Anyone Foraging for Food?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Gilberto de Piento

Re: Anyone Foraging for Food?

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I do some guerilla gardening last fall, leaving pears in a brushy area in a park. Hopefully they will grow. Someone else had already planted onions in the same spot.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

C40 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 pm
huh... the city of Phoenix has updated the site with thousands of trees in public areas.

I've been walking/riding around town often wondering if it's reasonable to just take some of the fruit off trees from people's yards or from ~landscaping trees on commercial property. I could at least try these out.
Stanford University used to publish a map of all the fruit trees for starving students- the place was huge and had all kinds of trees with free fruit. We used to tease (I was a 21 year old child) the foreign students who came in ecstatically telling us about their harvest at the music building. "You mean the fruit that crazy Chemistry dropout was caught injecting with a syringe?" :lol: :lol: :lol: Sarcasm doesn't translate well. People got really upset.

My mom's house has a lot of fruit trees I planted as a kid. The gardeners clean them out every year. :x Make sure you get permission before you take from privately owned trees. Some people may get mad. I had my garden harvested a few years back by a family that came through offering to do yard work. I tried to rationalize that they needed the veggies more than I did but I was as livid as I get when a squirrel destroys something I planned to harvest.
Gilberto de Piento wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:28 pm
I do some guerilla gardening last fall, leaving pears in a brushy area in a park. Hopefully they will grow. Someone else had already planted onions in the same spot.
This is fabulous. Brilliant. It reminds me of Russia during 1990s when everyone started planting the green belts with potatoes. A government worker showed me this because he said you never knew when the pachecks would arrive. After a few months, you had a backup food supply. Just dig. Old ladies would guard the patches in exchange for a cut and other exchangeable goods.

BWND

Post by BWND »

Just on that Standford students anecdote you told, Sclass. It seems the normal thing these days is to go out at lunch time with your phone and "forage" for Pokemons. Imagine telling a co-worker you were going out looking for free food...

Has anyone dumpster dived?

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Yes I have foraged for food plenty. You can definitely obtain a lot of food in and around the city. But ultimately given how much I earn and the time involved and the amount of money saved doing the activity I decided ultimately it wasnt worth my while, but a fun experiment. It is also nice to know that there are these sorts of options if you end up in a financially perilous state at some stage.
I have also dumpster dived. But again not worth my time and I was always quite concerned about the uncertain legal nature of it. It doesnt seem clear whether it is allowed or not.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Noal wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:47 pm
Just on that Standford students anecdote you told, Sclass. It seems the normal thing these days is to go out at lunch time with your phone and "forage" for Pokemons. Imagine telling a co-worker you were going out looking for free food...

Has anyone dumpster dived?
I do from time to time. I have two stores around with unlocked easily accessible dumpsters. I usually just check them before I walk in the front door to buy whatever is on the list. I actually stopped looking at one for awhile because the Frito-lay truck kept leaving so many chips. :lol:

BWND

Post by BWND »

Good on you! I'm still hamstrung by decades of social conditioning!