Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Some of us have talked about starting an ERE Exercise Challenge. I don't we think should all try and do the same exercise. (we'd never agree to one thing anyway ;) I'm thinking this could be a place where we list our goals, post updates with how we're doing, support each other and hold each other acccountable.
As Jacob pointed out in the book, it doesn't really matter if how far along the ERE path you are if you're not healthy. That's more of a challenge for some then others, but the goal should be to be as healthy as you can.
-----

I'll start. I had to take some time off from running over the winter, and I'm having trouble getting back into the exercise routine. I've been trying to run as much as possible, but I think maybe the trouble is my conditioning. I'm going to adjust to a modified body-for-life routine of alternating 3 days running and 3 days strength training with a long run or alternate activity on day 7.
My main goal at this point is to get back to where exercise is a natural/habitual part of the day, and not something I *decide* to do every day.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Everyone I have seen doing crossfit seems to be in great shape. It seems that the combination of cardio with resistance and explosive movements, along with the paleo diet, produces some amazing results.
I would like to get into crossfit, but without spending money on a formal crossfit program. Anybody have any suggestions?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Realperson -
http://www.crossfit.com/
They post their daily workout which IS crossfit right at the front page.
Sunday 130609
21-18-15-12-9-6 and 3 rep rounds of:

Sumo deadlift high-pull, 75 pounds

Push jerk, 75 pounds
All you get from joining a crossfit gym is access to equipment(*), certified instructors, and maybe the $150 guilt trip from skipping out :)
(*) You can substitute equipment for many exercises. The crossfit site will even list suitable exercise substitutions (last time I checked, years ago). For example, I used kettlebell lifts instead of olympic lifts.
PS: If anyone in the Chicago area wants to buy a used set of gymnastic rings for $50, I'm selling mine.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

The investments trade log now has 370 posts. With the goal of being as healthy as you possibly can(through regular exercise), I am sure there are people that post here that need improvement. Posting here (or not and getting $150 worth of guilt) may guide me into a natural/habitual routine. So yes I am up for regularly posting my exercise progress.
I have several mostly free modes of the kinds of exercise that I feel I am fit enough to accomplish now. Walking/running outdoors, bicycling indoors or outdoors, swimming at the middle school in the mornings, steps instead of a lunch break at work, taking a dumbbell break at work when I am at my desk, and sit up and push up routines at home. DW has lots of kettlebell videos, and we have p90x videos that I don't feel ready for yet. I agree with RealPerson. The Crossfit folks seem to be buff. I just don't want to blow out a joint trying as I feel overweight and deconditioned.
My goal is to exercise for one hour each day and post the type and time here at least every three days.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I like sshawnn's comparison to the investments trade log so I changed the name. That's exactly what I was looking for--accountability, encouragement, new ideas, and less expensive options.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Especially alligator wrestling :-)

freebooks

Post by freebooks »

I've been doing "Power 90" at home for the last 6 weeks and have lost about 3 lbs and made some noticeable muscle gains. I like this because I can do it at home in 30 minutes with just some 10 lb free weights.

Ego

Post by Ego »

All you get from joining a crossfit gym is access to equipment(*), certified instructors, and maybe the $150 guilt trip from skipping out :)
Actually the best part of working out at a crossfit gym (they call them boxes) is the competition. I find that I work considerably harder when I am racing others. That said, I stopped going because of cost and I'm trying to figure out a way to get free membership. One of the first issues of Crossfit Journal was dedicated to building a garage gym...
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library ... _Sep02.pdf
I now do a crossfit type workout at the Y but I can't throw around weights (not that I ever could) without bumper plates. Jacob's alternative of using a a kettlebell or even a set of adjustable dumbbells is great. A minimalist could probably get away with a TRX or resistance bands with some creativity.
http://www.roguefitness.com/crossfit-eq ... -bands.php
The social aspect of setting goals and reporting workouts is a great idea. It makes me want to find something to work toward other than racing my arch-nemesis on the bike every Saturday morning.

champ0608

Post by champ0608 »

I've always been pretty slim, but I maintain my weight (I'm 5'11, 140 pounds) simply by avoiding things we all know we should avoid and by walking regularly. Its amazing how much you weight you can lose and keep off simply by going for a three mile walk each night.
In my opinion, our ancestors weren't gym rats. They didn't run on treadmills, do fancy workouts designed by professionals, or master excerpts from biology books to learn how weight loss occurs; they simply walked more often and didn't eat all the crap we eat today.
As in all things in life, I personally find the best results keeping it as simple as possible.

