What's the difference between a first round interview and a second round/final interview?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
TopHatFox

What's the difference between a first round interview and a second round/final interview?

Post by TopHatFox »

Thoughts?

From my journal: I've landed two final interviews, one at a HNW financial advisory in a small (and expensive) city of NY and the other at my college's investment office. The NY interview includes a dinner and hotel stay on an upcoming Saturday, and a 10 AM Sunday 3-hour interview including a written assessment, IQ/Personality Test, and meeting with upper management in the office. The Investment Office Interview will include meeting with upper management in the office and hoping for the best. I have no idea how to prepare for these after the first interview except to show up.

Kriegsspiel

Re: What's the difference between a first round interview and a second round/final interview?

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I'm in the same boat. As far as I can tell, if you've already passed the STAR questions interviews, they just want to meet you in person to see if they'd like working with you, or if you're super awkward or something.

Scott 2

Re: What's the difference between a first round interview and a second round/final interview?

Post by Scott 2 »

First round, they make sure you're qualified and inoffensive.

Final round, they make sure you mutually fit. Does everyone want to work with you 10 hours a day for the next five years? Can you come out and play with us, the show up and work hard the next morning, while remaining pleasant?

Assuming they like you, they are also selling you on the company. The best candidates are going to have multiple prospects.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

@olaz Congrats on having two lots of employers looking at you very seriously. For the NY interview will you be there alongside other candidates? In which case, although there may be individual interviews and meetings there may be some element of assessment centre activity where you have to work together within a group candidates (with someone observing). Nothing to be worried about. You should aim to be Mr Calm, Confident and Charming. You can do that.