Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Redbelliedhound

Re: Exercise/Fitness Log

Post by Redbelliedhound »

I'm currently working on trying to get back into shape as well as getting more flexible. I have about twenty pounds to lose right now and I've been struggling to workout at least five days a week. Seven hours of my work day is walking, so it's hard to stay inspired to workout before or after work.

I've recently discovered yoga and I'm loving it. Sadly, without spending any more money I'm limited to yoga once a week unless I'm just fooling around by myself. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm doing to have a structured self workout. Trying to teach myself so if anyone has any good online resources, I'd love it.

Yoga Friday night, did a spin class Saturday morning, relaxed Sunday, and going to run in the morning Monday. :) Trying to stay consistent and keep disciplined. I love to snack. ;[

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

suomalainen wrote:
jennypenny wrote:I had a bad day yesterday when I focused too much on how far I have to go to get back to where I was...It's frustrating, but better than nothing.
I hear ya. I've done a lot of endurance type races (culminating in an ironman a few years ago). This summer, I got hit by a car and was on my back for about a month, then only PT and walking for about 2 months, then finally got cleared to slowly get back into running (can't bring myself to get back on the bike to share the road with commuters more concerned about getting to their destination than, you know, not killing people, and, well, I'd have to buy a new bike since the other one got mangled). I'm up to a half-mile run/walk. Pathetic, and frustrating as hell. Anyway, just wanted to offer that bit of sympathy and some unsolicited advice to focus on the week-to-week improvement rather than looking forward to that far-off destination. I guess kinda like ERE, right? Good luck!
That sucks! It's so frustrating when you can't move the way you're used to or the way your brain thinks you should. Will you make a full recovery?

I've made some progress. I worked myself up to 5 miles/day (even though it took over 2 hours the first time I walked that far). I straightened my gait out which helped. Then last week I was cleared to run. I'm only able to do a run/walk (can only run 2 minutes at a time right now) and it hurts like a mother, but I'm grinding through it. I look horrible--like I don't have knees or something--but I'm keeping my pace up to minimize injuries. I'm too tired to lift after running most days, but I'll live with that for now.

current music:
I'm using Outkast's Hey Ya for pacing while running. My walking songs are alt-J's Left Hand Free, Big Data's Dangerous, some Arctic Monkeys like R U Mine, and lots of Crash Kings like Mountain Man, Saving Grace and You Got Me. (I love that Crash Kings album--one of my favorites)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-31095384 <- does anyone have access to the original research to see what assumptions they made?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Synopsis says:

Background: People who are physically active have at least a 30% lower risk of death during follow-up compared with those who are inactive. However, the ideal dose of exercise for improving longevity is uncertain.

Objectives: The aim of this study was to investigate the association between jogging and long-term, all-cause mortality by focusing specifically on the effects of pace, quantity, and frequency of jogging.

Methods: As part of the Copenhagen City Heart Study, 1,098 healthy joggers and 3,950 healthy nonjoggers have been prospectively followed up since 2001. Cox proportional hazards regression analysis was performed with age as the underlying time scale and delayed entry.

Results: Compared with sedentary nonjoggers, 1 to 2.4 h of jogging per week was associated with the lowest mortality (multivariable hazard ratio [HR]: 0.29; 95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.11 to 0.80). The optimal frequency of jogging was 2 to 3 times per week (HR: 0.32; 95% CI: 0.15 to 0.69) or ≤1 time per week (HR: 0.29; 95% CI: 0.12 to 0.72). The optimal pace was slow (HR: 0.51; 95% CI: 0.24 to 1.10) or average (HR: 0.38; 95% CI: 0.22 to 0.66). The joggers were divided into light, moderate, and strenuous joggers. The lowest HR for mortality was found in light joggers (HR: 0.22; 95% CI: 0.10 to 0.47), followed by moderate joggers (HR: 0.66; 95% CI: 0.32 to 1.38) and strenuous joggers (HR: 1.97; 95% CI: 0.48 to 8.14).

Conclusions: The findings suggest a U-shaped association between all-cause mortality and dose of jogging as calibrated by pace, quantity, and frequency of jogging. Light and moderate joggers have lower mortality than sedentary nonjoggers, whereas strenuous joggers have a mortality rate not statistically different from that of the sedentary group.

slimicy

Post by slimicy »

Here's some related info, from an ex-professional distance runner:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-evid ... ic-cardio/

Ego

Post by Ego »

Somewhere between 1/2 - 2/3 of the population see self destruction as a virtue. Where they used to destroy themselves fighting for crown or clan, they now use cigs or drink or drugs or food or any other socially acceptable means to deliver themselves to the end sooner.

