Different types of people that solicit through LinkedIn?

Hacking employment, improving work, professional skill development
Olaz

Different types of people that solicit through LinkedIn?

Postby Olaz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:18 pm

Recently an entrepreneur reached out to me on LinkedIn: a young entrepreneur who's business plan it is to get to know people--particularly what they could use help with at this point in their professional life--and then connect people to other people. He then has salespeople sell marketing solutions to help those people get noticed by others in their niche, get more people to their websites, etc. Fairly straight forward nose to the grindstone sales and marketing entrepreneurial path combined with accumulating social capital via value sharing. He seemed like a young kid just getting his start in entrepreneurship, and I couldn't pick up any signs of sketchiness besides that the people he connects me to might want to sell me something (which, admittedly, could be useful).

In my case, we exchanged different personal development resources we've liked; he offered to connect me to a LinkedIn consultant to make my linkedIn even better (for a fee obviously); and suggested that I would likely benefit from monetizing my finance knowledge not only in a job, but by creating my own personal finance consulting company and blog/Youtube following, especially emphasizing that it should be aimed to the vanaboding, vagabonding, or FIRE community. Nice. : )

Anyway, what different kinds of people have solicited you on LinkedIn? Which have been most helpful? Which are best avoided?

Dragline

Re: Different types of people that solicit through LinkedIn?

Postby Dragline » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Mostly just head hunters and people with stuff/services to sell or trying to attract an audience. Colleagues, former colleague, old acquaintances and friends IRL are other groups. And people seeking employment.

If I didn't have a job or wanted a different job it might be useful. Right now it just acts like some kind of extended contact list that may or may not get used some day. I would probably not pay for anything solicited there.

Note that LinkedIn has become a de facto public profile for you if you are interviewing, so make sure whatever you have up there is not contradicted by anything you submit to a potential employer. It's a place to be informative, but not creative in your outward presentation.

chenda

Re: Different types of people that solicit through LinkedIn?

Postby chenda » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Just occasional headhunters/recruitment agencies peddling their wares.

I hardly ever bother with it tbh, I don't like its messy format. Plus it tells you who's being looking at your profile, so no stalking ex-colleagues ;)

Return to “Work & Education”