How to avoid all cancers?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Ego

Re: How to avoid all cancers?

Post by Ego »

jennypenny wrote: Oh yeah, don't forget sunscreen.
For the record, I use sunscreen daily and wish I had done so with consistency when I was younger. That said, I found this study interesting.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 12496/full

Women with active sun exposure habits were mainly at a lower risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and noncancer/non-CVD death as compared to those who avoided sun exposure. As a result of their increased survival, the relative contribution of cancer death increased in these women. Nonsmokers who avoided sun exposure had a life expectancy similar to smokers in the highest sun exposure group, indicating that avoidance of sun exposure is a risk factor for death of a similar magnitude as smoking. Compared to the highest sun exposure group, life expectancy of avoiders of sun exposure was reduced by 0.6–2.1 years.

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

Best way to avoid cancer is not to have a family history of cancer.

Failing that some people have tried the 'live fast die young' approach that would preclude most cancers - not recommended by most though.

However the longer one lives the higher the chance of some cell division going awry.

So it is quite a conundrum you see.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Ego wrote:
jennypenny wrote: Oh yeah, don't forget sunscreen.
For the record, I use sunscreen daily and wish I had done so with consistency when I was younger. That said, I found this study interesting.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 12496/full

Women with active sun exposure habits were mainly at a lower risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and noncancer/non-CVD death as compared to those who avoided sun exposure. As a result of their increased survival, the relative contribution of cancer death increased in these women. Nonsmokers who avoided sun exposure had a life expectancy similar to smokers in the highest sun exposure group, indicating that avoidance of sun exposure is a risk factor for death of a similar magnitude as smoking. Compared to the highest sun exposure group, life expectancy of avoiders of sun exposure was reduced by 0.6–2.1 years.
What I can't tell is whether it was the sun exposure that directly reduced mortality. Is sun exposure just a measure of an active lifestyle? That would explain the reduction in cardiovascular disease. I've wondered the same thing about other studies that measure sun exposure.

Personally, I think there's probably a balance that can be struck. I don't lather up when I take my dogs out or do a bit of light gardening in the morning. I always use some form of sun protection at the beach or on a boat because the sun is so much stronger.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

RealPerson wrote:
7Wannabe5 wrote:...and the other half of us do the secluded, celibate, mole-rat eating fortified soylent paste lifestyle? And then we can compile statistics in 30 years.
Where do we find volunteers for the second test group?
I think they're in the "living digitally" thread. :lol:

Ego

Post by Ego »

JL13 wrote:
RealPerson wrote:
7Wannabe5 wrote:...and the other half of us do the secluded, celibate, mole-rat eating fortified soylent paste lifestyle? And then we can compile statistics in 30 years.
Where do we find volunteers for the second test group?
I think they're in the "living digitally" thread. :lol:
...and in the UK, though I can't imagine we are any better...

http://time.com/4272459/u-k-kids-spend- ... tudy-says/