it's okay.

In stating that soft drinks to me are just empty calories with no benefit at all.
If you're interested in learning more lookup a man named "ray peat" and read his writings about sugar, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Papers of Indenture

Post by Papers of Indenture »

I might drink 1 soda per month on average.

My weakness is sweetened Ice Tea.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

If I'm drinking a soda, it's because I'm eating fast food. Carl's Jr, is my wife's favorite. Usually only happens on road trips, or an occasional all day work day at one of our rentals.

I'm much happier drinking beer. I don't know that it's better for me, but I certainly like it more.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Riggerjack wrote:If I'm drinking a soda, it's because I'm eating fast food. Carl's Jr, is my wife's favorite. Usually only happens on road trips, or an occasional all day work day at one of our rentals.

I'm much happier drinking beer. I don't know that it's better for me, but I certainly like it more.
I will drink alcohol because of the enjoyment factor. I'd put money on it that alcohol is worse for you than soft drinks but I get basically nothing out of a soft drink whereas I love beer and wine.

CS

Post by CS »

Don't drink any. Get headaches from the diet stuff - and the sugary kind makes me dizzy. Club soda (aka seltzer water) is the big splurge when I want some carbonation.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

steveo73 wrote:I'd put money on it that alcohol is worse for you than soft drinks
the saving grace is probably that it's hard to drink as much alcohol as some humans drink sugary drinks without becoming a non-functioning wreck. from a metabolic perspective they have surprisingly similar long-term effects.

vezkor

Post by vezkor »

I used to drink an incredibly unhealthy amount of pop aka soft drinks every day (upwards of 1 liter or more). This was back in highschool when I was 245lb 5'10" with very little muscle to speak of (age 16-17). After graduation (age 18) I gave up pop and most processed sugars/carbohydrates in general and started running 5 miles every other day. Quickly dropped to ~165lb, then have flucuated between 170 and 190 ever since (26 now) depending mainly on how active I'm being and how delicious the food within arm's reach is.

In the past 8 years I've gone multiple years without any soft drink at all, but I've also gone multiple months of having one almost every day... I certainly feel better physically when I don't drink it at all. I almost never purchase soft drinks, but there is still half a 24-pack of coke in my pantry from the wedding reception back in July!! I have one from time to time, and the wife really enjoys mountain dew so there seems to usually be a 2-liter in the fridge.

We don't drink any alcohol, though, so there's that! It's 90%+ coffee, tea and water for me.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I probably average 3 a week or so--diet only--non-diet tastes too sweet to me. Some weeks I won't have any, other times I might have a little more. I drink tons of unsweet iced tea.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I can't remember the last time I had soda. The worst I drink sugar-wise nowadays might be dark beer, 100% fruit juice, or tea w/ agave.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

I don't drink soda. It burns my stomach. As a kid, we were only allowed to have soda on special occasions. We got to choose between water or milk, and since I had a sensitivity to milk, I had to drink water. When I was in my young 20s, my first husband could drink a 24 pack in 2-3 days and he had to stop when the caffeine was too much that he thought at times he was having a heart attack! I don't think he ever cut it out completely. Plus, the poison in diet soda is very, very bad for the brain.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I used to drink diet soda daily - and did for years. It tasted sweet and I used it as a way to not eat something that had calories when I was losing weight. But probably the last couple of months I have been slowly weaning myself off artificial sweeteners and have only been drinking it as part of mixed drinks when I go out. It's been a month or two since I've bought soda at all at a grocery store. Hope to completely kick all artificial sweeteners on Jan 1 so maybe I'll finally be one of the cool kids ;)