How to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
TopHatFox

How to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome?

Post by TopHatFox »

From the tendency of INTJ and INTP college educated people present on these forums, I imagine many of you are inclined to science/engineering occupations that have a tendency to use computers and keyboards for hours and hours throughout the day.

I'm curious what are some of the steps--habits, diet, exercise, etc.--you've taken to reduce your risk of carpal tunnel syndrome, if you have. If you've had experience with the syndrome in your own life, I'm further curious what that's been like for you and what you've done from there.

My intention is to create the optimal system of healthful computer use that not only adds enrichment to my life mentally, but also adds enrichment to my life physically (e.g. healthful wrists, standing, progressive eye training)

Some prevention stuff here for any interested: http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/ca ... prevention

chenda

Re: How to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome?

Post by chenda »

Regular breaks, muscle strengthening and range of motion exercise should help, not just for carpel tunnel syndrome but to avoid RSI and osteoarthritis. Regular massage could help as well.

I have mild osteoarthritis in my end joint of forefinger (I'm only 32) but my mother and grandfather also have/had it in this joint. I have an unusual pencil grip where the joint moves back a forth when I write. Arthritis the result of ~ 20 years of schooling.

My mother has pretty poor mobility for someone her age 62 - carpel tunnel, bad back, poor posture, bad knees, osteoarthritis, endless aches and pains, all round clumsiness. My dad is 77 and has none of these problems whatsoever. Partly genetic no doubt but I'm determined not to end up like her if u can help it.