Is caffeine a health risk?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
vexed87

Is caffeine a health risk?

Post by vexed87 »

I haven’t noticed any adverse effects of as a result of my coffee habit. That is at least until today. It might just be anecdotal experience, however I haven’t had a cup in a couple of days due to running out of beans at home and smashing my cafetiere at work. All of a sudden I’ve experienced a nasty headache behind the eyes and with time it moved to the top of my head. I googled the symptoms, sure enough, there it was, caffeine withdrawal!

It has prompted me to think about my habbit. Is caffeine a health risk?

How many of you avoid it? I always hear stories that coffee/tea aren't great for you but no one has ever really given good reason to avoid it (in a similar respect to excessive alcohol or sugar consumption etc). I really enjoy a couple of cups a day, occasionally (but rarely) I’ll have a cup after my evening meal. Is excessive?

I know caffeine increases heart rate slightly, but I see this as a positive thing before I get out on the road on my bike commute to work :)

Dragline

Re: Is caffeine a health risk?

Post by Dragline »

I don't think so in moderation, but there are all kinds of studies on this. It may help you with your Alzheimers: http://www.neurologyadvisor.com/neuroco ... le/431621/

I do know people who can't have any due to adrenal gland issues and other problems like that.

BTW, those headaches would go away if you laid off it for awhile. On the other hand, DW has told me I am intolerable every time I have gone off caffeine for an extended period of time.

A couple cups a day is usually what "moderation" entails. If you like it, I wouldn't stop drinking it.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

I've probably seen more positive things about coffee than negative things. That said, it's annoying to be addicted to something to the point that it gives you headaches and mood changes when you try to withdraw. I used to guzzle 40oz of coffee a day, and now I've worked down to 12oz. The moderation seems to dampen my cravings and headaches when I miss it. One day I may quit, but I really, really love coffee. Deep in my soul.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

I read "Caffeinated-How our daily habit helps,hooks and hurts us" by Murray Carpenter.

Interesting read-I just can't bear any industry (billion dollar industry at that) controlling me in any way-especially subtly.

I gave all caffeinated drinks up,only got one weird bad headache once,about 3/4 days after giving them up,the rest was plain sailing.

Raptitude did an experiment on his site on going caffeine free as well.

I used to LOVE my coffee and tea but now could drink a cup of hot water and feel as comforted.

I hope I will never go back on them again But I do eat dark chocolate >85% cocoa.

I love feeling no drop in energy levels or desperation at 3 o clock for tea/coffee.

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

I gave up sodas in high school and only started drinking coffee regularly (about 2-4 6oz cups a day) in grad school. I quit a few weeks before defending my dissertation. I had a pretty persistent, dull headache for about a week or so starting about 2 days after quitting. That was about 4.5 years ago.

On a daily basis, I usually drink herbal teas, and rarely I'll buy a decaf coffee* at a shop. One shot of caffeinated espresso is also fine before noon, and I do that maybe once every month or two on a whim in social situations. If I have a cup of caffeinated drip, though, it really messes with me. I get jittery and probably an upset stomach - I'm such a wuss now!

Bright side is, while I don't get that intense coffee-induced focus... I feel like I am consistently and evenly energetic throughout the day, I sleep better, and feel lower anxiety**. So while I wouldn't say that caffeine was 'bad' for my health, I personally find my life quality better without it.

*I can't find a very compelling decaf coffee, so it isn't very enticing. Anyone know a good brand?
**For some people prone to anxiety, eliminating caffeine gives big improvements

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

After I was diagnosed with serious heart problems my cardiologist told me to quit coffee. I had a bad arrhythmia at the time caused by a growth in the left atrium.

So here's the funny story. Having quit a few times in the past I figured I didn't want the day of headaches. I started by drinking 3/4 cup a day for a week. Then I went to 1/2 for a week. Then I went to 1/4 cup for a week. I was good. No headache. The fourth week I started drinking 1/8 cup. By then it was getting silly. I figured it was the same as not drinking coffee at all.

Then I went to zero. The next day - BLAMMO - splitting headache! I mentioned it to my doctor and he said it must have not taken much coffee to keep the withdrawal headache away. Pretty funny experiment.

I'm back to my old cup with breakfast. No arrhythmia no quit. :D

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

I think I swapped my diet cola addiction for coffee a couple of years ago, I would go as far as saying I was addicted to coke, but wouldn't have had the same opinion about coffee after the switch until that headache happened. Withdrawals indicate a level of dependence, which as others mentioned, makes me feel uneasy, but my morning coffee (weekdays) makes me feel happy despite being stuck in work :)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Sclass wrote: So here's the funny story. Having quit a few times in the past I figured I didn't want the day of headaches. I started by drinking 3/4 cup a day for a week. Then I went to 1/2 for a week. Then I went to 1/4 cup for a week. I was good. No headache. The fourth week I started drinking 1/8 cup. By then it was getting silly. I figured it was the same as not drinking coffee at all.
This is how I've done it too. Although faster and higher, reaching 0 in a week and from a 2-3 cup(*) starting point. E.g. 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1/2, 1/2, 0, 0, ...

No post-reactions here but with age I seem to have developed this wonderful superpower of not getting headaches from neither caffeine nor alcohol anymore.

(*) The pod-coffee machine's idea of a cup. Whatever that is.

Another factor is how late I drink it. When I detox, I also move the time of last coffee earlier and earlier. On a regular schedule, it's no coffee after noon, but on detox it becomes no coffee after 11a, then 10a, etc.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

As far as quitting goes, I once did an experiment where I found a pretty good decaf and just subbed it out for my normal coffee without tapering. I did it for a few months and my body never knew the difference. No hedaches. It could have still had a very small amount of caffeine in it, or maybe the effects are at least somewhat psychological.