J_

Post by J_ »

My goals: maintain good health by: keeping body weight 150 lbs (70 kg, length 5,8 ft = 1,79 m), keeping fit goals:

walking 2 days per week 8 miles each, cycling 2 days per week about 22 mile each, ketlle bell work out 3 times per week (35 pounds), pilatus on the mat 2 times per week, pulls up 5 times per week.
And, important for me, enjoying beeing outdoors while training!

I do most of the walking and cycling with a companion, during the walks the talks are also important. The result I strive for is not only staying bodily fit but also mentally fit/lean/flexible.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I just got started a couple weeks ago, so this is good. Maybe help keep me focused a little more.
I want to get back in the shape I was in college, with a slight change. I won't need the extra weight for football, so I'm shooting for below 220lbs. I know that sounds like a lot, but that would probably put me at 10-12% body fat. When I achieve that I may shoot for 200lbs or so to get cut, but I will wait until then for that goal.
My workout goal is a minimum of 4 times per week, with 5-6 being the norm. 3-4 of those will contain 20-30 minutes of cardio made up of fartlek intervals for the non-warm-up/warm-down part of the training. With free weights and kettlebells for another 30-40 minutes (depending on if it's a cardio day or not).
This will require a gym membership ($40/month), as I want to be able to increase the weight I use and eventually get to heavy weights for my legs and to a lessor extent my chest. With the initial goal of getting 3-5 reps in the squat for 405.
When I get to this level I plan on joining an MMA gym.
Please feel free to call me out if I fail to update this.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Of course, right after posting this I found this:
http://mentalear.blogspot.com/2013/01/t ... -your.html

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I'd like to develop a random system for exercise... Maybe have 10-20 exercises that mimic actual work/life. Bonus if they're actually providing utility.

Then roll dice, draw a card, and lookup the resulting exercise and reps on a chart. LOL, with maybe a 5% chance of having a very brutal workout.
Got a monster tractor tire in my new yard I am looking forward to flipping around the yard while making neighbors uncomfortable with animal grunting sounds.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@bigato

No way am I attempting a semi-new (I hold a brown belt in karate from a long time ago) sport without being in shape, as it would just make me angry to be limited. Which, would make me more likely to quit.
I appreciate the offer. When I get to the point of choosing I will take you up on that.
@JohnnyH

The tractor tire is a great idea. Hitting it with a sledge is also a good exercise. Wish I had the room for that.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@Chad--interesting video. I've read that when you imagine something bad happening that your body reacts as if it actually did happen (produces stress hormones, etc), so it follows that your mind would interpret anticipating doing something good that way. The more I read about how brains work the more creeped out I am. Sometimes I think our brains aren't really a part of us. It's more like we're just *hosts* for them LOL.
@JohnnyH--flipping tires is my DD's favorite exercise. FYI, vegetable oil or olive oil gets the grime off your hands afterwards :)
----
Well, I already missed yesterday's workout. Kids sick and such and I didn't get to the gym. I think I'm too rigid about the workouts (actually about most things). If I plan on running at the gym and that doesn't work out, I just give up. I need to be more flexible. I decided to clean off the weights in the garage and dig out the yoga mat so I have something I can do here when I can't get to the gym.

J_

Post by J_ »

@Jennypenny: "I need to be more flexible. I decided to clean off the weights in the garage and dig out the yoga mat so I have something I can do here when I can't get to the gym".
Yes Jennypenny that seems to me a much better aproach, doing (almost) all your excersizes at or from home, make you much more flexible if there is something in the way (as happens so often).

I do it now for years, it requires self-discipline, but that's no news for ere-people. Only last year I found the strength and perseverance to reach my goal. Good luck.

