Edge.org 2017 Question: What scientific term or concept ought to be more widely known?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives

daylen

Re: Edge.org 2017 Question: What scientific term or concept ought to be more widely known?

Post by daylen »

Law of large numbers, opportunity cost, antifragility, all the major psychological biases, vector spaces, and fundamental theorem of arithmetic for starters :D

And Bayes theorem!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Edge.org 2017 Question: What scientific term or concept ought to be more widely known?

Post by jacob »

I'd aim for something much more fundamental than that. I think the scientific definition of fact and theory should be more widely known. There are many indications that when laymen speaks of "facts", they mean something closer to what one would expect in a court-room debate ("I've presented the relevant facts, your honor!") or consumer-research ("I've researched all the facts") ... and something closer to "wild guess" or "hypothesis" when they talk about theory.

I would actually quite doubt that very many non-scientists can define what scientific fact, scientific law, and scientific theory means in the way they're using in science.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

+1.

But I'll go with the Dunning-Krueger effect this year.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I'm on that Edge email list. But the topics are not usually as interesting as I thought they would be when I subscribed.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I'd vote for "uncertainty" (or "tolerance" in the engineering sense). Even the most trusted measurements have some degree of uncertainty, and some truths are more reliable than others. Most people have a very difficult time dealing with the concept of uncertainty.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

linear vs. exponential growth/decay

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

some economic insights like subjective value theory, broken window fallacy, the seen vs. the unseen..

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Anthropogenic Climate Change and its social, world-scale solutions 8-)