EdX course on Personal Finance

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Eureka

EdX course on Personal Finance

Post by Eureka »

I am on this forum because I am excited about the tremendous perspectives of FI. However, this has made me realize that I need to learn about finance and investments. Thus, I found a course on Personal Finance on EdX, which starts about today, and think I will give it a try (or does anyone has any better suggestions?)

https://www.edx.org/course/personal-fin ... financex#!

How to manage your finances and make better financial decisions
The time value of money
Basics of stock markets and investments
The proper role of credit and how to use it judiciously
How insurance works
The interplay between investments, credit and insurance
The importance of saving for retirement sooner rather than later

Dragline

Re: EdX course on Personal Finance

Post by Dragline »

I'm not familiar with that in particular, but it looks like a fine place to start to me. Part of this is finding the right kind of medium -- some like getting their information from books, others from slide presentations, others from podcasts, others from instructors. Whatever motivates you to learn it is the right one for you.

I like the fact that its not provided by any particular "part" of the finance industry, as each part tends to recommend its own products (i.e., information sponsored by insurance companies will recommend insurance products, brokers will recommend brokerage accounts, mutual fund companies recommend mutual funds, etc.)

After savings and budgeting, the most important part of personal finance/investing is avoiding high fees.

Gilberto de Piento

Re: EdX course on Personal Finance

Post by Gilberto de Piento »