Last weekend we did a 12k trail running race, the 'beginner' contest part of the South African national championship 80k. There is little doubt in my mind that those 80k runners where exercising their equivalent of smoking three packs a day.

Chad

Post by Chad »

The problem with these studies is they can't control all the variables. The extremist runners/joggers are probably also extreme in other parts of their lives. They may work ridiculous hours at jobs with very high stress or they may eat garbage because their workouts burn tons of calories (2,000 calories of Doritoes is not the same as 2,000 calories of real food), it's hard to tell. With that said, these studies are still probably on to something. It seems to generally not be healthy to take any lifestyle to the extreme for decades at a time.

henrik

Post by henrik »

I find it very suspicious that they define intensity through pace ("scientists concluded the ideal pace was about 5mph (8km/h)") and "times per week". It is almost like defining the cost of a car through the monthly lease payment:)
It is likely that there are cumulative adverse effects from intense training over time, but "pace" and "times" are not units to measure intensity or load. I don't know what is, but it should at least include heart rate as a component.
Also, 8 km/h is speed; assuming constant movement, the corresponding pace would be 07:30 min/km.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

Agreed, Henrik. Since we're talking about jogging, the implied pace is a low percentage of maximum output sustained over a longer period of time, relying heavily on the aerobic pathway, so all that should be moot. What we're really talking about is volume and frequency. How far, how often.

It doesn't surprise me a bit that at the extreme end, there are less health benefits. You could probably do the same study with most training modalities. For example, sedentary people and elite powerlifters versus the guys with a 1,000 lb total. Specialization comes with a price.

J_

Post by J_ »

Since ten years I do cross country skiing in winter, since four years I do the skating variant of it. More speed, much more power to put in. Much freer for the knees as your movements are not restricted to groves in the snow. The feeling is as gentle as cycling but more of my body is involved as my arms are delivering about 40% of the speed and there is a constant need for balancing to react to changes in the slope upwards or downwards or to the snow condition. I am now in the third month of the three and a half months-wintercycle and I feel/see (good for the mind/no belly fat) the benefits of having almost every day a workout in crisp fresh mountain air. (I add kettle bell excercises for overall strenth and pilatus on the floor for souplesse)
It is perhaps a good idea Jennypenny ( and other runners) , to recover from running injuries to try this sport.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Just thought of mentioning this when I saw the thread about cell phone zombies:

If any of you other runners/joggers are looking for something fun to listen to while you beat feet and you haven't checked it out yet, I'm loving the Zombies, Run! app. (Probably everyone has heard of this. I know I'm late to this party.)

When you use it, you play a human who goes out on supply runs into zombie infested territory. Now, this story line isn't usually my cup of tea, but when someone is yelling in my ear that if I don't speed up, the zombies will get me... I do speed up. It's very effective, entertaining, and when you're not being given instructions by your handlers, you can use your own playlists. (It mutes your music to bring you game updates.) My workouts are flying by, and it feels like playtime.

Two thumbs up!

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

This New York Times analysis of the study being discussed is worth reading: google.com/gwt/x?gl=US&hl=en-US&u=http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/06/upsho ... =0CBIQFjAA

Short version: the study examined approximately 900 people, classified 40 of them as strenuous joggers, and found that after 10 years two of them had died. 15 other people in the sample (not sure of the breakdown between sedentary/moderate jogger) died in the same period. Although I find this impossible to believe for such a widely publicized finding, the cause of death was not disclosed for anyone involved, so the deaths could have been caused by anything!

It is a provocative thesis, though, and the readiness of both the media (which I generally mistrust) and the posters here (who I generally trust) to believe it indicates that perhaps it's worth investigating more thoroughly.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

A study that says that exercise, not diet, has more impact on weight as we age.

Haven't most studies up to this point said the opposite?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The good: After a couple of false starts, I'm finally cleared for running. I went for my first real run today (as in not mostly walking or constantly telling myself "just 2 more minutes" LOL). It wasn't long, but it felt good. I figure another week of testing the waters, and then I'll go back to my usual schedule of speed/easy/moderate/farleks/easy/long/rest. I've been lifting, too, but nothing organized. I'm going to start a 3-day split routine tomorrow. I'll do it twice a week with bag work and swimming/surfing on the seventh day as soon as it warms up enough.

