Easy way to make any old desk into a standing desk?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
TopHatFox

Easy way to make any old desk into a standing desk?

Post by TopHatFox »

Do any of you use a standing desk at work or at home? I'm trying to find a way to make any old desk into an ergonomically adjusted standing desk (elbows at ~90, monitor at ~eye level, etc.).

I saw some stuff online that adjusts, such as this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=adjusta ... 3Hi_UaM%3A

http://www.amazon.com/iCraze-Adjustable ... +converter

Seems cheap and un-sturdy, though.

Spartan_Warrior

Re: Easy way to make any old desk into a standing desk?

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

I've found chairs and/or stacks of books or boxes under monitor, keyboard, and mouse do the trick nicely. If you understand the basic ergonomics involved, as you appear to, it should be easy to improvise the right heights. Definitely cheap (which is good), but if it's stacked against a wall or something and you're not a klutz, I don't see how it would lack steadiness or sturdiness on a temporary basis anymore than the commercial products you linked to that more or less do the same thing.

That said, I have encountered some contrary opinions as to the "health and safety" of such practices, so YMMV. :roll: :D

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

I put a straight chair on my desk. It was the right height and had enough room to hold my monitor and keyboard.

I soon found that my feet got sore from standing still for long periods and gave it up.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Some reclaimed timber cut to size to elevate your desk and computer to the correct height would be a cheap DIY solution ;)

alternatively, if carpentry is not an option, I'm pretty sure you can pick these up in ikea (coffee tables?)
http://fatjoe.co/wp-content/uploads/201 ... p-Desk.jpg

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Easy ... take a jig saw and cut a hole in the floor in front of the desk. Pop a bucket in there and stand in that! :mrgreen:

skintstudent

Post by skintstudent »

jacob wrote:Easy ... take a jig saw and cut a hole in the floor in front of the desk. Pop a bucket in there and stand in that! :mrgreen:
I tried that but had to replace the floorboards when the downstairs neighbour complained. :oops:

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

skintstudent wrote:
jacob wrote:Easy ... take a jig saw and cut a hole in the floor in front of the desk. Pop a bucket in there and stand in that! :mrgreen:
I tried that but had to replace the floorboards when the downstairs neighbour complained. :oops:
I bet trying to balance on his head wasn't easy, either.