Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Exercise/Fitness Log

Post by jacob »

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I was about to post that article as well.

That article is basically just an advertisement for the whole Paleo movement. So heavily biased IMO. Why did they have to compare the femurs and abilities of ancestors from 6000 years ago? There are still hunter and gatherer tribes around today. If there studies are correct, individuals from those tribes would be able to "destroy" us.

There is no way hunter-gatherers consumed a diet of mostly meat. That goes against a lot of the work that anthropologists have made around this subject. Tracking large game took days, even weeks, and then it was shared throughout the whole community. Yes, there are tribes like the Eskimos and others of the Far North that consumed a diet of almost all meat, but that is the exception rather than the norm.

The hunter-gatherer was more active/fit than the average "1st world" couch slob, but is that really a surprise? The idea that they are so far ahead of a professional athlete, someone in the military or even someone who maintains a high level of fitness is just bullshit. It seems like Outside was just looking for a large response and they certainly got one.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I started taking tennis lessons and my knees are killing me. They never bother me running, so it must be something with the tennis. Does anyone play and have any tips? It's funny because people warned me that my back and shoulders would hurt, but they're fine. It's just my knees. (and my pride--I kinda suck :oops: )

re: article
I read an article (I think in NatGeo) that said that pound-for-pound humans were stronger in the past, but we are much taller now so our overall strength has improved. We've also traded a decrease in strength for increases in flexibility and agility. After reading The Sports Gene, it seems hard to generalize this kind of thing. Comparing current humans from SE Asia, Scandinavia, and NE Africa would show some significant differences.

Of course, I'm comparing humans in relatively good shape, and not talking about lifestyle changes other than the abandonment of the hunter-gatherer culture.

related ... Watched a show on Smithsonian last week called The Perfect Runner that talked about adaptations to humans. http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/we ... runner-the

Chad

Post by Chad »

Maybe your knees will adjust. Tennis requires a lot of hard stops and explosive starts at odd angles, which almost no one but athletes does on a regular basis. And, even most of them don't really do a it a lot.

You might want to reduce any other running for a little bit to give your knees extra recovery time.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

At our advanced age of 25+ tendons (if it's that) are not to be messed with. Go really slow (a 6-12 month build up). I spent 6 months recovering from ankle tendonitis from sword practice. The alternative is to "train through it" and then get an operation once/if it snaps.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I didn't think about the tendons. I just finished a long course of levaquin. Maybe I'll ask my doctor about it.

I don't have any problems like this with running, swimming, or golf, so maybe I should stick with those.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I started my road back to Crossfit on May 1. I have a medical test in June that should give me final clearance. I've started a simple plyometric routine of push-ups, sit-ups, and squats: 10 each on May 1st, 11 each May 2nd, 12 each on May 3rd, etc. I'll do a little running this coming weekend, and maybe break out the jumprope. Mid-month I might start to substitute some dumbbell cleans/snatches for the squats. Even with the light work I've done the last 6 days, I'm already sore as heck. Getting old sucks, but I'm going down swinging. :)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I progressed fairly well after I gave up the tennis. I had to have something else done to frankenleg this week, so I can't run. I'm walking as of today, and I'm cleared to run as soon as the stitches heal since the muscle wasn't involved this time. To make up for not running, I'm hitting the weights and bag hard, and doing extra ab work.

I'm hoping to run a local half marathon in November. If I have to have more work done to frankenleg, I might need to push it back to a different one in February.

I'm back to my low carb/IF diet. It's not really paleo. It's much closer to Atkins. I feel better eating like this. I'm also gluten-free (I'm a celiac), and I've found a LC/GF protein powder I like. My weight isn't budging, but I'm going on the theory that I'm building muscle and muscle weighs more. ;)

I'm on a Chevelle kick right now. I play it while I'm lifting.
Take Out the Gunman
Hats Off to the Bull
Face to the Floor
Send the Pain Below

Chad

Post by Chad »

You can use body measurements to determine if you are gaining muscle or fat.

http://www.amazon.com/AccuFitness-MT05- ... =body+tape

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Some LC/GF sites that have interesting info and recipes ...
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/ (tons of recipes)
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/
http://www.atkinsdietgeek.com/
http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/ (I also posted this in lilacorchid's journal)

DrSweden

Post by DrSweden »

I am a member of a gym, cross fit style. However I only train by myself. I like to train with kettlebells and to deadlift, squat, chins ect.

Tonight I trained in my garden with my kb. Did some Clean and press and then some snatches. I have my gym membership for another year now (450$) but I am thinking of canceling it after. I have KB 24, 32, 40 kg. And a barbell with 60 kg, a chin rack + olympic rings. However my garage is cold and can be heated to about 12 Celcius during winter. Or else I can do my snatches outside in the Swedish winter.

