Professional resume writers, scam or legit?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
halfmoon

Re: Professional resume writers, scam or legit?

Post by halfmoon »

Maybe this isn't a factor for college graduates, but in some situations there's a danger of overselling yourself with a great resume. My stepson is chronically underemployed in manufacturing jobs and has very limited computer experience. He does have warehousing skills and experience, so I put together a sharp resume and cover letter for him. He got plenty of interest and was hired for a series of jobs where he didn't fit because the employers were looking for that guy who wrote the resume.

On the other hand: I helped clients hire an office manager for their construction/leasing business. They were paying well, so we were able to be picky. I passed over one resume that was poorly formatted and had a spelling error, because I value language skills highly. We hired someone who looked good on paper but was completely unsuited to the job environment; she quit before we could fire her. When we advertised the job again, one of the submitted resumes was the same one with the typos. This time I looked past that to the applicant's experience in construction, and we ended up hiring her. Three years later, she's running the entire company and doing a truly fantastic job.

Kind of obscure and possibly irrelevant to the OP, but my point is that job-hunting can be like online dating. Written impact helps to get the date, but eventually you'll have to take off your clothes.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

@halfmoon

Thanks for your comment, your point is sort of the reason why I am looking into one. I feel that I am more competent/qualified than my resume shows due to excessive meandering and lack of good opportunities in my home area (I'm in my early twenties). Once I am able to break into a job market someplace with more opportunities and develop a network and track record I don't think Ill need a resume writer anymore - the problem is getting in!

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Makes sense. In that case: some good advice here, particularly (imho) from Tyler and saving_10_years.