Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I did the lifing, but didn't do as much running as I'd like. Diet was ok. We had a graduation here, so I attended a few parties. I avoided alcohol but indulged in sweets a couple of times.
I managed to wean myself off of coffee this week. I'm very pleased about that. I suffer from GERD so I should avoid coffee. Ego turned me on to nutritionfacts.org and I have several different teas that I try and fit into my day now. Replacing coffee with tea helps that goal too.
What is disc golf?

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

Posting every three days is a bit much, but if I will if something changes or worthwhile info can be shared.......
I have been doing quite well with nearly an hour of dedicated exercise every day. I do best forming the habit of exercising when waking. I think this will continue into my routine as I am no longer a working stiff.
Swimming is one of those antifragile activities that I wish to continue to death for the health benefit and to accompany many of the activities I am doing and want to do. I swam laps twice this week doing about a mile each time. @Riparian I'm using the couch to 10k app to ease back into running, good stuff.
@jp, good to hear you check in, was close to calling you out. I have had on/off relationship with coffee but have been off for over 6 months. It does reduce GERD and definitely aids my all day mood. Will check out nutrition facts.org.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Fishing. 0.5 mile hike downhill, 600' elevation drop from trailhead to river, 2 miles downriver (no trails) and back.
Woodcutting. 1/2 cord cut & split.

riparian

Post by riparian »

I did 19 rounds of 2 pull ups/3 pull ups/5 squats in 20 minutes today. Also some water hauling and hatchet work and a short walk.

The day before I ran. Good thing c25k is so easy cause it's about a million degrees here.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@riparian

I know you can do different types of push-ups. My problem with those is that they end up working different smaller muscle groups, which is a lot of the reason they are more difficult. Regular push-ups work pecs/chest more, handstand push-ups work shoulders more, one-handed push-ups work supporting/balancing muscles more, etc. All good, but even with the variations we end up plateauing because there aren't enough variations to add stress for gains.
Someone who does push-ups should be able to beat someone who uses weights in a push-up contest. Just like someone who uses weights should be able to lift more than someone who does push-ups.
The old Herschel Walker myth of him mainly using push-ups and sit-ups to be in shape for the NFL was BS. Push-ups are fine, but not the end-all-be-all of upper body exercises. There really isn't an end-all-be-all upper body exercise like there is for the lower body (squats).

Chad

Post by Chad »

I agree that a match/game of something is much more fun. But, I like being able to measure my fitness improvement. You can do it with weights, reps, times, distances, etc., but it's much more difficult to do with fighting, basketball, etc. as the intensity will vary per match/game.

riparian

Post by riparian »

Chad, I don't lift weights, and I bet I can lift more than you. Additionally, working all those "extra" muscles means my strength applies in the real world.

Chad

Post by Chad »

We are talking smack now on here? If I offended you I apologize.
Weights work fine in the "real" world, as long as the work was done on free weights (lots of personal experience). Of course, non-traditional exercises like kettlebells and push-up variations are still very valuable, but they, as with weights, can not fulfill every fitness need.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I only missed one day this week so I'm pretty happy with that. DH said when I was running this morning I had that "look" in my eye again, so that's good.
My diet was better, but not perfect (no cake this week at least). It's easier to eat healthy during the summer, and our garden and the CSA are providing plenty of food. We tried Pepperidge Farm Carb-Style (low carb) bread. It was pretty good toasted.
DH is setting up a heavy bad and speed bag in the garage next to the weights. That will help me vary the workouts a bit. My other goal is to start swimming laps at the swim club when I take my kids over. Need to get a pair of goggles for that.
--------
Short rant: My gym just bought two trams that will circle the parking lot and pick people up and drive them to the front entrance. WTF?? If you're going in to exercise anyway, why wouldn't you just walk to the entrance? Ugh, Stepford drives me crazy sometimes.

freebooks

Post by freebooks »

Like the obese people who circle the parking lot for the closest place possible. They should have reverse-handicap stickers and be forced to park as far away from the store as possible to help with their health problems ;-)

jennypenny

Re: Exercise/Fitness Log

Post by jennypenny »

This week was ok. It was very busy, but I still managed to get my workouts in. I did give in and have coffee a couple of times. Lost 5 lbs. so far (I put on 15 over the winter), so that's good.

Do any of you use racing or other events for motivation? I'm of two minds. I do much better with some races on the calendar and a training schedule. OTOH, if I could learn to motivate myself I wouldn't have to spend the money on racing. Races are pretty expensive these days.

@freebooks--I don't mind at all if people who have mobility issues of any kind use the tram. That's not who's using it though.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Su Hour on the bike
M Hour walk
T Hour and a half of volleyball
W Hour walk
R Hour walk
F Two hours disc golf
S Half hour walk and an hour mowing

Would have liked to done an hour on the bike on Thursday, but the rain was too much. The hour walks are on my lunch break at work.

riparian

Post by riparian »

Chad, I'm sorry if it seemed like I was talking "smack" or if I offended you.

Today I did 5 rounds of 3 pull ups, 10 push ups, and 16 squats in 13 minutes.

I've fallen off the running due to a problem bear.

George the original one

@riparian - LOL, you do have the darndest difficulties!

Chad

Post by Chad »

@riparian
No offense taken even if you were talking smack.

No running due to a bear? A real bear? Probably best excuse I have heard.

C40

Post by C40 »

Two of the things I'm looking forward to the most about buying a house:
- room for a big garden
- space for a gym!

Hopefully I'll be sharing pictures of my ERE strength training setup within the next 6 months :-)

On the actual fitness side, I made a "6 pack challenge" bet that ends by July 4 with a co-worker. He is continually overweight while nearly continually having plans/bets about losing weight. His part of the bet wasn't to get a 6 pack but it was to lose a VERY challenging amount of weight (his own choice). He's going to have $100 for me on Monday. yay!

riparian

Post by riparian »

A real bear. Normally I have polite black bear neighbors but now I have this creepy stalker grizzly bear. It's actually illegal to shoot brown bears (plus a lot of fucking work) except for in defense of life and property, but totally legal to shoot black bears. Anyways, I figured I could solve this problem by eventually shooting him or by not running in the woods, and not running in the woods sounds much simpler. (He hasn't come around here and tried to get anything, which is unusual for a problematic sort of bear. He seems to be a young male so he'll probly move on shortly.)

Anyways. I'm going to a conference in a couple weeks and was hoping to lose like 15 more pounds before I got there. Fatness totally fucks with my income when I travel. Damnedest damn problems.

workathome

Post by workathome »

How does fatness fuck with your travel? I don't think airlines charge more??

George the original one

Riparian's income is affected, not the travel.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Sorry, I meant to delete that post. I don't see the option to edit it or anything now.