Study: 1 in 5 CEOs are psychopaths

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Tyler9000

Study: 1 in 5 CEOs are psychopaths

Post by Tyler9000 »

Honestly I don't find this data point too surprising.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... udy-finds/

However, I think they may be missing the point by focusing on hiring practices. In my experience, startups have just as high a percentage of CEO psychopaths as established companies, so clearly it's not simply an employee screening issue. Now a market selection issue where being a psychopath is a strong indicator of someone who is driven enough to overcome great obstacles to succeed at all costs? I can see that.

jennypenny

Re: Study: 1 in 5 CEOs are psychopaths

Post by jennypenny »

I thought of this thread watching the WF CEO. Watching Bloomberg/CNBC is like playing 'spot the psychopath' now. It could be a reality TV show.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

it was all about deepening relationships though.

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

@jp: do you think firing 5,100+ employees while refusing to resign qualifies as failure to take responsibility for one's own actions, one of the 20 items on the Hare Psychopathy Checklist?

See also The Psychopath Test for a discussion of former Honeywell CEO Albert Dunlap's psychopathic tendencies.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I don't really feel qualified to make that kind of judgement. Other forum members are more well-versed in this area. My point was only that if Bloomberg has 10 CEOs on over the course of the morning, statistically 2 are psychopaths. It's a strange thing to contemplate while I'm watching.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

1 in 5 responded to the study. 4/5 are undetermined.