Exercising is NOT optional. And other Behavioral Motivators.

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
FBeyer

Re: Exercising is NOT optional. And other Behavioral Motivators.

Post by FBeyer »

vezkor wrote:...
What I do instead of "hard and fast" rules, in general, is simply maintain an attitude of being in constant competition with "Vezkor from last year"...
I maintain an attitude of always being in competition with FBeyer in the future.
I always look to where I want to go, not where I was one year ago. That relation to the past holds no value to me unless my environment is completely the same; which so far it hasn't been even once.

My improvement in mathematics over the last year has little value, because where I'm going is a lot more complex than where I thought I was going one year ago. 2016's FBeyer is a better statistician than 2015's FBeyer, but 2018's FBeyer needs to be sharp as a f**** katana if he wants to get the job he's aiming for.

So in the spirit of behavioral motivators: I try to be very defeatist about my past, although not orthopraxically[1] so. We all fall off he wagon from time to time :lol:

[1] I invented a word there I believe.

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

@Dragline: "being able to appreciate other people without feeling a need to either adopt or critique/change their habits."

Having recently re-watched Apocalypse Now, I saw parallels here with Kurtz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxLFdJLSho8

"You have to have men who are moral and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling, without passion, without judgement. Without judgement! Because it's judgement that defeats us."

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

black_son_of_gray wrote:@Dragline: "being able to appreciate other people without feeling a need to either adopt or critique/change their habits."

Having recently re-watched Apocalypse Now, I saw parallels here with Kurtz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxLFdJLSho8

"You have to have men who are moral and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling, without passion, without judgement. Without judgement! Because it's judgement that defeats us."
Now, now -- I said (and meant) "appreciate them", not "kill them". :lol:

But I take your point that our judgment, or more specifically our projections of our inner selves onto others, often interferes with our abilities to see them for what they are and have effective/useful communications with them. (Or just kill them.)

vezkor

Post by vezkor »

@FBeyer

It's funny that you should say that because just yesterday I was talking with DW and she agrees with your mindset 100%. We were talking about our stance on self-improvement and we discovered that, while I like to compete with past-self, she likes to compete with future-self. Of course, neither exist, so it's just how you're framing the idea of self improvement... still very fun to think about :)