How to Get Letters of Recommendation?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
Gilberto de Piento

How to Get Letters of Recommendation?

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I don't have any letters of recommendation. I do have two written references on my LinkedIn page. I am currently looking for a new job and, though none of the jobs seem to need a letter, it is best to be prepared.

At my current employer there are two or three managers that I used to be under that I could ask for a letter and LinkedIn reference. One of them is moving on and I'd like to catch him before he does. I could also ask management from my previous employer - they have already provided the LinkedIn references.

Is it appropriate to ask for letters from managers at my current employer? Do I get actual paper or Word docs or pdfs? Anything else I need to know?

Scott 2

Re: How to Get Letters of Recommendation?

Post by Scott 2 »

Will people accept a written letter? Typically I've been asked for or asked for someone to talk to.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I've definitely had that too but I've seen jobs that require a letter. Maybe it isn't that common and I don't need to worry about it.

Duke Thunder

Post by Duke Thunder »

In the workforce, I've never been asked for a written recommendation or know anyone my age who has. My nearly-retired father has some that he keeps around, so I wonder if it's something that was more popular in the past. But as for me, people usually ask for the name, position, phone number, and email address of my reference.

It would be a real pain to get a letter from my old bosses now. It's one of the (many) things that keeps me from applying to grad school!