Exercise/Fitness Log

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Re: Exercise/Fitness Log

Post by jacob » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Has anyone done a comparison between the wrist and the chest HR monitors? Do the wrist monitors have to be reasonably tight to work?

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:13 pm

Ego wrote:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/0 ... tness-age/

Older athletes can be much younger, physically, than they are in real life, according to a new study of participants in the coming Senior Olympics. The study found that the athletes’ fitness age is typically 20 years or more younger than their chronological age, providing a clear inspiration to the rest of us to get out and start moving more.

Fitness-age calculator.
https://www.worldfitnesslevel.org/#/

Someone should make a calculator to combine this with a Myers-Briggs and SWR calculator to make an ERE score.
Related: Aging rates vary widely ... and link to journal article (PDF)
"The scientists looked at 18 different ageing-related traits when the group turned 26, 32 and 38 years old. The analysis showed that at the age of 38, the people's biological ages ranged from the late-20s to those who were nearly 60."

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:12 pm

Done 1.5 weeks of "Month 2" now.

It does get easier the second time around but M2 is definitely pushing my performance limits rather than just regaining past performance. It's tough!! And there are way more "stupid human tricks"(*). And therefore, I ordered Asylum 1.

(*) Exercises that make me feel dumb because I can't do them very well.

PS: M2 is much heavier on the push-ups(**) than M1. Both wide (pecs) and narrow (triceps).
PPS: Catching the train today on a 150m sprint only left me very slightly breathless (at this level).
PPPS: It used to be that double-stepping the escalator for seven floors was hard. Now it's a matter of course.

(**) I hate push-ups. Always avoided them. Until now.

Chad

Post by Chad » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:37 am

PPS: Catching the train today on a 150m sprint only left me very slightly breathless (at this level).
PPPS: It used to be that double-stepping the escalator for seven floors was hard. Now it's a matter of course.

I love that feeling of being fit enough to be in control of almost any athletic situation. I'm working on getting to that level now. Doing 5-6 days a week of cardio and 4 days of strength training. I'm upping the cardio next week from the base level couple mile jog to HIIT and will be going from low weight base building strength exercises to high weight to failure exercises. I needed to get past the "I'm too sore to get out of bed" phase before I really amped it up.

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:45 pm

Looking for perspectives on optimal number of sets and recovery time to increase maximum number of push ups. Data here.

I was doing some training before the list starts, maybe attempting week three of the 100 push-up program. But I didn't record anything.

For the first five days I was doing six near max sets separated by very long breaks, based on a self-assessment of when I could give near max effort again.

Then I read this SEAL preparation guide which advised 5 sets of 20 with 60 to 120 second breaks, based on my current max of 33.

I was very pleased with the results, which seemed to take me to a new max of 38 after about two weeks.

Since then my training has been desultory because of some health and personal crises. Now I'm getting back on track and wondering if I should reassess. Anyone's feedback is welcome.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:49 pm

@Miss Lonelyhearts--I like that SEAL guide.

I came up lame the other day during my long run. Just got the results from the doctor ... another fracture. I think my orthopedist is going to stage an intervention if I don't give up the running. As luck would have it, I bought a used Raleigh a couple of weeks ago, so I have an alternative right now. I don't ride well enough to get a good aerobic workout, but it's something. I still remember all the tricks for lifting and bag work from the last fracture. And at this point I'm a pro on crutches, although right now I could be cited for CWI.

I don't know what I'm going to do. The running means so much more to me than just exercise. I guess I'll see how fast this heals and then decide.

Ego

Post by Ego » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:03 pm

jennypenny wrote: I came up lame the other day during my long run. Just got the results from the doctor ... another fracture.
Nooooooooooooo! :cry:

I'm really sorry.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:07 am

That sucks. ((jp)) I decided to give up running as one of my ever-rotating exercise options after I blew up one of my knees last spring, but I was never devoted to it. My sister, who was a thoroughly devoted runner, is now subject to fractures due to side-effects of cancer treatment. She is now thoroughly devoted to yoga.

Chad

Post by Chad » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:54 am

jennypenny wrote: I came up lame the other day during my long run.
That really sucks.

