Saving up for your kids college from day 1 VS. just buying them a 1OO % debt free house ?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
dropoutretire

Re: Saving up for your kids college from day 1 VS. just buying them a 1OO % debt free house ?

Post by dropoutretire »

You know what cracks me up is that if people have a debt free chunk of money for college to give their kids to throw away at 18 years old they do it all at once as if their 18 year old is wise enough to know what to do with it, but on this site it sounds like people are afraid to give their 18 year old debt free house instead as if they want to give them some of the house money at spread out ages but not spread out the money for college. I would trust my kids with the 100% paid off house and expect the house to remain successful vs. the college education. If I gave my kids a house I would just have them sign an agreement that they could never ever take out a mortgage against it. No home equity loans period. :) :)