The ingenuity gap of the obesity epidemic

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Ego

Re: The ingenuity gap of the obesity epidemic

Post by Ego »

A link to the study regarding digit ratio and trading ability is in the other thread I linked to above.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

My digit ratio is 1.07. Super-femme!!! Hey, at least I am self-aware-lol.
Ego said: It seems possible that we are witnessing a change in what characteristics signal desirability. In a world where everyone is using contraception, it is understandable that a body characteristic that signals fertility would be seen in the opposite way Don Draper saw it. Strong, muscular women are fast becoming a new beauty standard.
Maybe, but my personal experience on this cusp is that the type of woman an affluent, high-testosterone man chooses to marry is often different than the woman he prefers to bed. My older partner's wife is a mortgage broker who makes more money than him and therefore can throw down for half expense major home renovation or trip to Ireland. All I have to offer is (thumbing back through messages) "sexy, sexy, adorable, delicious, warm, accepting, enthusiastic, hot, gracious..." The modern egalitarian marriage has by no means been proven successful. Witness the rise of polyamory.

Anyways, LDRs (low digit ratio types) boss me around too much and sometimes break stuff, so I don't want to live with one again. It's better if they just come visit, take on (over)a task or two, and then go away. Mostly I am trying to be my own b*tch, but I am not a very good provider for myself, so it is a good thing that at least I am frugal.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

7Wannabe5 wrote: Maybe, but my personal experience on this cusp is that the type of woman an affluent, high-testosterone man chooses to marry is often different than the woman he prefers to bed.
This would appear to go with that remark -- it's both funny and true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihSTGqCO52Q

Ego

Post by Ego »

And yet you appeared to be such a nice man in that photo with Jacob's dog. :D

Great video.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Ego wrote:And yet you appeared to be such a nice man in that photo with Jacob's dog. :D

Great video.
That's how I lure them in -- just borrow a pet or a baby and you're all set. :lol:

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Dragline said: This would appear to go with that remark -- it's both funny and true:
Exactly. Have you read "Passionate Marriage" by Schnarch or "The Way of the Superior Man" by Deida? Maybe I am wrong, but it is my perception that most of the kids today think monkey-on-monkey is as good as it gets (not that there's anything wrong with that sort of fun on occasion), and this is somehow linked to the slumping together towards the center of the sofa asexuality of the obesity epidemic. Like maybe the first is an intended consequence of "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" and the second is an unintended consequence. Of course, the feminist movement itself is consequent to some larger more complex economic reality.

Anyways, a man is going to be doomed to "nice guy" syndrome in exact proportion to the extent that he condemns other men for being members of the "Dark Triad." I am sometimes motivated to make the effort "backwards in heels" with an awkward partner, but I won't touch one who is still thinking along those lines.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Dragline said: This would appear to go with that remark -- it's both funny and true:
Exactly. Have you read "Passionate Marriage" by Schnarch or "The Way of the Superior Man" by Deida? Maybe I am wrong, but it is my perception that most of the kids today think monkey-on-monkey is as good as it gets (not that there's anything wrong with that sort of fun on occasion), and this is somehow linked to the slumping together towards the center of the sofa asexuality of the obesity epidemic..
I have not -- I'm afraid its all been trial and error. Mostly the latter.

Everything ends up being some kind of personal preference, like what kind of ice cream you like. But I think this video explains a lot about why certain themes/preferences are recurring and common: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U8bhJHlrVI

Wish I would have known all that when I was younger.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Dragline: Very good video. Only comment I might add would be that I think it goes even deeper than dealing with psychological anxiety in a safe context. There are some ancient biochemical pathways being exploited through some realms of play. "Sub-space" is like runner's high only much, much stronger. Bringing this back round to the thread topic, one of the hottest discussions in a group I used to read was started by a quite obese female submissive who was trying to make the argument that if the dominant/submissive dynamic is intense enough then physical appearance shouldn't matter at all. The men who had voted Kim Basinger as submissive-I'd-most-like-to-dominate were united in pretty solid opposition to this theory.-lol Anyways, I eventually got bored with the overt stuff. Bit too exquisite and nerdy for my taste.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Please excuse 7Wannabe5 from the burpees and pull-ups requirements for designation as independently functioning adult on this forum. Evidence of soft, pudgy, very short ring finger attached. High likelihood of hyper-mobility of wrist also indicated.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Wow. That is short. More pullups and burpees for you!

