Freeletics

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
thrifty++

Freeletics

Post by thrifty++ »

I was wondering if anyone on here has made a success of freeletics?
I have been thinking of dumping my gym membership and giving it a go. Exercise using the out doors. I am quite interested in muscular development so I am not sure how well it works in that sense. I have seen advertisements for it talking up how much it can increase musculature as much as weight training but I am sceptical as the ads have vested interests.
So I am wondering if anyone has had success in gaining a good amount of muscle mass doing it? I am thinking it could be another way to trim $80 a month off my budget.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Freeletics

Post by jacob »

Dunno about this particular one. Seems to be some kind of app with lots of clicks to accept to see what it's about?! (I never click to accept.)

You can certainly get muscular on bodyweight exercise, but it's a different kind of muscles than body building or power lifting. Think gymnastics + better legs.

In my 15 years or so of this kind of exercise experience, personal success depends more on matching the training program to your particular physiology than finding the "best" training program. Bench presses and squats were mostly a waste of time for me. E.g. HIT frog squat jumps work much better [for me]. Whenever someone is advocating a "best program" they're usually relating their personal autobiography. Of course, my autobiography was to try many different things before I found something that finally worked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiKqFkJnHj8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da4_y3LLsz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbR5ZlXJvok

Edit: Okay, more googling suggests it's some kind of high-intensity bodyweight routine. This happens to be my personal preference. Check out the forum's Exercise log for my Insanity posts. If I can make any kind of general observations in terms of exercise preference vs bodytype, it's that this kind of stuff appeals to people who would have fought "light infantry" in medieval times (anytime before guns) or special forces in present times. IOW, a guy in fighting shape who's around 6"/175-185 pounds (middle weight). A 5'5" girl fighter equivalent would be 125-135 pounds (bantam weight).

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute knows people who've been doing it for months. they like it.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

jacob said: If I can make any kind of general observations in terms of exercise preference vs bodytype, it's that this kind of stuff appeals to people who would have fought "light infantry" in medieval times (anytime before guns) or special forces in present times. IOW, a guy in fighting shape who's around 6"/175-185 pounds (middle weight). A 5'5" girl fighter equivalent would be 125-135 pounds (bantam weight).
Women are not just size-adjusted men physiologically. There really weren't any female members of the light infantry in medieval times to speak of. In medieval times, my most representative female ancestress was probably to be found in some relatively high latitude field with a tow-headed infant slung on one hip, a tool useful in the extraction of turnips from frozen ground in her hands, observing the approach of the Mongol warrior father of her next likely-to-be-black-thatch-headed infant in the distance. Some are built to fight. Others are built to flee. Others are otherwise adapted and adaptable.