Health Tracker?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
tylerrr

Health Tracker?

Post by tylerrr »

is it worth it to get one of those trackers you wear that shows how many miles you've walked in a day, etc. ?

anyone use anything like that to track your exercise daily?

I know nothing about them, but i often wonder if I should start tracking how much i actually walk and move around so i can meet certain goals.

peerifloori

Re: Health Tracker?

Post by peerifloori »

I got a fitbit, it was fun for a few weeks. There are free apps that do the same thing if you carry your phone around. Now I have an expensive little gadget that I rarely use. I think I'll probably sell it.

There are cheaper (free!) ways to quantify your fitness.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

GandK

Post by GandK »

tylerrr wrote:is it worth it to get one of those trackers you wear that shows how many miles you've walked in a day, etc. ?

I know nothing about them, but i often wonder if I should start tracking how much i actually walk and move around so i can meet certain goals.
First, do you have a smartphone? And if so, is it almost always in your hand or your pocket? Almost all recent phones can count your steps for you for free. I'd try that first for a few months and then see if you want more features. My husband uses his iPhone in that way and sees no need for an additional device. I have/use an Up2.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

GandK wrote:
tylerrr wrote:is it worth it to get one of those trackers you wear that shows how many miles you've walked in a day, etc. ?

First, do you have a smartphone? And if so, is it almost always in your hand or your pocket? Almost all recent phones can count your steps for you for free. I'd try that first for a few months and then see if you want more features. My husband uses his iPhone in that way and sees no need for an additional device. I have/use an Up2.
can someone tell me the best free app they've tried on their IPHONE to do this?

thanks!

GandK

Post by GandK »

tylerrr wrote:can someone tell me the best free app they've tried on their IPHONE to do this?
Apple Health tracks steps.

G pairs it with MyFitnessPal, which sucks in the step count and converts it to calories. He doesn't care about the step count, he just wants to know how much more pizza he can eat if he works out.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yeah, that works OK. It's funny though, when I ride my bike with it it shows me going up and down hundreds of flights of steps. I've used "Road Bike" too, but I'm not sure I would recommend it. I'm not convinced any of these things make you more likely to be fit, but if they are free, I'm happy to play with them.

A real "health tracker", as opposed to an activity tracker, would include things like resting heart rate, blood pressure and a cholesterol breakdown.