Whole body with emphasis lower

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
7Wannabe5

Re: Whole body with emphasis lower

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

SpartanWarrior said: Secondly, I do believe you always want your heels flat on the ground during a squat (or deadlift). This is where the power for the movement comes in. There may be variations but the correct form for a standard barbell squat involves the foot firmly planted, toes in line with knees. If you can't get all the way down with the heels planted, it's a hamstring flexibility issue and you need to work on practicing the form and increasing flexibility first (or, alternately but not preferably, just don't go down so deep; stop before form is compromised).
I don't think I explained very well because there are two different definitions for squat. I always keep my feet flat when I am doing the exercise called a squat. I meant that I am usually up on my balls when I am in the semi-relaxed gardening position squat with my thighs on my calves. In the video clip I posted, Neil Keleher shows how to be in the all-the-way-to-the-ground thighs on calves gardening position with feet flat. With the deadlift, you are still starting only from the middle of a full seated squat and then going up, not starting all the way down with thighs on calves and then moving your thighs up towards mid-position. I won't link because maybe improper, but in other context it is sometimes called Asian Cowgirl.

I thought about trying to get under the barbell from the other side of the bench, but I was too timid. Anyways, starting with the deadlift is a good suggestion because I think I could at least fake semi-confidence that I know what I am doing. Some of the dumbbells they have there might actually be heavy enough for me to hold while I do squats too. I could ask one of my real life friends to help me, but then I would risk the unbearable weight of bossiness. So, I gotta girl up and do it myself.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I call what Niel does hunkering, after reading Patrick ManManus. I'm great at it. So are all of the southeast Asians at work.

Chad

Post by Chad »

7Wannabe5 wrote: I don't think I explained very well because there are two different definitions for squat.
I don't know who has the second definition, but it's no one who does any type of real physical training. The "heels up" version is usually done by placing plates, boards, etc. under the heels and only done when the person isn't limber enough to do a real squat with heels on the ground. I would argue that the person doing the training is doing a disservice to their trainee with the heels raised version, as it's giving them a pass on proper form. This usually results in injury.

Also, deadlifts aren't focused on legs like squats. Here is a good example of the differences in hip level for the two exercises.

http://stronglifts.com/deadlift/hips/

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

enigmaT120 said: I call what Niel does hunkering, after reading Patrick ManManus. I'm great at it. So are all of the southeast Asians at work.
"Hunkering" it shall be. I figured out my problem with hunkering. Once again I just needed to place my feet a bit further apart (too many narrow rectangle or V-shaped people in exercise videos.) Now I can roll right up from the ground into a hunker, then rise straight up into a standing position, and then squat right down into ass-to-grass hunker again repeatedly. I usually sit on the carpet in front of a low desk with my feet tucked under, so hip flexibility (in that direction) is not an issue for me.
Chad said: Also, deadlifts aren't focused on legs like squats. Here is a good example of the differences in hip level for the two exercises.
Interesting. I think that is how I "naturally" usually lift banker boxes full of books (up to 40 lbs approximately) off the ground, but I always thought that I should be squatting more. I injured my right hip around 15 years ago because I was helping unload 100s of boxes of books off a truck most days in solidarity with my team, and I didn't correct my pigeon-toed stance. I am now thinking that maybe I would be better served tolerating some bossiness and embarrassment rather than risking injury, so I will ask for some help.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Spartan_Warrior wrote:You are right, of course, that it's possible to vary the intensity of bodyweight exercises by using more force, but IMO it is not as easy to do so in a consistent and measurable way as it is with simply increasing weights.
I consider that the ability to vary the load on-the-run a strength rather than a weakness. Using fixed weights, I fail out when the weakest link in chain reaches failure. However, by being able to instantly vary the force required, I can refocus on other links and thus reach failure on those as well. IOW I can max out several muscle groups instead of the weakest. It's like using an instantly adjustable DB or BB. Clubbells inherently have that feature. For BBs you need a couple of quick assistants. Now, I can't measure this quantitatively but I can definitely feel the impact.

Example, I'm doing squat jumps. First thing to fail are quads, so I can't jump high anymore but I can still squat. So I stop jumping but keep squatting.

Again, this probably works for me because my "autobiography" needs widespread damage to enact physiological changes.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

My mid-life venture into the realm of strength-training is going even better than expected. I went back to the intimidating gym and there were a couple of other women there, so I felt a bit more comfortable. Unfortunately, I did not have my reading glasses with me, so I could barely read the numbers on the sides of the weights, let alone the instructions on the machines, but I made some attempts anyways. One of the more young and buff individuals laughed at me in a friendly way, saying "That's okay." as he witnessed me setting the pin lower and lower on the chest press machine.

