Which Water Filter?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Ego

Which Water Filter?

Post by Ego »

Do you use a home water filter? If so, which one and why?

Thanks!

JasonR

Re: Which Water Filter?

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ego

Post by Ego »

One of my brothers lives in Jersey. He fills up when visiting the other brother and lugs unfiltered Philly water across the Tacony-Palmarya.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

DIY alternative much cheaper, but requires effort, water passes through the charcoal, sand and gravel in top bucket.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/G6AwCiQ68KI/maxresdefault.jpg

Sustainable and you can source the parts yourself in a pinch. Better get used to it before you need to do it.

Dont have audio at work to verify, but this should show you how:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6AwCiQ68KI

Activated carbon is basically crushed charcoal, you can make this yourself at home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otVhpDSbHZk

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I don't use one. I probably should, as there are traces of coli-form bacteria in my spring water. But I don't care.

Ego

Post by Ego »

The water pipes in my building are more than a hundred years old and a lot of half-assed repairs have been done over that time. I'm not concerned with biological contaminants. Lead and cadmium are my main concerns. I use a brita pitcher because I frequently find new, sealed cartridges at the swap meet for a dollar or two, but they don't really do all that well in tests. I need to find a better solution.

@vexed, while I don't have space for something like the one in the video, he had some really good ideas. I used to use pet-store activated charcoal for filtering water through a katadyn carbon cartridge. I need to figure out a way to do that again.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Ego - We're using Brita too, for the same reason. You know you're visiting a third world country when you have to worry about tap water, right? :-P

We haven't upgraded to Berkey because I don't want to lock-in a big system with pricey/obscure filter replacements.

JasonR

Post by JasonR »

o
Last edited by JasonR on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ego

Post by Ego »

JasonR wrote: I apologize while sipping a tall glass of water sweeter than angel tears.
:lol:

Okay, you sold me. The Brita can hold me over until I find a way....

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The Berkey site has refurbished models occasionally that are good as new.

We need to have some plumbing done so we're getting estimates for a whole-house water filtration system. We'll be locked in, but at least it won't sit on my countertop.

NJ water is over-treated and like drinking out of a swimming pool. Philly water is like drinking out of the Delaware. Pick your poison. Literally.

Ego

Post by Ego »

My brother is convinced Philly water is responsible for the distinctive taste of Amoroso's rolls. When he fills up, he sips it like a wine connoisseur. Seriously. He's gotten used to us making fun of his third eye.

I'll have to look at the refurbs. Thanks.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Philly water has a high sodium content. I could believe it affects the taste of products made here.

I grew up in NJ but I can't drink the water there anymore. It smells like a chem lab.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Just use Culligan FM-15RA Level 3 Faucet Filter. I can get it on Amazon's subscribe and save for 15% off. When I researched it a few years ago it was the best run of the mill filter I could find.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000 ... 1_1&sr=8-1

Are the stainless steel berkeys stainless steel inside?
Last edited by Chad on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Thanks for that Chad. At the last place we had one similar to that Culligan. In the new place we have a tiny bar sink. The ancient, miniature faucet cannot support a faucet mounted filter. I've got the budget to renovate it but I don't feel like having a contractor in here for a week. Whenever I'm in the kitchen I feel like I am living in the van again.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@Ego

No problem. I just like the faucet filter, as I can use glass pitchers for storing cold water in the fridge. It limits the amount of time the water is in contact with plastic. Of course, it's still touching plastic as it's filtered, but the amount of time it touches plastic seems to be more important in how much/many chemicals are picked up from the plastic.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Ego wrote:The water pipes in my building are more than a hundred years old and a lot of half-assed repairs have been done over that time. I'm not concerned with biological contaminants. Lead and cadmium are my main concerns.

Have you actually had your tap water tested? I think of water filters like water softeners and the like: a product to fix a "problem" created by clever marketers. Also, filters remove the fluoride that helps keep your teeth healthy. If you are concerned, I would imagine your water can be tested for those contaminants. I would do that before using expensive filters that may not be helpful and possibly harmful.

If your water tastes horrible, that is a different matter altogether.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Would green tea satisfy the fluoride requirements? I drink quite a lot of it.

I have not had the water tested but I've seen the inside of some of the old pipes and supply lines we removed. Scared the bejesus out of me.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The "royal" and "big" berkeys are available in the scratch and dent section this morning. http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-wat ... -and-dent/

Chris

Post by Chris »

RealPerson wrote:Have you actually had your tap water tested?
I did an accidental test once.

Like Ego, I live in a place with older plumbing with a so-so repair history. One night I decided to clean out the shower head by strapping a plastic bag of white vinegar over it, letting it soak overnight to remove any mineral deposits. In the morning, I saw that the bag had fallen down. Left a huge teal-blue streak across the bathtub. Copper (II) chloride, just like in chem lab. That got me thinking...

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The Berkley replacement filters are 15% off today only. Just FYI if any of you have one. They're normally $107 for a set of two.

use code flashfilter15