The bad: I got up the nerve to get on the scale. I've gained 32 lbs since the first surgery on my leg 2 1/2 years ago. It's from a combination of not exercising regularly (for various reasons), not keeping my carb count low enough, and sitting at my desk for longer periods now that I'm writing more. I'm going to address all three issues immediately and hopefully get the weight off by the end of the summer. I want to do it now because it's so much easier to eat healthfully and exercise during the warmer months.

The ugly: My bloodwork. I was diagnosed with celiac 18 months ago. I'm very careful with my diet, but my GI track hasn't healed enough and I have some problems from malabsorption. I battle anemia and other deficiencies like B12 constantly. I go back and forth between injectable treatments and trying to treat it through diet alone. So far, no luck. It's not all bad, though. Eliminating gluten has significantly improved a lot of my other symptoms. Even my scleroderma symptoms have improved. My psoriasis, which I've battled since I was a teen, is almost completely gone. That alone is a miracle. I had it so bad that I used to get it in my eye sockets (which is as painful as it sounds).

I can't wait until DNA testing advances enough to show us how best to eat and exercise. I was a vegetarian for 9 years, and my scleroderma progressed the most during that time. I thought I was doing a good thing, and instead I was unwittingly poisoning myself with too much gluten and other foods like certain nuts and beans. We're all wired differently, and I can't wait until genetic testing can reveal a person's optimal diet and exercise plan.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@jenny
That's a long road. Glad you're finally back at it.

Agreed on the DNA testing. I've been toying with idea of getting my DNA and blood tested. DNA tests aren't as informative as they could be, but there are a few things I would like to know (Do I have the APOE4 gene?, etc.).

The blood tests would be a couple times per year and would give me a baseline for future tests, while allowing me to see what lifestyle choices do to my blood work. I don't like using the general population baselines.
Last edited by Chad on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Wow, Jenny. Congrats on running again! That must feel good. :-)

+2 on genetic test advancement. My mother's family has genetic autoimmune problems, and we all manifest them differently. It would be nice to have a better idea of where each of us should focus.

henrik

Post by henrik »

jennypenny wrote:I figure another week of testing the waters, and then I'll go back to my usual schedule of speed/easy/moderate/farleks/easy/long/rest.
That's a pretty intense schedule. Do you have a time/distance/pace goal in mind?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@henrik--I was running 45-50 miles/week when I had to stop. I was using a similar schedule to what I posted. The rest day varies because there is always a day each week that other commitments keep me from running, so that ends up being my rest day. Plus, the fartlek and speed days are shorter runs. The fartleks are interval training and the speed day is a shorter run at race pace.

My goal now is to get to 20 miles running/week, then start training for a half I want to run in the fall and a full (my first) over the winter. My doctor thinks I'm nuts, but the more he tells me to find another sport, the more I want to prove him wrong. :P

edit: To be clear. I was running 45-50 miles/week when I had the first surgery. I got back into running after the 6-month recovery and (I think) I was up close to 30 miles/week when I fractured my leg (that story is in this thread somewhere). More time off. Ran last summer and started training again. More surgery last fall. ... yada yada. My point being that I feel like I'm starting from scratch but I do have a base. And I'm getting really good at restarting. :D

henrik

Post by henrik »

@jp I'm inclined to agree with your doctor:) 50 miles and 6 days per week feels like pro marathoner or ultra level training to me. I've always been a minimalist in my training schedules though and I think recovery time is underrated in modern training philosophy. What seems to work best for me is 3-4 times per week and a max mileage of around 60 km / 40 miles per week in the period around weeks -10 to -3 before a marathon.
I am in no way criticising your plan though, I'm very much aware that training preferences and requirements are very individual. Good look with the plan and I hope you'll get to follow through without another interruption. Do you have a time goal in mind for the half and the full?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

henrik wrote:Do you have a time goal in mind for the half and the full?
Not really. At this point, I just want to finish, and finish without walking ... or falling ... or having a panic attack ... or getting into a fight with another runner (all things I've done).

I can handle the running. The fracture was from tripping on the treadmill (I know :roll: ), but the surgeries were unrelated.