The self-sabotaging body

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
sl-owl-orris

Re: The self-sabotaging body

Post by sl-owl-orris »

While I was never obese, I became overweight at some point in my life due to depression and poor eating habits. I was always against any kinds of diet, but when I could no longer fit in any of my clothes and had to buy much larger size just to be able to go out of the house, I thought that's a yellow card and I had to do something. I tried slow carbo diet that Tim Ferris was advocating because it allowed me to eat meat, which I really liked, and it had one day a week of binge eating. I did loose about 4 kg relatively fast, but I hit a plateau before reaching my target weight and it wasn't sustainable. I would also feel ill on the binge days from all the crap I was eating. This was way before ERE. I found following that diet harder and harder and soon I gained back everything I lost and more. I was also suffering from many health related issues, such as skin allergies, food intolerance, insomnia, permanent reflux, persistent colds and depression.

This is when my husband suggested that I read "Eat to live" by Dr Fuhrman. That was it. I focused on getting healthy and the weight loss came along by itself. This diet is sustainable, and it makes me happy to eat so many fruits and veggies. I can see myself eating like that for the rest of my life. Volume-wise I think I eat more now than I used to when I was overweight, but the nutritional quality of food is so much better. Instead of processed food, bread, meat and diary, the focus is on fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, oatmeal, rice and occasional fish. My health issues are almost gone. Few months ago I also adopted warrior diet (I eat the same stuff as on Dr Fuhrman's diet but keep the warrior diet schedule), mainly to organize myself better, and I find that health benefits are great. The fast during the day and eating at night have tremendous influence on my energy levels. Needless to say, I reached my target weight (going down from 75kg to 55kg) which now stays at the same level for the last half a year. I suspect this may be my "natural" weight.

I don't like physical exercise and I had many failed attempts at different sports and exercising routines. This is the area of my life which I need to work on, mainly because I understand the need to keep my muscles strong to delay ageing and I want to be able to outrun any danger I can't defeat (which is probably any danger :lol: ). Nevertheless, I still think it's possible to loose weight by diet only and I would go as far as to claim that what and how much you eat is overall more important than how much physical activity you have.

BRUTE

Re: The self-sabotaging body

Post by BRUTE »

-1 for Tim Ferriss' diet (cheat days are a dumb idea) and +1 for warrior diet :D