How to boost immune system?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Peanut

How to boost immune system?

Post by Peanut »

Does anyone have tips for boosting one's immune system to ward off colds and fevers? I seem to get sick like clockwork, coming down every two months with a 24-hour fever or week-long cold. I am exposed to small children and their germs quite a lot. I have upped my hand washing, but am wondering what else I might try. For example someone told me Hillary Clinton reportedly eats hot peppers every day, but I don't tolerate spicy foods very well.

BeyondtheWrap

Re: How to boost immune system?

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

The symptoms that we label as "a cold" are actually caused by your immune system, so boosting your immune system would actually just make your colds worse. Those reactions don't actually help much to fight the cold. So, if you sense a cold coming on, you could just take an ibuprofen or similar anti-inflammatory drug to reduce the symptoms.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Eat lots of vegetables and fruits. Plants contain anti-fungal and antibacterial compounds which you can benefit from if you consume them regularly. Try to eat a wide variety of plants and fruits in your diet to maximize the anti-fungal/antibacterial cocktail pumping through your system. Plants sit in dirt and dust all day so they developed the means to ward off a wide array of disease. When we eat the plants, some of these compounds make it into our system thereby helping to kill foreign invaders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_disease_resistance

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

BeyondtheWrap wrote:The symptoms that we label as "a cold" are actually caused by your immune system, so boosting your immune system would actually just make your colds worse. Those reactions don't actually help much to fight the cold. So, if you sense a cold coming on, you could just take an ibuprofen or similar anti-inflammatory drug to reduce the symptoms.
+1, lots of over the counter remedies are to counter the immune system's side effects, therefore "boosting" your system would exacerbate symptoms and could lead to auto immune disorders, which obviously isn't your goal. Of course, that's just semantics. Eat well balanced and nutritious meals, stay hydrated, keep yourself fit and active and the rest takes care of itself.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Echinacea purpurea has been long celebrated for having immune boosting properties. There are several (very overpriced) teas on the market that do pretty well. Whenever the DW or I can feel a cold coming it always makes the ordeal shorter than otherwise.

Making the tea yourself comes down to growing the herb and using any part of the plant (roots are most concentrated), although I'm not sure of the specifics. A google search would be helpful.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I think by boosting his immune system, he means something that will enable his body to fight off the virus without becoming sick in the first place. Every two months sounds way too often to get sick, at least to me.

All of my fellow runners that I know are convinced that regular exercise helps, but I haven't see any studies that support (or contradict) that.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

enigmaT120 wrote:All of my fellow runners that I know are convinced that regular exercise helps, but I haven't see any studies that support (or contradict) that.
I think specifically breaking a sweat fights off or shortens the length of the illness. Saunas and steam rooms help with that too.

I also drink tea with Lady's Mantle and Stinging Nettle.

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Thanks to all, especially for the tea suggestions. I drink a lot of tea anyway so will look into those varieties.
enigmaT120 wrote:I think by boosting his immune system, he means something that will enable his body to fight off the virus without becoming sick in the first place. Every two months sounds way too often to get sick, at least to me.

All of my fellow runners that I know are convinced that regular exercise helps, but I haven't see any studies that support (or contradict) that.
Thanks for understanding me! It is definitely too frequent. I assume it's because of the increased exposure to kids, but don't really know. My own gets sick not at the same time as me but also every two months, it seems like.

I already eat well and am active, but not really doing focused aerobic exercise. Blah. Working out has bored me my whole life. I liked yoga in the past and have thought about joining a pure barre type class, but neither of these would really make me break a sweat. I'll try pushing myself next time I fall sick, though. A sauna!--if I could be so lucky.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Exercise does appear to boost your immune system. There are multiple studies, including ones from respected organizations like NIH.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/enc ... 007165.htm

Some mushrooms, such as Chaga appear to boost the immune system.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2895696/

Zinc is good.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-suppl ... guide-zinc

A lot of this is just eat healthy and exercise.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Can you find a hot yoga class?

I drink this tea (you're female, right?). It helps with lots of things. I notice immediately if I skip a couple of days.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Chad wrote: Some mushrooms, such as Chaga appear to boost the immune system.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2895696/
Funny you should mention it. This morning I received my package of cordyceps sinensis mushroom powder. It modulates (as opposed to boosting) immunity.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92758/

Cordyceps is also a good way for athletes to raise metabolic threshold.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3110835/

The company I buy the powder from also sells a 14 mushroom blend including Chaga. I'll have to give it a try.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Purchased some cordyceps mushrooms myself the other day. Haven't tried them yet, but interested to see if they work.

Did

Post by Did »

Fast for at least three days. Sounds like your immune system has been compromised. Google the lastest research in this area.

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

@Did: I tend towards being underweight, so fasting is probably not a good idea for me.

Magic mushrooms, eh? Not something I see myself doing, but hope people will post their reactions to them if they detect any! I'm not really a supplements person either. I seem to recall nyt did an expose on that industry and found a lot of what generic brands sold is actually just garlic? Meaning there is major fraud in that industry.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

A low simple-sugar diet and onions works wonders for me. I literally get sick if I eat the equivalent of two candy bars. I go through a pound of onions a week. Anecdotally its been two years since a sinus infection.

Did

Post by Did »

@peanut It isn't about weight loss. The body is said to consume damaged immune system cells which are then regenerated post fast. It's pretty incredible stuff. They looking at it for cemo patients and others with a compromised immune system. See eg

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-trig ... ne-system/

GandK

Post by GandK »

Thank you for posting this.

subgard

Post by subgard »

Make a habit of never touching your face after being around people, especially children. Germs on your hands won't give you a cold. Germs in your eyes and on your nose and lips will.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Get enough sleep every night, maybe even take a nap during the day.

Remove depressants and stimulants from your diet.