I could limit myself to during october - feb: Heavy swings, chins, Clean and press and running.

Do any of you train outside during the winter?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I read through this entire thread. So much health drama. :lol: I'm happy to report that I'm off the meds, doing really well, and, except for one more procedure on frankenleg this fall, ready to start training and racing again.

I'm running consistently now. I'm not doing as much strength training as I should. I run first, and then half of the time I'm too tired to lift afterward. I should probably alternate which comes first in my workout, but I'm really focused on running right now. I'll have to take a break from running when I have that procedure done, so I want to get in as much mileage as possible before then. I'm aiming for my first race in February.

The diet is going well, although my weight isn't budging. :( I've gained 20 lbs since the first procedure on my leg in Nov '12. I feel good, but I know it will be so much easier to run long distances when I get the weight off.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Good to hear.
jennypenny wrote: I'm running consistently now. I'm not doing as much strength training as I should. I run first, and then half of the time I'm too tired to lift afterward. I should probably alternate which comes first in my workout, but I'm really focused on running right now. I'll have to take a break from running when I have that procedure done, so I want to get in as much mileage as possible before then. I'm aiming for my first race in February.
I always do strength first for this very reason.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Running is going well. I'm having trouble getting back to race pace. Speed work would help, but I'm hesitant to open up my stride and go all out during speed workouts. I need to get over my fear of re-injuring the leg. This week marks a year since I fractured it.

Life's been a little stressful lately, so I'm spending quality time with the heavy bag. :lol:
That playlist includes ...
Jet: Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Rage Against the Machine: Bulls on Parade
Limp Bizkit: Break Stuff*

*also my second alarm tune if I ignore the first alarm

-----

I'm a fan of Michael Pollan. Here's a good interview with Ezra Klein.

I've always liked his "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." recommendation. We need one for exercise. Something like ... Move often. More than is comfortable. Mostly on your feet.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

As luck (or rather connections) would have it, we're now in possession of a fancy treadmill on infinite free lease because the owner ran out of space to put new stuff in their home. Well sure... we'll "store" it for you :)

I've been running the built-in programs to a comical effect.

What I've observed:

1) Running on a treadmill seems to be very different than running IRL. I first observed that when when trying to cross a street at a run I found myself not accelerating but rather doing some silly knee lift going nowhere. This I figure is because a treadmill has no acceleration and it automatically moves your feet backwards for you. Therefore it develops a running style with less forward force.

2) I run in my socks (I haven't owned any running shoes since 2011 or so). I find myself running much slower than I remember. A 10 min mile is hard on the treadmill. I used to run 6-7 min miles with relative ease (in shoes on asphalt) and it's not like I've lost cardio. I think I'm taking much smaller steps than in IRL. Might be a barefoot thing. Might also be my being nervous of falling off the back.

3) It's much less boring than being on a cycling trainer. I didn't expect that.

henrik

Post by henrik »

The first and last time I ran on a treadmill I did 15k in one go and when it stopped, I fell over and almost threw up.. didn't see that coming:) I.e., not only is there less forward force, there is a lot more balancing going on.

Venom

Post by Venom »

Recovering from a slightly torn ACL. Not to mention today was my first day walking to a freaking gym that is only 0.6 miles from my house. How ignorant of me, huh? Thank God for ERE :). Here was today's training:

Squats 45lbsx10 135x3 185x3 225x5x5(going to up the weight 5lbs per WEEK)

Bench 45x5 95x5 135x5 175x5(sets)x3(reps)

Mid-Row 200lbs 5x10

KB Clean and Press 53lbsx3x6

I do pull-ups daily. Trying to get a weighted chin-up of ~90lbs for a set of 3. That's a very long term goal.

Ego

Post by Ego »

For the last three weeks I've done a 15min AMRAP consisting of:

-3 chest to bar kipping pullups: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RydVit1JIJU

-3 alternating offset pushups: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q5sk1a_n88

-3 20lb dumbbell shoulder presses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-aVuyhvLHU

-3 25lb standing cable rows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS6OKT0YXos

Near death experience. The last few sets of pullups were pathetic. Otherwise I was able to struggle through, gulping air before each set.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Looking up AMRAP, here was the first thing I got:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Amrap

Doing as many reps as possible, though, that looks rough. I'm interested in that kind of routine for the sake of variety, but there's no way I could do it for 15 minutes...

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

DB Clean and Press 30 lbs.X10 setsX8 reps = 2400 overhead lbs. in 10 minutes

Which means that if I did the calculations correctly it might be a fair match if you put me in the ring with an 120 lb. male couch potato (especially if kicking was allowed.) My goal is 3600 overhead lbs. in 10 minutes. @ 5'9" 165 lbs. 38"28"40".