Teach For America, Americore, and their like?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
TopHatFox

Teach For America, Americore, and their like?

Post by TopHatFox »

Are these programs just another white man's burden type of endeavor? Are they the fancy, resume equivalent of Investment Banking for the not-for-profit inclined elite liberal arts student? Are they merely a way to teach and be poor?

What's the deal with TFA and Americore -- a recruiter offered a informational interview with me, and I'm not convinced I should even go and listen. I don't really like teaching anyway.

Any of you ever done a program like it?

Peanut

Re: Teach For America, Americore, and their like?

Post by Peanut »

I don't know anything about Americorp but I know a bit about TFA. Teach for America is actually not primarily interested in getting its participants into teaching careers. It's more about getting people who will eventually move into other fields (business, politics, etc) experience in the education system so that they will establish a connection to public education and a commitment to improving it later on in their hopefully influential lives. Some will stay in education of course, but I don't believe it's the majority, and it's not intended to be. All that being said, if you don't enjoy teaching I wouldn't pursue it.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I interview a fair number of people who have gone through these programs. For many it is a good option coming out of college if they need a job but are not sure what they want to do longer-term. It provides some real world "first real job" experience and looks decent on a resume.

It's probably not as good as a job in a particular field, but better than an unskilled barista/waiter type job, and way better than running off to get more degrees because you are uncertain about what to do next. If one of my kids comes out of college saying "I don't know what I want to do next", I would strongly encourage him to try something like this.

DW did the Catholic version ("Jesuit Volunteer Corp") back in the day and it was a formative experience for her. She also learned to live on baked potatoes in a house with 10 other people, but I think JVC is way more spartan that these programs.

But if you don't like teaching and have other decent options, its probably not for you.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

My ex-girlfriend did Americore and visited most states that way. She said it was very rewarding and would recommend it. It depends on you, interview & listen to other people's experiences, what they did-see if it appeals to you.

If you don't like teaching, don't do TfA.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

My boss's kids did Americorps and Peace Corps. The Peace Corps girl spent 2 years in Africa teaching. It was not without some harrowing moments, but she came out with her stipend money, and got a free ride to some international school in Europe, and then a sweet job with the government. I'm sure the Peace Corps gave her an edge on the grad school thing, (plus she's a brilliant student and speaks several languages), but I think successful Peace Corps veterans unofficially are the first ones considered for certain government positions.

His other daughter did Americorps, basically doing the same thing her sister did in Africa in an under-served area in the US. She, too, went to grad school, and didn't get free ride, there was some consideration for her service, etc. She's studying in a completely different field, as well, and I doubt the government service thing will come into play for her.

For both of them, it was an incredible learning experience where they made contacts that have been really important to them. I think for both of them they were MAJOR "growing up" experiences, and established for both of them a firm hold in the idea of public service of some sort thru life, whether in government or just in the community. Both of their parents had backgrounds doing similar things at that age.