How to approach drinking family member / sources on dealing with/helping alcoholics?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Bankai

How to approach drinking family member / sources on dealing with/helping alcoholics?

Post by Bankai »

I confirmed what I suspected for some time – one of my closest family members is an alcoholic.

Now, I very much believe that everyone should take personal responsibility for their own life, however I’m not prepared to write this person off and would like to try to help. Since we live in different countries, my influence is very limited. I consider taking unpaid leave from work for a few weeks to go there in person. As far as I know, they’re not ready to admit they have a problem and they seem to be in the state of denial. Issue however is now noticeable to extended family members. There also seems to be a growing financial problem.

Do you know of any tactics/approach on how to confront person in this situation? Any recommendations on websites/books on subject?

Tyler9000

Re: How to approach drinking family member / sources on dealing with/helping alcoholics?

Post by Tyler9000 »

I'm sorry to hear that.

One good resource might be Al-Anon. Rather than focusing on the alcoholic directly, it supports the friends and families of problem drinkers. I have no experience with them, but I imagine they might be able to point you in the right direction.

IlliniDave

Re: How to approach drinking family member / sources on dealing with/helping alcoholics?

Post by IlliniDave »

It's very difficult to get anywhere with an addict until the addict is ready to make a change in her/his life. I agree that alcoholics anonymous and perhaps similar organizations might help with strategies, but sadly it often takes hitting "rock bottom" before the afflicted person's attention is grabbed sufficiently that they'll make a change which, in the end, is something they must do themselves (although having a supportive family is helpful).

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

Tyler9000 wrote:I'm sorry to hear that.

One good resource might be Al-Anon. Rather than focusing on the alcoholic directly, it supports the friends and families of problem drinkers. I have no experience with them, but I imagine they might be able to point you in the right direction.
Al-Anon is wonderful....