Coffee: is it good for you, bad, or it depends?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Did

Re: Coffee: is it good for you, bad, or it depends?

Post by Did »

I could recommend a book that tells you why coffee is bad for you, but I won't as I paid someone to write it, and have never read it. Both the writer and publisher (me!) are avid coffee drinkers.

Why you shouldn't believe everything you read....

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

@Did: :lol:

I believe I've read that coffee has been shown to decrease fertility in women for some time afterward--but for all I know that came from Did's book. I know anecdotally that it's possible to overdose on caffeine, but it takes a lot of it, a very sensitive person, or both. Personally, I don't like the taste or the way it makes me feel (jittery, then crash). It also affects my already inadequate ability to sleep. Probably much of this is a matter of tolerance due to my never having developed the habit--but regardless, I consider it "unhealthy for me" due to how it affects me, but I wouldn't call it unhealthy (or healthy) as a blanket statement. Definitely a YMMV thing. I stick to the occasional cup of Irish tea, and strictly before noon. Hm, speaking of which...

zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

So I haven't been around that much this year (though I've been lurking here and there).

While recovering from my TBI I decided to change careers and focus on learning about nutrition on a deeper level so I could help people with what I consider to be the most foundational thing you can do for your health that will impact your health the most. ANYWAYS

For a school project we had to do a "community outreach" so I did a lecture to my practice clients all about hydration, and I addressed the diuretic thing briefly, including coffee, which does have caffeine, and it isn't coffee, but the CAFFEINE that is slightly diuretic, depending on how hydrated you are to start with and how consistent you are with your intake. I didn't go into it as much as I'd like since it was a presentation about hydration and how important it is, but yeah . . . caffeine is slightly diuretic but not as bad as many people would lead you to believe.

Hydration is super duper important, though, so I advise people to stick to the "healthier" amounts of 1-2 cups a day and "make up" for the slightly diuretic effect by drinking more water (with a pinch of sea salt) or broth, etc, as I lay out in the video. You can check it out https://youtu.be/6MhNRxUzCbE?t=12m28s if you want; set to start right before the short coffee discussion.

G_Dog

Post by G_Dog »

@Jacob thanks that was an interesting thread.

I wonder if instant coffee is as good for you; I remember reading that it was high in acrylamide.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

G_Dog wrote:I wonder if instant coffee is as good for you; I remember reading that it was high in acrylamide.
independent of the goodness, it's not coffee. disgusting as hell.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

BRUTE wrote:
G_Dog wrote:I wonder if instant coffee is as good for you; I remember reading that it was high in acrylamide.
independent of the goodness, it's not coffee. disgusting as hell.
I'm no snob but I can't drink instant coffee especially when making a proper cup is so easy anyway.

G_Dog

Post by G_Dog »

@BRUTE,Steveo73 I didn't say I enjoyed instant coffee, sometimes it's your only coffee choice in the UK. That being said things are changing quite fast.

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

I use coffee as a morning kickstarter, and before the gym. Also I suspect as a stabilizing leg of my routine.

I have a wheap whizzo grinder and a simple filter machine with washable filter: makes fine coffee. Would use Cafetiere (French Press) as second choice. Expresso machine too sensitive and fiddly.

Coffee acts on me as a laxative. Assists with the 'routine' part. Nuff said.

Wife drinks decaff. Brother in law drinks instant. Both are thereby worshippers of minor evil, in my book. Tea drinkers get a pass.

I should mention that I have recently succumbed to buying premade canned coffee, Starbucks branded. Also UHT coffee, Emmi branded. I sometimes grab one as a caffeine hit, like a Red Bull, when lacking the impetus/time to make proper coffee. I tell myself is OK because I am buying them on whoopee Special Offer for 1GBP each and I will stop when they inevitably raise the price. But perhaps the marketeers know that's what I'm doing and are faking me out. Sneaky. Whatever, is a blast while it lasts.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I fell off the wagon, probably because the weather changed. Coffee feels so good on cold mornings.

I had instant (Via) the last time we were without power and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Maybe I was just desperate.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Instant doesn't taste bad to me, just different from brewed. In a vacuum, I think it would be fine. As an option, I prefer brewed.