The good new is that my weight has stayed the same, but my waist-to-hip ratio has dropped to .70 and, more importantly, the latitude of my maximum hip measure has migrated more than an inch in the opposite direction of the force of gravity. I have been mostly good about staying off the sugar, although I must admit that it may be the case that instead of Polish pastry I am eating fresh-baked thin stretchy pita bread with creamy white cheese and dates, and it has occurred to me that big buckets of honey, still on the comb, are available at a not unreasonable price at the market down the street from me. I also find myself rather confused about whether the vast variety of interesting sausage meats made by the old-world-style butcher right in his shop around the corner from me are all likely to kill me sooner rather than later. Is it okay to eat a pressed meat made out of the brains of pigs if no nitrates are thrown in the mix and it was never wrapped in plastic and shipped on a truck?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Of course, the downside of this new strength-training practice is that it seems to be raising both my blood serum testosterone and happy juice levels, and therefore further promoting my already a bit-over-the-top practice of blatant sexual objectification of the over 50 male population of my locale. OTOH, this is an otherwise under-utilized or appreciated resource, so it is kind of like finding stuff on the curb.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Sounds good! :D Keep it up.

BTW, x2 Chad's deadlift reference and info if you are incorporating that movement. I agree it's not as focused on legs. It will, however, strengthen your lower back tremendously, aiding in posture, which will likewise help the goal of a more prominent posterior. In fact, there is some speculation that a load-bearing spine curvature is as much responsible for attractiveness as gluteal size: http://news.utexas.edu/2015/03/19/men%E ... nary-roots

You could consider a stiff-legged/straight-legged deadlift as an alternative (or supplemental) lift, I think that will focus more directly on hamstrings and glutes than an ordinary deadlift. But, you won't be able to lift as much.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@SW
Interesting article. It makes a lot of sense. Another subliminal cue we don't really think about.

I completely agree with your analysis of the deadlift. It would still help 7W5 move towards her goal, just in a slightly different way than squats (as you mentioned).

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

7Wannabe5 wrote: OTOH, this is an otherwise under-utilized or appreciated resource, so it is kind of like finding stuff on the curb.
I could laugh and cry at the same time.

Hey, at least the processed meats (yum!) won't give you prostate cancer.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Spartan Warrior said: In fact, there is some speculation that a load-bearing spine curvature is as much responsible for attractiveness as gluteal size
Yup. What really makes the older guys crazy (because they sometimes don't have so much hair anymore themselves) is if you straighten your hair so it drops all the way down to that part of your back. Of course, I've only got a few more years left myself until I will be too wrinkly in the face to wear my hair long like that (sigh), so I have to make hay while the sun shines...or something like that.
enigmaT120 said: I could laugh and cry at the same time.
An elegant work of perma-culture may have that effect on people. I take a little bit of skill/knowledge from this forum, combine it with some resources/skills I have at the ready, integrate the result with an underutilized vector of masculine energy and then I get the loan of a truck, three dinner dates, promise of museum outing, promise of help with digging project, promise of movie and a nature hike, free professional photography, AND calls made by influential individual to important media figures to promote my ecological political protest. So, the youngsters on this forum may live in a less toxic world in the future as a direct result of helping me with my exercise program, and I have lots of fun.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

Here's a challenge.

I modified a yoga routine.

Three legged table (one leg extended), curl the toes on the down foot, lift knee and push into three legged dog, return to three legged table. x15 each side

It works the thighs going up and down and hip flexors staying straight.

*Im not a doctor and don't recommend doing something that's painful. I am playing around and might be doing something wrong and not know it.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Toska2: Yeah, that's pretty killer. By happenstance, my sister who is a yoga-fiend has insisted that I add endurance in reverse table top pose to my new routine. I'm not the most naturally physically intelligent person, so I sometimes find that my limiting factor is making the brain through nerves to muscle connection or finding the form. Like if somebody just puts a fingertip where I should move or relax a muscle then I can move or relax it, but I can't directly command the movement or relaxation with my brain.

It's sort of interesting how health and fitness have become an overt sorting mechanism when dating at mid-life. I really think that this is not just due to correlation with physical attractiveness, but also preferring the company of somebody who will promote or affirm some of your better practices. Of course, this is also mitigated by the desire to be accepted along with some of your worse practices. For instance, I liked the man I met for dinner last night because he is 6'1" 34 inch waist, is currently focusing on knee strengthening and trail-running for exercise, is a self-aware/reformed-foodie/cookie monster, and he didn't auto-pilot order a drink. Also, he grabbed my leg under the table. You would think after 37 years on and off the dating market, I would have learned how to act offended when that sort of thing happens, but sadly that is not the case. In my defense, it was mitigated by the fact that he said I was "cute" and opened all restaurant and car doors for me, which is pretty good for a Gen-Xer. Baby Boomers, like the man I met for coffee earlier in the day, I expect to stand when I excuse myself from the table or return to be seated,and make use of adjectives such as "lovely" or "adorable." S-P-O-I-L-E-D (but not rotten ;) )

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

There's also the notion if you don't love yourself how can you love anyone else? A healthy mind and body is an easy signal.