What are the healthy eggs, meats, cheeses, cow milks, fish, and other animal products?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
BeyondtheWrap

Re: What are the healthy eggs, meats, cheeses, cow milks, fish, and other animal products?

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Zalo, if your plan is only to eat animal products when they are offered for free (I'm guessing at parties or if there's free food at work/school), you'll find that most of what is offered is not going to be the healthy choices. It won't be organic and the animals won't be treated especially humanely, because the people providing the food are trying to keep costs down and most people don't care about it being the healthiest.

drachma

Re: What are the healthy eggs, meats, cheeses, cow milks, fish, and other animal products?

Post by drachma »

I am also with Brute on this one.

His 400g of meat per day is about 0.88 lbs. So just under a half pound for lunch and dinner. This is about the portion of meat I eat with those meals. I am not a "bodybuilder" but I am pretty active over-all and involved with lifting weights. I think many bodybuilders over-emphasize the importance of protein in building muscle and tend to vastly overconsume it compared to what is actually needed. The "Standard Internet Dosage" of protein for bodybuilders is supposed to be 1g per pound of your body weight. In reality, 2/3 of this is probably fine, and probably still an overestimate. You also get good protein from e.g. broccoli and rice&beans.

the bulk of calories come from rice and beans. Often potatos or yams. I don't have qualms about using some cheese, yogurt or eggs but most of my meals are just meat, vegetable, rice, some kind of flavoring. I don't seem to have any problems with wheat/grain based products except that they are extremely easy to overconsume.

also I think grass-fed type stuff is generally better, ethically, as well as for your body (& tastebuds) but I don't see the difference as being so significant as to warrant the outrageous price increase. in my view pretty much all meat production is environmentally unsustainable when you look at the calories produced vs. overall energy input. I think in the future most of our "meat-like protein" needs will be fulfilled by farming crickets or something like that which will be ground up and formed and textured into tofu-like blocks.