Shandi76

Post by Shandi76 »

I've been doing Cross Fit 3 times a week for the past 10 months. I agree with Ego that one of the best things about Cross Fit is the competition, and also the community. I used to do group aerobics classes and a bit of kettlebell training. One of the best things about Cross Fit has been getting me confident with barbell training, and using heavy weights for low reps (rather than light weights for volume, like I used to do with Body Pump). Women tend not to utilise the free weights section of large commercial gyms much, and even when you ask for a free weights program the trainers steer you away from it (at least that's what I found) so it's great to feel confident with power and oly lifts. It's really helped improve my mobility and posture too.
@RealPerson, crossfit.com is okay but they only post the WOD. Our classes have warmup, stretches/ mobility work, and a strength exercise before doing the WOD. If it's a short WOD we might also fit in work on a gymnastics skill. It probably follows Outlaw Cross Fit much more closely than main site. The good news is that lots of CF gyms post their programming online, so you can follow it without joining, if you have access to the equipment elsewhere :-)

Chad

Post by Chad »

@jennypenny

It does seem weird how much or brains "do the thinking for us." Most of the time it probably saves us from a life of tedium, "Ok, saliva start to flow, as I'm going to eat now." But, it does screw some things up for us, like the video suggests.
"I think I'm too rigid about the workouts. If I plan on running at the gym and that doesn't work out, I just give up." - That's an issue for me too. If it doesn't go exactly as I have planned, it really throws me off my workouts.
@Bigato

Oh, you are correct, I will still get angry, but it will be from lack of skill and not lack of trying. Which would be the case if I wasn't in shape enough to go full bore. The lack of skill will be frustrating, but I will get over that quickly as I will be able to see rapid improvement. It usually doesn't take me long to pick up new techniques if I have someone decent teaching me.
I'm not worried about my strength, as much as I am worried about being useless/spent after 10 minutes of a BJJ or Muay Thai class.
@shandi

"One of the best things about Cross Fit has been getting me confident with barbell training, and using heavy weights for low reps (rather than light weights for volume, like I used to do with Body Pump). Women tend not to utilise the free weights section of large commercial gyms much, and even when you ask for a free weights program the trainers steer you away from it (at least that's what I found) so it's great to feel confident with power and oly lifts. "
I couldn't agree more. Women, and even some men, avoid weights too much. Women don't seem to realize how much lifting it really takes to get big...they aren't going to get big (unless they are genetically predisposed, which is rare for women). While, the men who avoid it are still following the 70's philosophy that being in shape is 80% running and 20% lifting, when it's closer to the opposite.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

IMO, it's more like 8% lifting, 2% running, 90% diet. ;)
Personally, whenever I "get serious" about an exercise routine, I build a new diet around it as well and try to stick to both, but it's usually the dieting that kills me. If your diet's not right, you won't see results (beyond newbie gains)... period.
At 5'10, I'm about 170 now with >15% body fat. I'd like to get to 180 with <12% body fat. I was close to that a few years ago in/after college (before I started working full-time, essentially). I'd also like to get back to (and exceed) old personal records on "the big three": Bench 185x5x5, Squat 275x5x5, Deadlift 325x5
Right now I'm kind of half-heartedly sticking to a 3 day a week, twice a day weightlifting split. I switch off between high volume (hypertrophic) and low volume (strength) training for each muscle group. I usually feel unfocused, probably because I'm eating too few calories. Like I said, I think I need to revamp my diet if I'm going to be serious about this.
(Oh, and getting at least 8 hours of sleep and proper recovery time between exercises is also really important. Fitness really is a lifestyle, not just an hour a day in the gym.)

Chad

Post by Chad »

@Bigato

I still plan on running, but I will never run more than 30 minutes and I won't do it more than 3-4 days a week. I up the intensity, not the time.
Pushups are great for a while, but pushups are difficult to add intensity too after a few variations (just adding more reps isn't very helpful). It's like any exercise, if you don't continue to add difficulty your gains start to go down.
My comment on lifting/resistance exercise vs running/cardio was not to suggest cardio isn't important, but that most people who "exercise are 90-100% cardio. A 2-5 mile jog a day keeps them "in-shape." It doesn't make much sense when you can get a lot of that cardio from resistance training if it's done right and the resistance training builds real strength.
I always fall back on a quote from a professional trainer at Athlete's Performance (train a ton of pro athletes). Someone asked him if he could only do one exercise for the rest of his life, "what would it be?" He answered, "Squats. Being able to run 5 miles won't help you get out of bed when you are 80." It's not an exact quote, as I haven't seen it for a long time.
It's the most important exercise you can do and, if done right, it can easily be a good cardio workout too. Even at very low reps.
Here are some really great fitness articles that highlight and provide more detail on my philosophy:
Everything you know about fitness is a lie

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/eve ... e-20120504
The agony and the heresy

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/ru ... eresy.html
I'm not worried about the MMA gym. I have done high intensity sports before. No doubt it will kick my ass physically, even after I'm in shape, but it won't be because I should have done more cardio. It's just hard.