You don't want to be guilty of the cardinal sin of wannabe polymaths do you?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Ego: Ah, right you are. I trust by the time I am able to perform a single pull-up, you shall have completed your course in basic fashion design and will perhaps post a picture of Mrs. Ego in the charming cocktail dress you created for her, and Jacob will have his first collection of ghazal ready for publication?

Ego

Post by Ego »

7Wannabe5 wrote:@Ego: Ah, right you are. I trust by the time I am able to perform a single pull-up, you shall have completed your course in basic fashion design and will perhaps post a picture of Mrs. Ego in the charming cocktail dress you created for her, and Jacob will have his first collection of ghazal ready for publication?
Hah! Touché :lol:

My fashion sense is most definitely the result of an ingenuity gap. Well that and whatever the trash gods provide.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Yesterday I found this politically incorrect Men's Health article from 2010:

I Hate Fat People

In it, the author examines his own fat aversion. I found that fascinating, but even more fascinating were the statistics at the bottom of the article. For instance:
20 pounds
Amount of weight gain respondents consider a dealbreaker in a dating relationship. "Men may perceive their social status as being lower if their partner is overweight," says Puhl. "Part of this may be due to the social contagion effect—if you associate with an obese person, you may be stigmatized too." In a 2005 Obesity Research study, men said they would prefer a sexual partner who is missing an arm, is in a wheelchair, or has a history of suicide attempts or STDs over an obese bedmate. (emphasis mine)
:shock: Really?!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@GandK - It's driven by "social capital by association". Suicide attempts and STDs are hidden to the social world. Looks are highly visible. If the partner is a 10 that's automatically going to raise the partner's social value (wow, this person must be really something special having a level 10 partner) and vice versa. One of the better predictors of successful dating is whether both people are about equally attractive. If not, the more attractive person will try to find someone else more attractive.

There are physical effects too:

http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/a41 ... s-libidos/
In their twenties, men's T levels begin a long decline, often experienced as diminished passion. One of the few things that can reliably revive sagging testosterone is exposure to a new woman; even a brief chat with an attractive female can raise men's testosterone levels by 14 percent, as one study found.
For the majority of people excess pounds drives people down on the attractiveness scale. If a chat has that much of a positive effect, imagine what the impact would be of the partner gaining 100 pounds. Apparently more than losing an arm or getting STDs.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I think the word "obese" is like the word "ugly", in that it will be subjectively processed and summon up a picture of somebody you definitely who you wouldn't want to be seen with in public setting or knocking boots with in private. Beyond that tastes vary, and sometime wildly. I briefly dated a man who thought I was not quite "thick" enough, and he found thin women repulsive. I think the expression he used to describe his feeling was "Like choking on a chicken bone." and the expression he used to describe his preference was "Someplace soft to land." I also long-term dated a man who offered to pay if I was willing to have my D cups augmented to even larger. One thing that amuses me is that curvy women are often seen as attractive but also likely to be lacking in intelligence or "class." Because I have a mad defiant and/or malicious compliant streak, I have sometimes played this to my advantage.

What Jacob said about visible vs invisible is one good explanation for what seems like a crazy order of preference in the article cited, but another explanation is that men are vulnerable to making bad decisions in mate selection because of the tight way in which their visual cortex is wired to their emotional center. It is literally the case that men tend towards falling in love with a pretty face, and they also subconsciously confound the "pretty" with the "good." Of course, women have similar superficial mechanisms or motivations, but they are largely more behavior based.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

7Wannabe5 wrote: What Jacob said about visible vs invisible is one good explanation for what seems like a crazy order of preference in the article cited, but another explanation is that men are vulnerable to making bad decisions in mate selection because of the tight way in which their visual cortex is wired to their emotional center. It is literally the case that men tend towards falling in love with a pretty face, and they also subconsciously confound the "pretty" with the "good." Of course, women have similar superficial mechanisms or motivations, but they are largely more behavior based.
I think that there is some truth in this.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

humans should not forget that a little bit of crazy is the spice in human relationships.

Ego

Post by Ego »

New study:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 125959.htm

1) It is not caused by a lack of access to affordable healthy food.
2) It is not caused by an ignorance of what is good and what is bad.
3) It is not for lack of trying by the researchers to get the results they wanted.

"This study, in two neighboring Latino food swamps, found that, regardless of intervention status, perceptions of food accessibility and corner stores improved over time, but effects of patronage, purchasing and consumption of healthy foods were non-significant," the researchers wrote.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

I wonder what that map will look like in another generation.