Next job: technical or management?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
SimpleLife

Re: Next job: technical or management?

Post by SimpleLife »

BRUTE wrote:
SimpleLife wrote:I could get a new job easily.
maybe this is the solution?

Ummmm...What is my question in this thread????? It's about a new job, whether it should be management or technical. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yet after going around the world with theories that I'm depressed or really a garbage truck driver, you tell me maybe getting a new job is the solution, when that was the very question I was asking in this thread!!!!! You, are part of the problem...Ignore list you go.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

SimpleLife wrote:... and a ton of education and skills, not to mention certs so I could get a new job easily.
Why would ERE know what would be better for you if you've already developed all the systems to analyze it? Are you unconsciously looking for 'permission' to quit?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

SimpleLife wrote:You, are part of the problem...Ignore list you go.
happy to help

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I don't think OP has a case of depression, more like a case of elitism combined with a touch of analysis paralysis. You constantly complain about all the 'morons' at work, yet do nothing about it. You most likely secretly enjoy working with them and looking down on them. If you truly hated your job, you'd leave.

I can understand your frustration with people that don't seem to understand/comprehend things that you understand. My tolerance for work BS has been tested quite extensively over the past couple of months. Life is too short to obsess over it. From time to time I suffer from elitism as well, but I catch myself and realize it's a quick route to a very miserable life.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

BRUTE wrote:
SimpleLife wrote:You, are part of the problem...Ignore list you go.
happy to help
I got intrigued, I've now added you to my friends list. Just to see what it does...

Don't tell me, I want to experience it for myself!

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute has no clue what "friend" or "foe" lists do. if FBeyer finds out, brute encourages him to report.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Being an INTJ, I try to solve root causes of problems. As such I try to analytically find patterns and develop a theory then test that theory for accuracy.
Well, I'm an ENTJ, and I do the same thing. And my point with my original post is that maybe, just maybe, you're not digging far enough down to find the root of the problem. I don't know if you're depressed or not--as I said in my post, I didn't know I was until it became clear that I was.

Look, you're really smart. I'm really smart, too. I know I'm in the top 2% IQ-wise, and sometimes people do dumb shit that gets all over me. I am really quick to see patterns and make connections and figure out how things work and how to get to the end. But then I remember that while I may have talents and abilities, others have different talents and abilities, so I try to appreciate people where they're at. And you know, sometimes it's really, really hard.

Even more important than IQ is EQ--emotional intelligence. A person can be super smart, great at their job, but if they can't get along with people, can't deal with people, can't deal with the ups and downs of dealing with day-to-day shit and incompetence that one encounters unless they live alone in a cave and never interact with anyone in person, over the phone, or online, they are not going to be successful in life. Or if they are successful (depending on the definition of success) they still may not be happy.

You can get a job on the technical side, or the management side, or go into Human Resources, or be a financial planner, or whatever else, but unless you can figure out a way to live and work with other people, you're probably not going to be very content. I used to have a poster in my office reminding me that "The common element in all your bad relationships is you." Meaning: what did I do to contribute to the situation to make it worse? And I had to be honest--sometimes it really was me and how I dealt with people.

GandK

Post by GandK »

EdithKeeler wrote:I used to have a poster in my office reminding me that "The common element in all your bad relationships is you."
Oh, I love Despair.com! Is this it?

And you're right about happiness. There are two questions I have to ask myself regularly to keep me focused: "Is it more important to be right or to be happy?" and "Will this still matter next month?"

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Yes, that's the one! (I misquoted. Sorry!).

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Simple life - what is the response you are looking for? "Technical" is the answer to your question.

Part of the deal for someone smart like you, if they are going to lead, is building up other people. All that stupidity is your chance to make them better. But people have to like and trust you first. It's infuriatingly slow, requires allowing failure, and helping to clean up messes.

Once you've earned trust, you get respect, then people listen. Even then, leading means less time doing the stuff you are awesome at, which IMO, sucks.

I've purposefully slowed my career, because I find it frustrating to be that supportive person. Maybe you should consider something similar?

GandK

Post by GandK »

Scott 2 wrote:Once you've earned trust, you get respect, then people listen. Even then, leading means less time doing the stuff you are awesome at, which IMO, sucks.

I've purposefully slowed my career, because I find it frustrating to be that supportive person. Maybe you should consider something similar?
Yes. Corporate America is all about "promotions" as rewards, and will eventually try to promote competent technical people too, because that's their default way to reward people regardless of whether those people want to become managers or have any business being managers.

(This happens to others as well. Yes, it's a great honor for her to promote the department secretary to IT manager. But that won't magically make her behave like one. Stick around long enough and you'll see that, too.)

For me, before I walked away, the key was basically to keep the focus on maximizing my ability to reach my own goals, as opposed to the goals of my employer. And whenever I had to choose between money and happiness I chose the latter, because in the end, money is about providing things that lead to happiness.

pukingRainbows

Post by pukingRainbows »

I would say technical because management potentially puts you in contact with more "incompetent" people, both above you and below you.
I think that would just further frustrate you.

I would also consider a different company entirely as the business culture doesn't seem to suit you.

It sounds like people there are pretty lackadaisical about their work. If you could find an environment that was more driven, you might be happier. Start up? Academic? Consulting? Your own business? Who knows? But since you are comfortable financially, you have the freedom to explore and see what works for you.

Good luck!

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

pukingRainbows wrote: I would also consider a different company entirely as the business culture doesn't seem to suit you.
+1.

IMHO, SimpleLife's frustration doesn't sound like a technical vs. management issue. It's a people/culture issue.

You really only have three options:
1) Adapt to the environment
2) Change the environment
3) Find an alternative environment that suits you

The important thing to realize is that "environment" is not defined by job responsibilities. It's more about the business culture that transcends personal duties. There are good ones and bad ones, and it sounds like you're stuck in a bad one (for you). Think outside the corporate box.