You may have already thought of these or they may be useless:
- Are you running on asphalt/concrete? Maybe there is a park or trail nearby? Might reduce the pounding a little.
- Maybe change your running form? Forefoot strike instead of heal or vice-versa?
- Maybe the super cushioned shoes? http://running.competitor.com/2015/03/p ... oes_124099
- More rest between runs?
- Blood tests to determine if you are deficient in anything. http://www.wellnessfx.com/

I have no idea if these would be even remotely helpful. Just throwing them out there with the random hope one might help.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:44 am

I heard something akin to the following quote that "runners are the sickest group of healthy people you'll ever meet" from so many different places that there's probably a lot of truth to it.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:41 pm

Consider her track record, I think it's just Jenny... :lol:

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Ha! Sadly, that's probably true. I'm all nerve, no skill. It won't ever stop me, though. I'll just strap on a LifeAlert with the squirrel suit. :D

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:14 pm

Month 2 of Insanity started out really well going for 1.5 weeks without missing a day (Month 2 is six 1-hour days + a rest day). Then it was broken deliberately by vacation. When I got back indoor temperatures had gone up to 82F and humidity was in 70-80% range leading to cooling failure after 15 minutes. There was just no way. So I did some running instead :-P

However, temps are back in the low 80s and humidity is under 50%, so I'm restarting Month 2.

Unfortunately, I seem to have lost a lot of pushup power from two weeks of doing mostly nothing.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:40 pm

Off the crutches. My leg feels pretty steady although right now it feels like a giant Charlie horse--I guess because it's the first time I've been on it in a while.

I talked to the orthopedist about how to proceed if I want to keep running (he'd rather I stopped).I'm going to work on other cardio for now like walking and biking. I'm also going to focus on strength training to get stronger and make sure my strength is balanced. I'm also going lose as much weight as possible before I try and run again. It couldn't hurt. I've also agreed to take the supplements I need to compensate for the deficiencies related to the celiac.

Ha, that sounds like a lot now that I've written it all down. Better get busy. :lol:

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:00 am

Do any of you drink lemon water? Do you drink it alone or in something like tea? Does it have to be warm for the benefit?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:37 pm

Insanity is finally done done DONE!!!

Results: In terms of sustained horsepower intensity (30-60 minutes) I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm not as 1-rep or 10-rep strong as when I was 30 yo, nor is my resting pulse as low was when I was swimming as a teen, but in terms of 50-100 rep sets, I don't think I've ever been better.

Prior to starting this I was running or cycling (spinervals and runervals) for about 30-120 minutes per day, so I had a good aerobic base to start with. In the program you do a test every 14 days doing 9 different exercises for max rep in a minute. Most of my test numbers have been doubled and some have more than tripled. My previous self from 3 months ago would be ashamed to meet and be utterly crushed by my present self. Oh yeah, I ultimately managed to beat Tonia ("the machine") on most numbers too. Not low-plan oblique.

Physically, I've put on about 5 pounds of muscle and dropped about 1% of bodyfat down to 8%. DW has one of those fitbit scales which I get to use and it's just a steady linear transition. I didn't bother changing my diet because I really do like pasta.

There IS such a thing as "insanity sore". It's pretty much a constant feeling of DOMS stretching from just above the knees to the lower ribs. Usually DOMS goes away for me when I get used to a routine but here I just pushed harder and harder.
I quickly began to dread the 60-minute workouts in month 2. I haven't felt this need to psyche myself up to working out since I did the clubbell density training (in the style described in the ERE book). On the other hand, unlike weighted HIIT the feeling of having been destroyed recedes much quicker.

I'm kinda glad it's over. It probably won't be long before I'm back.

Oh yeah, I highly recommend it!!---Which is saying a lot from someone who came in very dismissive of "body weight aerobics on TV"-workouts most of which make me yawn, literally. Note that Insanity VERY tough on the knees and ankles! There's a lot of all kinds of different jumping and landing. Starting my knees/ankles were strong enough to run/sprint, but not strong enough to do power jumps, frog jumps, power jacks, and similar for 45 minutes w/o joint pain (which is BAD). The intensity level is just about the highest that's available commercially. It clocks in at 1000kcal/hour which corresponds to cycling time trials at 22mph+. There are also several instances of what I refer to as "stupid human tricks" which are exercises that require an absolute minimum level of strength and flexibility to do at all. (I could do most of them except some gymnastics moves that just made me feel stupid and frustrated :-P ) If you can't do a handstand against the wall, high knees for 2 minutes straight, 20 real pushups, and drop from standing into a low plank w/o injury then forget about it for now. It's not intended for rookies.

