The world is against me!

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Farm_or

The world is against me!

Post by Farm_or »

He didn't really come out and say it, but it was often his underlying theme. He'd been at the company for 3 1/2 years, consistently made extra effort to better things, yet never received his due acknowledgement.

Trying to help, I related to him my similar struggle at a previous employer for 7 years. How I had applied myself for seven years, but was left behind in raises and earnings. My peers were all being paid $18/hr but I was stuck below $13. I started at $11 seven years prior! I made countless (thankless) contributions. I showed up earlier, worked harder, and later than all my peers. Despite that effort, I never caught a break- for seven years!

Harley was not impressed by my tale. Either he didn't understand the words out of my mouth or he didn't believe them. Maybe I was exaggerating or leaving out important details, he thought? Whatever the reason, he didn't express any empathy for my story despite the similarities of what he was going through.

"If I could just make $26/hr, everything would work out."

Those were almost his exact words. I remember the number specifically $26/hr.

I continued the story of my plight and the happy ending when I quit my job of zero acknowledgements and ended up at a place where I could seemingly "do nothing wrong". It was a complete reversal of fortune for me! I maintained my effort and contribution so that didn't change, but my surrounding was different and good things just kept falling on me.

My message was to keep doing his best, keep the odds in his favor, and eventually it would pay off.

" People want you to succeed. Good people want to help you. You have to meet them half way and wait your turn. "

"You are so naive that you are annoying! You don't know the people here! They are only looking out for themselves!"

"Have you met them half way?"

"That does not matter? They should pay me more first if they want me to do more!"

"It doesn't work that way. Business doesn't work that way. You have to provide a service before the money comes. At least go halfway to demonstrate your abilities."

"No. I'll do all that and get nothing for it."

And we reached an impasse.

About a year later, a new company moved into the area. It was a start up and they were aggressively hiring motivated people.

"I've been offered a job." Harley told me.

"My starting pay is $26/hr."

fiby41

Re: The world is against me!

Post by fiby41 »

Most definitely startups pay less than companies with a positive cash flow and give more in company stock.