Heart problems in old endurance athletes

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
jennypenny

Re: Heart problems in old endurance athletes

Post by jennypenny »

Is it the sex that's good for the heart, or the social connection of which the sex is indicative?

That's what I wonder about the A-fib guys. Would they be having trouble anyway because they're wired to take things too far, regardless of whether it's exercise, work, substance abuse, etc.? Hard to say.

I'm not arguing with the article in the OP btw. It's good to know the real risks, especially with something that's considered 'healthy'. I just wonder whether it's a risk to everyone or if the level of risk is the same in all populations.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

jennypenny said: Is it the sex that's good for the heart, or the social connection of which the sex is indicative?
Of course, it is always difficult to sort out the chicken from the egg, but since almost 46% of men between the ages of 50-59 who are married engage in sexual activity once a month or less, the social connection is likely not relevant. People who are partnered but not married have the most sex on average, but still quite similar to the married rates. OTOH, over 70% of single men over the age of 50 have not participated in sexual activity in over a year. These statistics correspond very well with the conversations my single sister and I have had with the generally quite reasonably attractive selection of men we have recently dated.

Frequent sex has also been shown to be very good for middle-aged females, but as always, the heart health statistics are more muddled due to estrogen influence. However, it does appear to be the case that having barrier free sex does have an anti-depressant effect on females due to chemical make-up of semen and it is the case that you risk total atrophy if you go 3 years without sex post-menopause. Anyways, one of the men I am dating lost his virginity in 1972, hits the gym regularly and bikes 12-15 miles every day, so I am hoping to resume good practice myself fairly soon.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

7Wannabe5 wrote: but since almost 46% of men between the ages of 50-59 who are married engage in sexual activity once a month or less, the social connection is likely not relevant. People who are partnered but not married have the most sex on average, but still quite similar to the married rates.
Are those numbers right? That's awful. Why wouldn't people with partners have sex regularly?

Sorry, I shouldn't derail the thread. It might explain why some people overexercise though. Gotta get those endorphins somehow.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

jennypenny said: Are those numbers right? That's awful. Why wouldn't people with partners have sex regularly?
According to Kinsey, so give-or-take. Sunk-costs and/or emotional fusion.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

7Wannabe5 wrote:sex does have an anti-depressant effect on females due to chemical make-up of semen
So using a condom wouldn't have any anti-depressant effects?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

J_L13 wrote:
7Wannabe5 wrote:sex does have an anti-depressant effect on females due to chemical make-up of semen
Correct. Absorption is necessary.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

Our discussions are fun.!!

Apparently, my prior high mileage running and my current "lack- nooky" status are dooming me to an early grave.

I sure hope you're wrong.

T
Keeping on keeping on!!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

tommytebco wrote:Apparently, my prior high mileage running and my current "lack- nooky" status are dooming me to an early grave.
Maybe you should advertise for a woman who's looking for a 'natural' anti-depressant. ;)

I should have qualified my reaction to those stats. I understand why someone who doesn't have a partner might have sex less often. But if you have a partner and they're just lying there next to you every night, well ... have at it. If you feel the need to be polite about it, wake them up first. :D

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

jennypenny wrote:Are those numbers right? That's awful. Why wouldn't people with partners have sex regularly?
Because women (apparently not on this forum though) say "No." Actually that doesn't answer the question of why the men don't masturbate. I doubt there has been any causal relationship proven, so I guess it could just as easily be said that men who have higher sex drives are that way because they are healthier in the first place.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Yeah, well, we gotta do something with the energy we don't expend on buying more shoes. "How much is that doggy in the window... la,la,la,la,la,la...?"

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

enigmaT120 wrote:Because women (apparently not on this forum though) say "No."
LOL ... my comment wasn't only directed at the men.

Besides, I always thought 'I do' meant 'I will', at least most of the time. I'm not sure I'd stay with someone who didn't want to continue that part of the relationship.

chenda

Post by chenda »

jennypenny wrote:
J_L13 wrote:
Correct. Absorption is necessary.
ugh...I think I'll stick with SSRI's ;)

Chad

Post by Chad »

jennypenny wrote:
enigmaT120 wrote:Because women (apparently not on this forum though) say "No."
LOL ... my comment wasn't only directed at the men.

Besides, I always thought 'I do' meant 'I will', at least most of the time. I'm not sure I'd stay with someone who didn't want to continue that part of the relationship.
I know I wouldn't stay with someone who didn't want the sex part of the relationship. So, now we just sleep in the same bed so we can ruin each other's sleep? No thanks.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

It's not just a matter of sex or not, but how often. How many people have the same sex drives?

As for staying with the person, go check out the MMM thread about divorce being a weapon of mass financial destruction. I'm sure there's love involved too, but this is a retirement forum.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

enigmaT120 said: It's not just a matter of sex or not, but how often. How many people have the same sex drives?
And even people who have fairly similar drives likely might have different desire cycles and/or proclivities. What it comes down to is clear terms of contract. Default to "No" or default to "Yes?" Is sex like dinner or dessert? Unfortunately, the only method that "works" is clearly communicating something like "I will not tolerate a sexless existence. If you no longer wish to be my partner, I will start looking for a new one next Tuesday." and really mean it and be willing to deal with the fall-out. Most people in our culture don't really make clear contract in this realm because it's not "romantic" or ego-validating. OTOH, it would obviously be foolish to enter into contract with somebody with whom you are initially quite incompatible. Of course, choosing to make strong, self-aware choice to prioritize financial well-being (or anything else, such as providing secure home for kids, dictates of religion) over sexuality is another matter altogether.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

In any case, going with the original topic, I don't think "old sex athletes" need to worry about long term heart damage. It's simply not as intense as running 100 miles a week... unless I'm missing something :P Sex probably falls more under CDCs moderate exercise guidelines (aka '30 minutes of "brisk" walking') + along with being a confounding variable for the happiness of good relations, etc.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

jacob said: simply not as intense
Debatable.

http://www.amazon.com/Shibari-Japanese- ... rds=shibar

End hi-jack. Exit stage left :)