I bought my set for $50 on eBay.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:16 pm

It's been a month. I've been doing the hill workouts on my treadmill and biking. (haven't fallen yet :) ) I'm also lifting daily. I set up a superset in my garage so I can keep my heart rate up while I lift. It includes weight stations, heavy bag, speed bag, burpees, push ups, and dips. I hate to admit it since I miss the running, but I feel better. I'm definitely stronger and I'm sleeping better. I haven't gotten on the scale yet, but I'm going to on Tuesday and start focusing on weight loss.

Chad

Post by Chad » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:17 pm

jennypenny wrote:It's been a month. I've been doing the hill workouts on my treadmill and biking. (haven't fallen yet :) ) I'm also lifting daily. I set up a superset in my garage so I can keep my heart rate up while I lift. It includes weight stations, heavy bag, speed bag, burpees, push ups, and dips. I hate to admit it since I miss the running, but I feel better. I'm definitely stronger and I'm sleeping better. I haven't gotten on the scale yet, but I'm going to on Tuesday and start focusing on weight loss.
Sounds like a good workout. Make sure you measure yourself (waist, biceps/triceps, shoulders/chest, thighs). The scale won't show your full progress if you are building muscle, but the tape will.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:07 pm

I wish I had thought to take measurements so I could track that progress. I'm at the shore and I felt so much steadier in the surf today. I'm sure that's the strength training. It was nice to see 'real world' results instead of just numbers. It made me want to work harder at it.

Ego

Post by Ego » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:58 pm

For the past few months I've been running in the hiking/approach shoes I used on the Lycian Way hike and gradually developed some sort of heel issue. I was reluctant to pay real money for new shoes in Indonesia because I wasn't entirely convinced it was the shoes. Well, yesterday we went to the weekend market in Bangkok and found great used shoes for for both of us. Mrs. Ego found a pair of Chaco's and I got some good runners for 350 baht ($9.75). We did some speed work in Lumpini park this morning and the heel feels good as new. I'm happy that it went away but I'm a little bummed that I wasn't able to adapt to the approach shoes. I used to take pride in the fact that I cold run with whatever I stuck on my feet. Oh well,

Chad

Post by Chad » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:37 am

@jp

At least it's measurable in real life events!

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:03 pm

https://www.velopress.com/books/fast-after-50/

Although mostly endurance focused where strength training is seen as complementary, I recommend it anyway.

Ego

Post by Ego » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:48 pm

We ran a 10K this morning. 90 degrees and 90% humidity with a hilly course. I was happy with my effort but even happier when Mrs. Ego came across the finish line as the first woman overall. She won a trophy and a meal at one of the island's nicest restaurant. The speed work is paying off.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:08 am

@Ego--That's awesome! I would have assumed that traveling would have a negative impact on your fitness level. Is it hard to keep it up while traveling?

Ego

Post by Ego » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:38 pm

It's strange. Now that I look back I realize that our fitness levels plunged (or maybe it is better to say changed) while hiking the Lycian Way. Partially, I believe, because we were carrying heavy packs long distance, day after day, but not really doing anything intense. That effort demanded a lot of calories but the food in the rural places was not terribly nutritious. Lots of white bread. Few fresh vegetables available to purchase.

We turned things around in Ubud. It is by far the healthiest place we've ever been. Organic produce can be bought directly from the small-plot growers and the grocery stores are chock-full of healthy foods. We rented mountain bikes and were riding a lot. Running through the paths along the rice paddies is magnificent.

Mrs. Ego was practicing yoga at the Disneyland of yoga, The Yoga Barn. http://www.theyogabarn.com/ I'm not a yogi, but being around those who are the most dedicated yoga-people in the world had a positive influence, even on me. I mean the doers, those who are actually dedicated to a particular practice. Not those who adopt the trapping of someone who seems to be a doer. They are there too.

I was going to write longer thread on Bali as an ERE destination but I'll leave it at that for now. Oh, one other thing. While walking or riding around Ubud I would count the single females and males. Not the locals, just the foreigners. The ratio was always about 75% female to 25% male. And most people are healthy. The book and movie Eat-Pray-Love showed the West that Ubud is a place where single females can go without being harassed. And so they come in droves. Single ER guys (or ER women interested in finding other women open to adventure) take note.

I digress.