How to maintain a full head of hair for longer?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
TopHatFox

How to maintain a full head of hair for longer?

Post by TopHatFox »

Curious, what have ya'll found works as far as keeping a nice full head of hair for longer in your life? (This is a preventative post as of yet). I imagine a healthful, unprocessed diet and exercise would be just about all one can do. That and not having a stressful job.

It's fascinating how much value society places on hair--baldness drugs and services are billion dollar industries.

Thoughts?

7Wannabe5

Re: How to maintain a full head of hair for longer?

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/165071/sti ... ttle-soup/

Very easy to forage or grow. I have some of ornamental variety growing around a cherry tree. Apparently works towards preventing the conversion of free testosterone into DHT. Of course, castration would also work.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Genetics. Dad still has most of his at age 87. Brothers-in-law are mostly bald by age 40.

I wouldn't fight it too much. Spend your energy on something that you have more control over.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

7Wannabe5 wrote:Very easy to forage or grow. I have some of ornamental variety growing around a cherry tree. Apparently works towards preventing the conversion of free testosterone into DHT. Of course, castration would also work.
:lol: this would have athletic performance benefits as well? Do you have any witches brews for grey hair? :D

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

I sometimes hear balding being blamed on too much testosterone, not sure if that's just nonsense or not. You could find ways to reduce your testosterone in that case, for instance you could drink soy milk & eat lots of soy products for the phytoestrogens.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@JL13- lol- Yeah, it's lucky I am a blonde endomorph or the villagers would likely be after me with pitchforks. Actually, you aren't too far off because I got that tip from one of the "Warlocks" in my acquaintance when I asked him what he did to stay in shape. The majority of the time when I question people who seem to be in great shape about their motivation, vanity turns out to not be insignificant. So, I think it is a good thing that Zalo is concerning himself with such matters already, and not waiting until he turns 40.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

7Wannabe5 wrote:http://allrecipes.com/recipe/165071/sti ... ttle-soup/

Very easy to forage or grow. I have some of ornamental variety growing around a cherry tree. Apparently works towards preventing the conversion of free testosterone into DHT.
You sound more and more interesting with every post. I'd be happy to brew potions together anytime! :D

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Dragline wrote:Genetics. Dad still has most of his at age 87. Brothers-in-law are mostly bald by age 40.

I wouldn't fight it too much. Spend your energy on something that you have more control over.
+1

The one caveat I can offer is that hair loss (especially if it is also thin and brittle) is a very common symptom of thyroid disease that can affect both men and women. Thyroid problems are easily treatable, and the resulting hair loss is reversible.

That said, the most common situation is that you simply drew the balding ticket in the genetic lottery. IMHO, the best thing is to embrace it with confidence rather than fight it. Easier said than done, I know, but I wager a confident bald man is a still a lot more attractive than an insecure balding man or a vain man who obsesses about his full head of hair.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

+1 to @Tyler and @Dragline.

I'm a 22 year old with a receding harline, that's just how it's going to be. Wear short hair, keep it clean, and don't try to fight things beyond your control. We don't have long thick hair left on the rest of our bodies, why do we need it on our heads when we can use perfectly adapted external organs (i.e. hats) to adapt to our every need for warmth, sun protection, etc :lol:?

As for attracting mates, you can still look very attractive when going bald if you are in good shape (see young Jason Statham, etc.). In that case it helps if you have won certain other genetic lotteries as well.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Zalo wrote:Thoughts?
If this has anything at all to do with partner appeal, it's a flawed premise completely. A lot of us girls have a thing for bald guys. Maintenance of a healthy physique is 100 times more important, sexually. (Edit: @slevin is right!) Maintenance of a healthy attitude, 100 times more important romantically.

If this is about your own preference and self-esteem, however, then whatever you want to do with your mane, do it. Unless you become tempted to comb it over. Fight that urge with everything you've got. Seriously.

chenda

Post by chenda »

If you are suffering from male pattern baldness (as opposed to other causes) finastride (sold as propecia and other brand names) is very effective in preventing further hair loss. However, some men experience side effects, in some cases serious and long lasting (erectial dysfunction, loss of sex drive, ejeculation problems etc.)

My ex-bf was on finastride for some time and experienced sharp shooting pains in his testicles, so we did some research online and found online communities of men who have suffered. It's probably only a small minority, but I would do a lot of research before deciding to take it.

Topical solutions, such as minoxidil and ketakozanole (found in shampoo to treat dandruff) are also shown in clinical studies to reduce male pattern baldness. Probably safer that oral medication but as ever, do you own research...

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Minoxidil also works by preventing DHT uptake at the follicle. Might consider that as an intermediate measure between the witch's brews and castration. ;)

billc

Post by billc »

I started balding at 17. Didn't do anything to postpone hair loss. 32 now, mostly bald - I keep it buzzed. Doesn't bother me and caring for it is cheap - have been using the same trimmer for 15 years. Paid $15 for it.

I found it made me seem older which was an advantage in my career in my opinion.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Do you know what prevents looking ugly with no hair?
Motherf**** heavy Military Presses!

llorona

Post by llorona »

Weed. Lots of it.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Castration. Not recommended.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

I'm 42 and have a full head of hair. I also have a crew cut and that is my secret to going bald. If I go bald I figure it won't really bother me.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Last edited by thrifty++ on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lemon

Post by Lemon »

As other have mentioned Minoxidil Might work. It can also have side effects.

Finasteride being the other option, with greater likelihood of side effects.

Personally I will likely choose to go bald over either of these (receding has kicked in). I don't like the systemic nature of Finasteride and cannot be bothered with the frequency of topical application of Minoxidil. I would prefer to stay of medication for which there is no 'health' need.

Hair transplants are the other option although more expensive and the better the job the more expensive. Full head of hair or FIRE a year or 2 earlier?